Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The wife and I were thinking of making a trip to the Asheville area and we were wondering if there were many bike parks or trails in that general area?

We prefer beginner singletrack, doubletrack and fire roads, no pavement, so we were wondering if there are plenty of places that fit that description in the Asheville area.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
WNC, and Asheville in particular, is the Eastern U.S. Mountain Biking Mecca.
WNC I guess is Western NC ?

We are looking at a retirement place and it must have some good biking areas so Asheville is being considered. We love Boulder Colorado but the housing costs and long cold winter are a deterrent.

We are currently in Williamsburg Virginia for a week, to bike and besides the bad weather, rain, the biking here is great. There are 3 large bike parks all within about 20 minutes of the city and they are great. The place just does not appeal to us for retirement so the search continues and from your message it seems Asheville might be a great candidate.

Any additional information or links would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

·
endorphin junkie
422 Posts
WNC I guess is Western NC ?

Any additional information or links would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!
Yes, WNC is Western North Carolina, the mountain region. The Eastern US mecca indeed. Hundreds if not thousands of miles of trails.

Search around in the threads of this forum, as a significant number of them are about this area, and the question about where to ride comes up frequently. Look for info on areas like Bent Creek, Tsali, Dupont Forest, Pisgah Forest (though more advanced), as well as other areas in a larger radius.

For more information, he MTBWNC website is a great place to start: Mountain Biking in Western North Carolina - MTBWNC.info
and also the local MTB Club and advocacy group: Pisgah Area SORBA

·
endorphin junkie
422 Posts
I could have moved anywhere in the Continental United States... I chose Asheville. Pisgah is out my back door, Bent Creek is 10 minutes down the road, and everything else is an easy drive, including North Georgia. It is AWESOME.
LOL, when I read that, for just a second I thought maybe I wrote it. Except Bent Creek is out my back door and Pisgah is 10 minutes down the trail. (OK, maybe more like 45 minutes to get up and over Bent Creek Gap... 40 on a good day)

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
LOL, when I read that, for just a second I thought maybe I wrote it. Except Bent Creek is out my back door and Pisgah is 10 minutes down the trail. (OK, maybe more like 45 minutes to get up and over Bent Creek Gap... 40 on a good day)
Sounds good so far, however I have never been there before. I have spent a lot of time in NC, mostly Topsail Island and Wilmington which is a nice City but need a little more to be happy.

I love Boulder and everything about that area but it is very expensive as a retirement place. I would like to keep working for a while and I work in the construction industry which may not be in high demand in Asheville but I would guess I could find something to do. We need to start thinking about getting out of the NY/NJ area, good saleries but the cost of living is equally as high.

·
drunken pirate
1,414 Posts
The recession has finally hit the construction industry here :madman:. You probably could find something to do but the salaries and wages are ridiculously low. Unless you are at the top of the ladder you aren't going to be making anything.

Still there is no place I would rather live and work. And the slower work gets the more I get to ride and play. I just hope I'm able to eat this winter.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.