Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well instead of running to the LBS every time my bike has a little booboo, I have been tinkering wih it myself....soooooo, I had a little problem, doing a wheelie up and over a small hill and I kept going back and back and well y'know landed on my back !!! To make a long story short the front caliper shifted and was rubbing against the spokes, It was at least a 40 min ride back to the car so I decided just to take the whole caliper off (1st mistake) and ride home without front brakes...ooops, again to make a long story SHORT, I have aligned the caliper back up with the rotor, no problem, but now there is so much slack and not a lot of braking power....so the Q, for re-attaching the cable and adjusting the pads..what are the tips and tricks, what am I not doing right. The brakes are Shimano's M515 (i think)

Cheers :D

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
First tip: get the instruction book. Second tip: buy a bike maintenance book. There is no quick method for doing what you suggest and as you've found out(the hard way) is that it isn't as easy as you thought. If that doesn't work for you then bring it back to the shop and ask to watch as they fix it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hehehe. when I was a bike mechanic, we used to listen with sympathy with stories like that, then laugh as you walked out the door :)

Good luck though :) (I would help, but I never really worked on disc brakes: they had only just come out.

Fred

smiley said:
Well instead of running to the LBS every time my bike has a little booboo, I have been tinkering wih it myself....soooooo, I had a little problem, doing a wheelie up and over a small hill and I kept going back and back and well y'know landed on my back !!! To make a long story short the front caliper shifted and was rubbing against the spokes, It was at least a 40 min ride back to the car so I decided just to take the whole caliper off (1st mistake) and ride home without front brakes...ooops, again to make a long story SHORT, I have aligned the caliper back up with the rotor, no problem, but now there is so much slack and not a lot of braking power....so the Q, for re-attaching the cable and adjusting the pads..what are the tips and tricks, what am I not doing right. The brakes are Shimano's M515 (i think)

·
Domestic Fowl
869 Posts
Bike repair, especially brakes, is not rocket science as some would have you believe. Here's a couple of web sites with some good bike repair information. If you have disc brakes try going to the manufacturers web site and look for manuals or installation information there.

Bike repair info:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/
http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/FAQindex.shtml

If you're not tinkering with your bike, you're not learning anything. You just need to know when you're over your head and where to get help.

Good luck.

FRC

·
Registered
9,900 Posts
smiley said:

Dont forget to check out the Disc Brake FAQ on this site as well....

www.mtbr.com/techtalks/brakes/brakesfaq.shtml

1 - 5 of 5 Posts