Fox 32 Vanilla fork
Industry 9 AM wheelset
X9/XT drivetrain
Magura Louise brakes
RaceFace bars, stem, seatpost, cranks, rings, grips
BelAir SDG saddle in Snow Camo
King headset
Kenda Nevegals 2.35

I may change to X9 triggers as it is a big reach to the levers. The bike rides amazing. Really great traction going uphill, carves corners like nothing I've ever owned. I feel like I sit "in" the bike rather than on it. I find that the BB is lower than my last bike though and I keep hitting my pedals on roots and stuff (I've only gone for 2 real rides so far)

Feel free to ask any questions, I'll answer to the best of my abilities. I'll write a more detailed ride report as I get more miles on this thing

·
Premium Member
10,683 Posts
Looks great, the orange cables and head set cap look sweet, just sets the whole bike off..

You will be stoked with the I9 wheels, mine are still so true after 14 months thrashing....

Enjoy...........

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The 350 is not too bad, I used the chart on the Santa Cruz website to decide. I've got a little too much sag for my liking but I'm trying to lose some weight as well. I may go down to my LBS and see if they'll trade me for a 400. I don't have enough time on the bike yet

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
I have some Q's (I lurk around the Jamis and AM forums):

1. What type of riding do you do?
2. Why EX4.2d rims vs. EX5.1d? (I chose the 5.1's and I wonder if it was overkill)
3. Why Magura's? (I'm a Juicy fan...don't know much 'bout Louise...curious)
4. Do you adjust the DHX much or do you think a Van R would have sufficed? (I got the Van and like it so far)
5. Were you tempted to go Fox 36 instead of your 32? (weight issue?) (still struggling with this one)
6. Where'd ya get the orange top cap? (I want a red one)

I love the Heckler, man! Can I have it?:thumbsup:

·
Older & Slower
656 Posts
I noticed the lower BB also...

I have "tapped" the trail a few times also (coming off 6 years on a Bullit). Does anyone think the BB is too low? It hasn't been a big problem for me yet.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
1. I do all kinds of riding. Mostly "aggressive" XC. I climb to the top of all my downhills. Drops up to the 5'-6' range so far. I even comute to work on it.

2. That's what the I9 wheelset was made with. I honestly don't even know the difference between 4.2/5.1. (mine are XR 4.2d if it makes a difference)

3. I'm a Magura fan. I still have a set of the red John Tomac HS-33's on my wife's bike. I heard good things about the Louise's on here and in MBA.

4. I have only played with the DHX a bit since building the bike. I do like having the adjustment options though. I have no experience with a Vanilla R so I can't comment.

5. 32 all the way. I wanted a QR axle. Travel is perfect for what SC recommends. I don't think my riding style requires a 36

6. www.purelycustom.com Lots of choices. I got bar plugs and presta valve caps as well. I need to get some bottle cage bolts though

chelboed said:
I love the Heckler, man! Can I have it?:thumbsup:
NO!:nono:

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
MrClean said:
(mine are XR 4.2d if it makes a difference)
Oops...I meant XR, hehe.

I've been to Purlycustom's site a while back. I'll have to go back. The Heckler looks like "the bike for me". It's tough, fairly light, simple, good climber, good descender...did you order it as a kit/built/build piece by piece?

I think the only thing I'd change is that I'd order a large and go with an 80mm or so stem. (I'm 6'1" - 6'2")

Thanks for sharing...I'm jealous. (my XLT is too)

·
Registered
455 Posts
Muy bonita, senor limpio... love the white.
I'm a little surprised you went for a medium at your height. How d'ya find it with that 100m stem? Do you ever find it tucking under you a little?

I'm undecided as to go for a 32 or 36 myself. The extra 20mm of travel on the 36 is no big deal, it's just the '08 has a QR bolt-thru which looks like exactly what I want. What's the 32 like stiffness-wise? any movement under hard braking or in deep ruts?

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
I've got a 2005 Fox 32 Vanilla R 130mm and had it PUSH'd this year. Without a doubt the plushest fork I've owned. Definately stiff enough to handle off camber ruts, rocks, and roots. The work that PUSH did vaulted the Vanilla into another league as far as performance IMO. It makes everything dissapear. More sensative to small stuff, yet doesn't bottom out either.

Wouldn't mind trying out a "through axle" fork on my local trails, but it'd be a little overkill for me I think. I love the 4.2lb weight too.

If I had some FR trails, I'd be more motivated to move over to the 36 Van.

Hey Mr. Clean...how much does she weigh?

·
Registered
455 Posts
Good to hear, chelboed. 32s are cheaper too, i could pretty much buy a wheel & brake with the change.
I really rate a stiff-steering setup as I ride a lot of rooty switchbacks, and I HATE that 'twangy' feeling of an over-stressed front end, particularly with a biggish disc on there and my powerful Hopes.

·
nerfherder
1,674 Posts
MrClean said:
I may change to X9 triggers as it is a big reach to the levers.
Good looking ride, MrClean. Well done. I didn't think I'd like the white either. But it looks very clean.

As for the long reach to the brakes try these.

I think I've seen short lock on grips before, too, but couldn't find any in my quick search on the internets.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I'm undecided as to go for a 32 or 36 myself. The extra 20mm of travel on the 36 is no big deal, it's just the '08 has a QR bolt-thru which looks like exactly what I want. What's the 32 like stiffness-wise? any movement under hard braking or in deep ruts?[/QUOTE]

Having ridden both the 32 and 36 Vanilla (36 on the Heckler), I can say that the 36 is definitely noticeably stiffer and plusher. At 6' with a 60mm stem, my large Heckler has incredible handling and is great for aggressive trail riding and light FR/DH. However, if you're more into climbing and XCish riding the 32 is probably a better option.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Maybe a dumb question, but why medium? It seems that the smaller frame would be good for your 5' drops, ect.. but whata bout the climbing performance/stretch & comfort?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
chelboed - I built it piece by piece after scouring over reviews on here and my own personal experience/favourites. She weighs 30.5lbs

Franz - I like the size for me. I was lucky enough to test ride last year's Hecker in a medium and I knew it was for me. I really like the 100mm stem, especially on climbs. My last ride was an 18" 1998 GT STS with a 120mm stem so this setup feels compact. I don't notice any flex in the front end or have any tracking issues with the 32

Stumpy_Steve - The medium fits me. I would have been way too cramped on a small

·
Get Down Do you
573 Posts
Nice looking rig. I am curious to see how your 4.2ds hold up with some heavy riding/heavy rider. I ride them pretty heavily but you have an easy 30-40lbs on me.

Enjoy it!

btw: we use the same barber :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 50 Posts