Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Looking at the Jenson sale, trying to determine the right size. 5'11.5", with a 33'' cycling inseam. i currently have a turner with a 23.9 TT/100mm stem w/ zero setback seatpost, feels great, but I'd really rather not go longer on an xc bike.

the yeti would be replacing an 18"/23.0" TT/110mm stem w/ layback seatpost moots ybb. great frame, but i'd like more travel, and don't really dig the saddle-to-handlebar drop, along with the slightly cramped cockpit.

i run 740mm, from center of the bb to saddle top.

is the short headtube on the medium going to screw me up, saddle to bar drop wise ? would a large (24.4 TT) with a 90mm stem handle like a boat?

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I'm 5'11" (34" inseam) and rode a Med for a year and a half. It usually felt too small for me, but was really agile and felt almost like a BMX bike. If I used longer than a 110mm x 10 deg stem, the bike got sketchy cornering. I think the ASR likes short stems.

I'd go large w/ a 90 mm stem if your trails reward a stable bike (wide open and fast, with long descents).

I'd go with a Medium if your trails are tight, twisty and rolling. The medium was an absolute blast under these conditions, can't imagine it being any faster.

My trails are more like the first scenario, so in retrospect, I should have had a Large.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am 5' 10 1/2" with 34" inseam and currently ride an Intense Spider XVP large (which I love). I spent the better part of the day demo' ing an ASR5 medium with an 80mm stem at Crested Butte last week. The previous day I rode a large SC Blur LT and thought it was way too cramped. The Yeti felt great by comparison. (I am not sure if the regular ASR is any more or less stretched out than the 5 so you'll have to check that out).

Riding is the best option of course, but I thought the Med was plenty roomy for me. My 2 cents anyway.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts