Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
In my mind, I can do it!
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a friend looking for a new steed and he is looking in the AS-R stable. I think he is probably around 200-210#. Is the AS-R a clyde worthy bike? He's not a jumper or hucker.

·
Now with 20% more fat!!
2,031 Posts
Not sure what type of riding he wants to do in the future, or what type of rider he is now, but...

I was around 225 when I bought my bike and the LBS and Yeti both told me to get the 575. With him weighing around 210 and then add a pack and water etc., I would guess a 575 would serve him best. I'd call Yeti and the LBS and ask them what they recommend for his weight and riding style. He could always build a 575 with lighter and XCish parts if that's his goal.

·
Who is John Galt?
1,771 Posts
I'd second the 575 recommendation. I rode both before I bought and felt like I could twist the AS-R in half with one pedal stroke. Still thought I would get one eventually to race, but after riding the 575 for awhile I think I could be just as fast on it.

·
On your left.
1,188 Posts
not likely

A 5lb frame under a 200-210lb rider is not going to give great snappy feedback. It isn't about the frame breaking, I doubt that wold happen. The AS-R is an XC race bike that does remarkably well on XC level downhills. If that is what you friend is looking for I would call Yeti to see if they can do a custom build with some thicker tubing. Or go with a 575. Or check with Ventana - they have a reputation for very sturdy reasonably light bikes.

iviguy said:
I have a friend looking for a new steed and he is looking in the AS-R stable. I think he is probably around 200-210#. Is the AS-R a clyde worthy bike? He's not a jumper or hucker.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.