Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could use some input from the tribe as I am considering an AS-X. Can I do a reasonable build in a large frame with 7" front and rear and have it weigh 34 lbs?? Or am I dreaming? Also, I have heard the rear end on these bikes is flexy unless you land straight, true or not? Any input appreciated.:thumbsup: :cool:

·
Phil from San Diego
581 Posts
Maybe... I have a medium, built it more as a trail bike and it weighs 36lbs. I didn't use alot of ultra-light/expensive parts either so it might be doable.

Good luck,

Phil

·
www.yetifan.com
722 Posts
I have been told that near to the 32lbs marker is possible, but if you are worried about a flexy rear end, then at this weight you will just break everything.

I don't feel the back end is over flexy, although its nowhere near as rock hard as my old DH-8 was, but it does have a QR axle, so thats probably where it all comes from. I wish Yeti could make a 12mm type set up. Maybe that will be in the future on a new bike?

I run my AS-X with fox 36's , Deemax, Diablos, DHX Ti spring,Saint cranks and brakes. Its a pretty good weight (not got any scales though) but the major factor in how it pedals is the tyres, Fit my Maxxis Highroller/Minion combo (2.5 UST) and its good for DH fun in the Alps, but for everything else, I run Continental Diesel/Vertical UST. The rear tyre's tend to get hammered though.

some pics for ideas of builds at- http://www.yetifan.com/as-x.html

Andrew
~(Yetifan.com - since 2001)

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input, I guess as I am 6'0" tall and right between the M and L, maybe a M with a longer stem will work better for trail riding. I think I could build the bike at 35 or 36 pounds which is 2 lbs heavier than my Spec Enduro Expert. What do you think???

·
Registered
92 Posts
Large should do you good for trail riding. I'm 6'-1" and built a medium but it is mostly for DH racing: RST dual-crown fork (it's a sponsorship thing) Mammoth rims, 8" brakes, stout as a tank. It weighs 41# that way.

Oh, and it's for sale :D . Got a sponsorship from Transition; gotta make room for a Gran Mal. I'm going to kinda miss being part of the Tribe.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
if you're into trail riding .. grab a 575 w/ a DHX 5 air. The as-x isn't that pedal friendly ... the 575 is capable of smooth drops/jumps etc.. and can be built super light.. a 32 lbs 575.

i ride a large as-x .. and it is heavy.. .granted last time i weighed it.. it had a .243'hunk of stem on it. with an 05 66rc ... I'm 6'1" and weigh just over 2 benjamins. I've trail ridden this bike before.. but its more like trail hike up and a trail ride down.

Unless you're wanting to get into the FR territory .. i say 575 100%. w/ a lyric... but before you buy .. go test ride.. i know yeti just updated their demo fleet tour dates.. see if one is near you and head that way... they'll be able to answer tons of ?s ...

- happy riding

·
Registered
754 Posts
Man, i get so excited when hear of others on the verge of picking up an as-x. I've had my medium now for a year and a half and i couldn't have chosen a better freeride frame. Granted, you are intersted in building yours as more of an all-mountain rig, but rest assured that the as-x is a very versatile frame. The travel adjustment on the rate link makes a tremendous difference in the attitude of the frame. In the 6" mode, sag is greatly reduced (without touching the rear shock) and the bike pedals much more like the 575.

To hit the 35 lb mark isn't difficult with the right build. I wouldn't worry alot about marginal rear end flex if this is your light freeride and trail rig... I've ridden it all on the as-x and it handles big drops, technical dh and fast singletrack very well for a non 12mm rear end.

If i were you, i would build it with a lyric, crossmax xl's, a single ply 2.3 tire with XC tubes, sram x-9, deus cranks, Race Face carbon bar and stem/post of your choice... That should land you well under 38 pounds, even with a dhx 5.0 and a steel coil. (btw- the dhx air is great and should be considered for weight savings.)

For comparison purposes, with a totem 2 step, 729's 3x'ed to hope pro II's, x9 drivetrain, saint brakes, e 13 drs, holzefeller cranks, husselfest stem/bar/seatpost, and a dhx coil (steel) my medium asx weighs roughly 40lbs. A majority of that heft is in the 2.5 minions and DH tubes.

Lastly, I would go for a large if this will be a trailbike. I am 6'1'' and 180 lbs, and the med feels great for FR, but cramped in the top tube for longer rides.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.