Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am considering to buy a AS-X and build it as freeride/DH/hardcore trailbike.
But when I check the sizing chart on the Yeti website it appears that I fall in between the small and medium sized frames!!
I am 174cm / 5.7' and comfortable on a medium Turner 5 Spot.
What size should I get for my riding style??? (got a great bargain on a Medium)

Z.

·
Registered
184 Posts
depends on what you will be using it mostly for. DH i would say go w/ the small. Trailriding go w/ the medium. I am 5 11 and have a large. I will be downsizing to a medium for my next frame if that say anything. I use it as a trail bike.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I'm 5'6" (short legs long torso) and have a small but I'm running a 110mm stem. I also use it as a trail bike. So my guess is you will be alright on a Med with a short stem (50mm-70mm). hope this helps.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Doro:
I will use it for everything my 5 Spot cannot handle. Mainly freeride and light downhill at the bikeparks.
The rougher trails in the neighbourhood as well so I should be somewhat comfortable for climbing.
I am planning to use an adjustable fork, but still need to find out what will suit my needs (Totem 2step / 66 SL ATA )

Jet Fixer:
Are you doing drops and skinnies?

Z.

·
Registered
216 Posts
no skinnies; smaller drops the bike has spent alot of time in boulder city and cowboy trails in vegas. I like it for the rockier terrain. I'm running a Vanilla 36 on it now but I've been thinking of slapping on a 66sl eta let me know how that works out.

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
I am about 176cm, with legs on the short side. My Medium with 60mm stem feels short going up the hill but it is very good for going down.

·
No e-drama please!!
142 Posts
I am 6'2" tall & just built up a Medium 2004 ASX with a 2003 Black Boxed BOXXER World Cup fork..
Rode it alot today & it its perfect.Went through all kinds of terrain.Nasty DH sections & Hawaiian looking flowy trails..
A large would also work for me of course-but i can throw the medium around better & flow through narly DH sections better...
I use an E13 guide with a 42T ring only so i push alot which is what i prefer.But with the seat jacked it feels fine & not cramped..

·
going for a ride
581 Posts
Z-Blocker said:
Ok I went for the Medium sized one and .. It feels good!
As soon the weekend starts I will see how it is on the trail.

Z.
First of all, congratulations on the new ride, I'm envious. I'm been flipping back and forth between the asx and nomad myself. BTW, we're the same height, with legs on the short side as well. I've been debating if I get an asx, whether I should get the small for it's er, smaller size, shorter tt length, my only gripe being the 4" headtube, and I read on some review that some guy is hitting his fork on his downtube and he has a small frame.
So let me know how it fits you and hopefully that'll help with my final decision some which bike to get, or at least what size asx I should pick up if I go that way. Good riding.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
mini test

1+1 said:
So let me know how it fits you and hopefully that'll help with my final decision some which bike to get, or at least what size asx I should pick up if I go that way.
Yesterday I was tweaking the propedal setting on the DHX and did a very short tour on the street.
I noticed that this medium feels smaller than I was expecting from it, which is a good thing IMO.
There are no trails in the direct neighbouthood so I went to hit a stairway but I had to much speed and didn't touch any steps. Landed from 4' to flat, but smooth. :D
It almost felt like normal.
Because of the unusual bad wheather that is as far as testing went.

Z.

·
going for a ride
581 Posts
thanks z, when the weather clears up maybe you can beat on it a little more and see how it rides really. I'm very curious about brake jack/squat on the asx. I'm on the verge of decision between this bike and a nomad. I cannot live without an fs much longer. Ok maybe another couple of weeks or so.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Also considering an AS-X. I am 6'0" tall, will trail ride mainly over rough, rocky terrain and some drops/DH. Can a size M frame work for me with a longer stem or should I "forget about it" and go with the L? Opinions?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
AS-X @ work

1+1 said:
thanks z, when the weather clears up maybe you can beat on it a little more and see how it rides really. I'm very curious about brake jack/squat on the asx. I'm on the verge of decision between this bike and a nomad. I cannot live without an fs much longer. Ok maybe another couple of weeks or so.
Yesterday I had a change to check out the bike. It was also the first time I did that trail so I cannot compare correctly.
The trail was fast with some sharp switchbacks and a few drops. As one of my riding buddies came with a small truck we did the trail maybe 15 times.

Coming from a 5 Spot (which is claimed brake jack free) I couldn't detect anything unusual.
Even when I used the brakes hard on a very steep rocky part of the trail.
I never rode a Nomad so I cannot compare but they look very different to me.

tls36 said:
Also considering an AS-X. I am 6'0" tall, will trail ride mainly over rough, rocky terrain and some drops/DH. Can a size M frame work for me with a longer stem or should I "forget about it" and go with the L? Opinions?
Not sure but from my (little) experience and from the things I read here a Medium will fit you fine when you do a lot of shuttled rides, north shore style stuff and a lot of air time.
It might be that you hit the bars with your knees when doing seated climbs and turns.
If you want climb it to the trailhead and do long alpine trips a Large will probably fit you better.
It depends a bit what you are used. One of my bike buddies has a Medium too and is a bit bigger than you are (I think) and he likes it the way it is.

Now I just need to get another fork. The fork that came with the bike (used one) is a '05 Marzocchi 66RC 150mm. The fork is way to long for the amount of travel I get. A Totem or '07 66 is only 7mm higher and has 30mm more travel. It isn't light either. Any suggestions?

Z.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.