Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Injuries suck.

And it wasn't biking related. Got the kids involved in martial arts, and after about a month - the long time buried bug bit. I got involved, and within two sessions - I was thrown by my 8 year old daughter, and pulled a muscle in my knee.

Ouch.

Took about two weeks to get walking right again. I can still feel it when walking more than a bit. And I'm finally back on the bike, but argh, it's just the trainer. Ouch.

I thought the trainer was boring before - when it was just a winter trainer, but now it's all I get until I can strengthen back up the muscle in the back of the knee (cranking while standing is just a bit painful). Thankfully nothing permanent, just can't overdo it.

I don't think I'm joining the New Year's ride this year. Sigh.

Pics will follow once I get back outside!!!

JmZ

The trainer bike...

Attachments

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
I hate the trainer. I'm still in denial mode. Usually by mid-janurary I finally admit that it's not going to get any better for a few months yet, and I'm getting out of shape not riding, so I might as well hit the trainer. Aargh is right.

Heal up soon.

PS: That looks alot like my wife's trainer bike (Red GT Palomar). And get a 1.5 city slick for the back tire.... it will buzz less.

·
Off the back...
2,304 Posts
Nice AMP! Training in the basement can truly suck, but if you don't do the time, riding will be a no-go in the future. I was back on the trainer yesterday in an effort to keep the spare tire from getting bigger. Just keep at it.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I'm rollin the trainer during my PRE-Hab waiting on a surgery date.

Completely blew my ACL on a failed dismount 3 weeks ago. Doc wants my muscles as strong as possible before surgery.

So, doc prescribed bike riding isn't so bad. Then again, a prescription for a beer and whiskey diet would be better!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
9,626 Posts
I like my trainer. Why? Because if I'm on it that means there's no riding AT ALL to be had and at least I'm on a bike. I wouldn't get on it if there was any other way I could get out. Set up a TV and DVD player in front of you, pop in a Chris Carmichael Train Right DVD (I've got one of his climbing vids) or anything, really, to give your brain something to do while spinning. I find that, since I'm pedaling the whole time instead of coasting a lot, I get a pretty good workout in in a short time, like 45 minutes. I've never hated getting on my trainer.

·
Registered
545 Posts
JmZ said:
Injuries suck.

And it wasn't biking related. Got the kids involved in martial arts, and after about a month - the long time buried bug bit. I got involved, and within two sessions - I was thrown by my 8 year old daughter.....
Judo? If so get back on that horse! The techniques you will learn on how to take a fall are invaluable. I earned my brown belt when I was 12, and the skills I learned have saved my arse countless numbers of times throughout the forty years since then. Roll baby roll.

Yeah the monotony of trainers suck, big time! I've got some rollers, they help alittle, only because you've still got to pay attention or you'll shoot off of them. Like Krob said get some 1.5 or 2.0 slicks to cut down on the buzzing. You can also use them on Bartlett wash, you'll love it! Healing vibes to you, happy new year.

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
:)
Shelbak73 said:
Judo? If so get back on that horse! The techniques you will learn on how to take a fall are invaluable. I earned my brown belt when I was 12, and the skills I learned have saved my arse countless numbers of times throughout the forty years since then. Roll baby roll.

Yeah the monotony of trainers suck, big time! I've got some rollers, they help alittle, only because you've still got to pay attention or you'll shoot off of them. Like Krob said get some 1.5 or 2.0 slicks to cut down on the buzzing. You can also use them on Bartlett wash, you'll love it! Healing vibes to you, happy new year.
Not quite, the kids are in Aikido (and loving it btw - though seeing 'em with weapons does make me a little nervous. ;) ) I went down on the leg while 1/2 way through a technique, and been out since.

Got a different rear wheel already with slick for the trainer. Was on there this past week. It's slow going. Riding seated is fine, it's trying to crank over the top - but I can do it now so it's progress. Just a matter of time. Hoping to try and get back outside soon, but not going to rush things - not worth a setback.

JmZ

·
Registered
545 Posts
JmZ said:
:) Hoping to try and get back outside soon, but not going to rush things - not worth a setback.JmZ
That's some straight thinking JmZ...:thumbsup:
Failing to rehabilitate injuries properly, simply because you don't want to miss a few weeks can end with a cronic condition, that could have you requiring $urgury, which will have longer rehabilitation time, or could cause you to permaturely retire from an activity you hold dear.
For me it was rock climbing. (38 yrs) would-a-could-a-should-a

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.