Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just started riding again a week or two ago. I've been feeling fine but after about an hour my arms start to go numb.

Not sore, but numb. Any ideas what might be causing this? Help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
You don't say whether you have front suspension. Continual vibration over rough terrain on a rigid bike might induce numbness in the hands and forearms. The other thought is that you have something going on in your neck or upper back. You may want to get a fitment checkout from a LBS. Adjustments to your stem/bars and saddle position might help if that's the cause.

·
Registered
121 Posts
This started happening to me after I dislocated my shoulders. Whether the numbness/tingling is caused by nerve damage or pressure on the nerves, the way I avoid it is to constantly move my hands around on the bars, including periodically lifting each hand off the bars and rotating that shoulder around to keep it loose. I also use bar ends, and wear gloves that have some padding on the palm/heel of my hands. If you can keep moving your hands around, and keep your shoulders loose instead of scrunched up around your ears, you should be able to avoid the numb hands. Works for me, anyway. Good luck.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry I should have mentioned I do have a front suspension but I have it locked out. I'm riding on a fairly smooth bike trail without much vibration. I'm riding a Cannondale Quick CX3

If I take my hands off and shake my arms out they feel better after about a minute or so. I'll try moving my hands around, I was thinking I might not have enough bend in my arms or something but I get a little bend now.

·
Registered
12 Posts
You might be putting pressure on a nerve or blood vein that is cutting off circulation. Try adjusting your hand position, it might feel awkward but it's just something you'll have to be conscious of as your ride. Also make sure you aren't locking your elbows since that can restrict blood flow.

My hands will go numb on downhill sections on my old DB, but I don't have front suspension.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Dig'n on those grips ... do they take getting used to at all?
That just might do the trick for my hand numbness, due to a slight carpal issue that pops up now and again.

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
Sorry I should have mentioned I do have a front suspension but I have it locked out. I'm riding on a fairly smooth bike trail without much vibration. I'm riding a Cannondale Quick CX3

If I take my hands off and shake my arms out they feel better after about a minute or so. I'll try moving my hands around, I was thinking I might not have enough bend in my arms or something but I get a little bend now.
Probably got the answer right there...

Proper arm position is very relaxed...

Start with the wrists, set-up the brake levers so that if you put a finger or two on the brake lever the wrist is straight...this provides a quick and easy way to ensure you arms are in the right position.

Then let your shoulders relax and fall down, the elbows will not stick out....

Then imagine a helicopter attached to the very top of your head pulling you forward...extend your neck...

Bingo...

The trick is after every hard effort you need to remember to relax back to this position..

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So much good info here, I'll try a different position and relax my arms. I think you all are right that I'm putting too much pressure or have a bad position and not relaxing enough.

Some really comfy looking grips here too

·
i also unicycle
2,043 Posts
is it just hands/forearms or is it traveling up higher than that? hands/wrists can be minor hand position issues and ergo grips often help a ton, but whole arm stuff is almost certainly a positioning problem, and maybe a wrong sized bike.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Probably got the answer right there...

Proper arm position is very relaxed...

Start with the wrists, set-up the brake levers so that if you put a finger or two on the brake lever the wrist is straight...this provides a quick and easy way to ensure you arms are in the right position.

Then let your shoulders relax and fall down, the elbows will not stick out....

Then imagine a helicopter attached to the very top of your head pulling you forward...extend your neck...

Bingo...

The trick is after every hard effort you need to remember to relax back to this position..
+1 on this. I may be a MTB n00b, but I know the upper extremity pretty well.

The nerves (and blood vessels) that feed the arms and hands travel through several bony tunnels and over/around/through different muscle compartments. If you're riding with a stiff upper extremity from hands to shoulders, you're going to cause some nerve/blood vessel impingement. If you have to keep your arms stiff to be comfortable on your bike, get your bike fit adjusted. If it still bothers you, get your body alignment checked by a good chiropractor. It'll make a big difference!

·
Registered
18 Posts
As mentioned above, body it all has to do with your body position.
it seems to me, apart from the problem with your dislocated arms, that you put more weight to your arms than you should.
Try moving your saddle forward or tilt it upwards, keep your elbows bent.
The whole idea is,when standing, to carry most of your weight on your saddle and when riding most of this on your legs.
Gel padding on your gloves will help but if you do not work on your posture, you will still have the numbness.

I would agree totally wit dr.lee.g by having the bike fitted for you if you do not succeed on doing this by yourself.

Happy riding!:)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.