Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the deal. I like all of these bikes, here are my picks: Specialized FSR XC, XC Comp; Trek EX5, 6; and the Ibex Asta Comp 7. All seem to fit my needs. I looked at the Trek's and the Specialized bikes tonight while getting a bike for my wife. I really like being able to go into the shop to get advice, and/or service. Since we just picked up one bike and lots of goodies, I was told that I would get a great deal on the next one.

I still like what the Ibex brings to the table, I'm just very leary of buying a bike without having the opportunity to ride it. They have great specs, and a great price.....I just don't know about the whole online thing. I keep hearing that there is a return policy, and the service is great, but I just don't know.

Am I a lost cause or should I just nut up and make a frickin decision already?:madman:

·
Banned
4,348 Posts
Get the Trek or Specialized. I'd get the one with the best components so you won't have to upgrade as much. You can't go wrong and your lbs will be able to get it to fit you properly. Fit is probably the most important thing between enjoying the ride and suffering through it. Your lbs can set your stem length, h-bar height and seat height and angle whereas with the Ibex you pretty much just buy what you think will fit. If it doesn't it'll cost you to have it fit properly

·
Banned
240 Posts
I don't think you could go wrong w/ any decision, if all of the bikes would fit your needs.

If you decide to get a bike from an LBS. Ok.

If you decide to get a bike for Ibex and it doesn't fit, you can just return it (but you have to pay shipping IIRC).

Does Ibex give geometry for their frames? That could help. Or you just call Ibex and ask for sizing help.

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Slow down

Don't make your decision in haste. As the others have said, if you need the comfort of having an LBS there to support you, then think hard about the two LBS options. Once you've chosen, then be sure to buy from the most reputable dealer of that bike in your area. As for buying direct from the manufacturer, or otherwise sight unseen, there is no getting around the fact that there is some risk involved. Each of us, myself included, has faced this dilemma. In my case, 3 times (going on 4 now) I've bought sight unseen and all 3 experiences have been phenomenal. Others can't necessarily claim that. One last thought on buying sight unseen to toss out there. How many people who buy boutique bikes from the likes of Turner, Ventana, and Ellsworth actually have test ridden the frame they've chosen before they purchase? My guess is if it's 50%, that's a lot. People buy based on other rider's feedback on these bikes when they can not test ride themselves.

Best wishes in choosing the right bike for you. Let us know how you make out.

Bob

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Yes you can

BadBoyRipper said:
Does anyone know if you can add disc brakes to the FSR XC Rim? In the specs it says that the hubs are "disc". Is it possible?
If this is the bike you end up choosing, and you have ANY inkling of buying discs, my recommendation would be to buy the Comp. Get it over with now, if at all possible, rather than upgrading later.

Just my twisted logic as always.

Bob

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
i say get the Asta then with the money you have left use that at your local shop to buy any accessories that you might need, your local shop makes more $$$ off smaller items than it does on bikes. if you do buy the ibex and for whatever reason you dont like it all you out of is the shipping charges. you really cant go wrong with whatever bike you choose though, any bike is better than no bike. if you go with the EX5 plan on upgrading the pedals, those cheap alloy/cage things arent meant for serious use.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think that I have eliminated the EX5, and the XC Rim. The EX6 is looking really good, and I like the XC Comp, but its a bit more than I really want to spend.

I was told that I would get a great deal on either bike since I bought one yesterday for my wife, along with a ton of goodies. It will just depend on the deal I guess. I really like the Ibex just for the components that it comes with. I am big at supporting local business, and that is a plus for me. We'll have to see. On Monday I'm gonna ride a few to see whats up. They have Cannondale as well, but don't know anything about them. Wish me luck.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
you cant go wrong with the Trek Fuel series, they are proven performers. plus its always a plus to have a good relationship with a local shop. a friend of mine has an 02' trek fuel 80 that he uses all the time and its still going strong, he also has about 20 other bikes but he uses the trek more than anything.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Disk Specific rims

There was a question about putting disk brakes on the FSRxc rim bike. Someone said that you would not have disck specific rims - I did not know what that ment . so I looked it up:

From: http://www.mtbr.com/techtalks/brakes/brakesfaq.shtml#equipment

"There are disc specific rims (no sidewall brake track) and some RIM brake rims are fine for disc brake usage also. As there ARE more stresses on rims used with disc brakes, rims with reinforced spoke beds are advisable to prevent spoke nipples from cracking the rim eyelets. As it's almost impossible to know which rims are reinforced and which aren't, it's easiest to refer to manufacturers' websites to see if there are warnings issued for your rim of choice."

I don't know if the "FSRxc rim" bike rims are as strong as say the FSRxc Comp (with disk brakes) rims. The rims on the "FSRxc rim" bike say they can take a disk - but they might not be as stout. Might be an issue if you weigh more.

I don't know too much about it - but that is what I found and makes sence.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Finally made up my mind today, and bought the Trek EX6 at my local shop. I am VERY happy with out it turned out. My LBS was extremely helpful, and I couldn't be happier. I can't wait to get out on the trails. I'll let you know how it turns out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.