Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Competitive Edge Racing
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are the trails at Ascutney in yet or are they still too fragile? I'm in Western MA (Springfield area) and mostly everything is good to go. Was hoping to blow off work Monday and head up...

H

·
0 Posts
Saw a guy in the Ascutney parking lot today racking his muddy bike, then saw his wheel ruts all over the trails. I think a lot of people are coming up to their VT vacay homes from MA, CT, and NY to wait out this crisis and may not realize that trails up here open much later than their home trails. Hopefully the big icy patches in the woods were a clue?

Anyway, it's been great weather for exploring the beautiful dirt roads on the other side of Rt. 44. Great views, hardly any traffic and as much social distance as you could want.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Checking in with Ascutney - how are conditions? Big rains yesterday? I'm thinking of going up tomorrow (Saturday), are all trails now open on the mountain? Thank you.

·
Banned
2,674 Posts
Checking in with Ascutney - how are conditions? Big rains yesterday? I'm thinking of going up tomorrow (Saturday), are all trails now open on the mountain? Thank you.
All of Vermont is very dry. Yesterdays rain came through in an hour. Last nights ride was perfect dirt.

If someone was going to do a 3 hours ride at STAB, with a few thousand verts., what would be the *Hit List* for someone that likes technical Mountain Biking?
Thnks.

·
Registered
126 Posts
it's very easy to hit those parameters, I usually start at the outdoor center, head up Wind Up and initially head to the left to the new quarry look out (Steam Donkey it's called on TF), then come down Broadway/Fifth Ave to Last mile bringing me back to the top of Wind Up. From there Last Mile to Grace's Loop, Falls from Grace, Falls Trail, Nimbus to the cluster of Cloud Climbers up to Lynx - this is where is starts getting really good! Lynx to Escolator, connect back to Lync (add in Rock N Rool lollipop for good measure) to Grassy Knoll (my fav section) to Southern Ridge to the Class 4 Road... THEN up Ridgeback (awesome trail, not that well traveled and low on the maintained), to junction with Southern Belle and down back to the class 4 road making your way back to the Town Forest Lot. At this point I head back up Cloud Climbers so I can come down Pass The Buck and Quarry Trail/Chase...Nimbus to Cort's Jester then Home Again back to the Outdoor Center. That's it in a nut shell for me, there are many variations and other trails sections you could substitute, but that pretty much covers the entire mountain, has really nice tech, climby as hell and 3-4 hours depending on pace (obviously) but MORE SO familiarity with the intersections - there are A LOT of intersections. Some people complain about lack of flow, which I get, but once you get the system down it totally works!

·
Registered
126 Posts
and crap, I thought the out of state restriction was being lifted on the 13th, guess I was wrong as I just looked up, it's the 15th.

·
Banned
2,674 Posts
it's very easy to hit those parameters..... intersections - there are A LOT of intersections. Some people complain about lack of flow, which I get, but once you get the system down it totally works!
Bummer to hear. Don't love that kind of place. I like the trail at Millstone, but loath the trail density and don't ride there.

I'll try and find a guide if I ever head that way. Thanks.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Everything open and more on the "too dry" side than the "too wet."

I don't know where you are from, but current state regs. say we are open to Vermonters and people from areas with low COVID conditions (only counties in blue on this map:
Screen Shot 2020-06-13 at 8.07.39 AM.jpg

·
Registered
126 Posts
out of state (STAB member) from a green county. Regs were confusing, oh well, I'll have to wait. weather is PERFECT!!!!

·
Registered
218 Posts
Ascutney Trails are closed to mountain biking from November 14th through December 15. Come back for some hit-or-miss fat biking (no grooming). Or rejoin us next spring for the opening of the 6-mile connector trail to Swoops & Loops in May.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts