Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went shopping for some leg/arm protection so I went to LBS today and picked up some Fox standard knee/shin guards and ordered some 661 elbow/forearm guards. After riding up and down my driveway, I don't like the way the knee cap flops around so I'm taking the Fox's back. I'm also having second thoughts about ordering the 661's without trying them on.

There's a ton of posts out there on armour but I'm still confused what to get. Hot to someone else is different than Texas hot (100 degrees plus). It looks like full-on freeride/DH gear would cook me to death.

The ideal arm/leg protection would save my skin and joints on a big drop gone bad, double as protection on rocky XC rides, and be cool and light enough so I would at least wear it.

I'm looking at this 10' drop but won't touch it without the right gear. What do you recommend?

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
On those knee/shin guards

jkish said:
I went shopping for some leg/arm protection so I went to LBS today and picked up some Fox standard knee/shin guards and ordered some 661 elbow/forearm guards. After riding up and down my driveway, I don't like the way the knee cap flops around so I'm taking the Fox's back. I'm also having second thoughts about ordering the 661's without trying them on.

There's a ton of posts out there on armour but I'm still confused what to get. Hot to someone else is different than Texas hot (100 degrees plus). It looks like full-on freeride/DH gear would cook me to death.

The ideal arm/leg protection would save my skin and joints on a big drop gone bad, double as protection on rocky XC rides, and be cool and light enough so I would at least wear it.

I'm looking at this 10' drop but won't touch it without the right gear. What do you recommend?
Jay, I think they may just seem "floppy" because you haven't tried them before. Are you talking about how when your knee articulates the knee cup is sticking out for a bit? If you get a model that keeps the cup pulled against your knee cap, you may find them too hot for our area, and some of them can really rub uncomfortably if you're going to pedal for any time. Now if you're just going to use them for stunts or drops, then it won't be an issue. Most of the guys on this forum use the padded and fabric style body armor like Dainese style stuff. It's really good, but most of the time we'd only be able to use it in the winter. For gnarlier riding out at Bronte or some places in Moab, I'll use MX style vented armor and those Fox or Azonic knee/shin guards.

Attachments

·
Registered
124 Posts
I use 661 race elbow and knee/shin guards. The knee/shin guars slip down a little, but are very comfortable and light, yet seem strong. I don't wear a chest protector, so can't recommend one. I tried fox and like 661 better.

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,010 Posts
jkish said:

look into the roach or raceface knee/shin guards

·
I like bikes
83 Posts
Fox Launch knee pads

check out the Fox Launch knee/shin pads, new for '05. I ride the 2003/04 911 knee/shin, and they are pretty good (best i could find at the time), but I tried on the LAunch and they are great. I also run the 911 elbow pads, and they are pretty good, although it would be hard to judge the sizing w/o trying them on.

I use a Fox roost protector (Moto cross chest protector), since it is cheaper than a DAinese and really strong.

·
Registered
643 Posts
what i do...

SoCal weather can get pretty warm in the summer, but that doesnt stop me from wearin my friends full padded suit with barely any vents. (i wear it cause noone else does and i like to keep my ligaments in tact). But i just remmember to get super hydrated like the night before and like an hour or 2 before the ride. That ussually seems to do it. What really gets me is the full-face helmets. Probably the biggest nuisance of anything. This post probably didnt help you but just keep in mind hydration is key...in life...

·
Registered
387 Posts
dont buy the 661 race lite crap. it slides all over the place cause the knee cups aren't deep enough. I just got a nasty gash on my knee cap using them, and by the look of it, the roach fr stuff would have saved me a trip to the doctor. I'm thinking about an upgrade.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Here's what you need...

In order for the Fox standard to work, you need either knee warmers or the 661 padlock. Here is the link for the 661 padlock--which will work better than the knee warmers.

http://www.vsportgroup.com/gear/support_padlock.html

If you're still not happy with them, I would go with the new Troy Lee knee pads, as well as their new elbow pads. I have never been a big fan of Sixsixone's knee and elbow pads--they never seem to stay in place during a crash.

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,010 Posts
SoCal heat tested.......try the Azonic Z-6 Body Armour. You don't have to wear a Tshirt under it because the material is soft and strechy. Very well vented too

·
Registered
497 Posts
661 Race Lite

skatetokil said:
dont buy the 661 race lite crap. it slides all over the place cause the knee cups aren't deep enough. I just got a nasty gash on my knee cap using them, and by the look of it, the roach fr stuff would have saved me a trip to the doctor. I'm thinking about an upgrade.
I TOTALLY agree with your comments on the 661 Race lite. Damn things do not stay put during a crash. I bought some 661 padlocks, which helped immensely, but I plan on running Roach this year. Wish I had gotten them in the beginning.... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
114 Posts
Fox Launch knee/shin guards kick a$$

I just picked up a pair of Fox Launch knee/shin guards and they fit great. They are easy to get on and off and the new x-up system is better than any others I have tried. I have not taken any falls yet but I have been wearing all around to break them in. They did not move around on the mellow ride I did this weekend and they are breaking in and getting comfortable.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.