Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm skiing this year (my first time doing this race) but I'm curious about others who have ridden (or otherwise completed) this race. What have you used for fuel? I have many years of guiding and traveling in severe cold weather, but this type of energy expenditure is kinda new to me. Any thoughts about cold weather nutrition under "racing" conditions?

Thanks JK

·
Registered
263 Posts
I'm wondering this as well. I am fascinated with this race. I'm going to attempt trans-iowa this year and see how it goes. Training time is always a limiter with me. I hope to do this race in the next couple of years. Have you tried the forums on the arrowhead website?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have only looked through older ones. I have not seen much activity on that forum. I'm not sure why.

Along with normal human food, I am thinking about using Hammer Purpetuem through the day. I'm going to test it an a training trip next weekend.

JK

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
Warmer events only, but I've found Hammer Perpetuem to be a great endurance fuel. An easy way to get calories (carbs and protein) on the fly.

Over the space of 3 years, I've determined that I find it more palatable when mixed 2 scoops Perp to 1 scoop of Hammer's Heed.

Enjoy the cold!

·
Registered
80 Posts
I'm on the slow end of the spectrum but I have finished the Arrowhead (I mention being slow because I'm out there a long time - the faster guys probably have completely different food ideas). The challenge here is getting enough to eat and not freezingto death while you're trying to eat it. I tried perpetuum; it froze. EVERYTHING froze. Whatever you try, its got to be something easy to eat and easy to get at that doesn't freeze too solidly to eat, I had perpetuum in a nalgene bottle that was in an insulated sleeve - it still froze. What worked best for me is peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, chocolate bars, and some gorp. Watch the gorp, though, the peanuts can be tough to digest. Keep a supply of whatever you want to eat close to your body - in a pocket or whatever. I tried a feed bag around my neck with a sandwich and other food in it along with a hand warmer to keep it thawed. That wasn't great but it at least kept food somewhat thawed.

Hope that helps a little! Good luck - its a fun event!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I like perpetuem I have used it for 4 years. The only way i dont like it is warm. So in the cold is ideal it wont go spoiled. Dont use it in a nalgene bottle, mix in a paste form and use small flask inside jacket. I cant do that in summer because u cant use it before it goes rottin, and paste goes a long way and tastes the best to.

GOOD LUCK!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.