Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Fart smeller
17,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Jilm, Sir Vitriol, Johnny Freeride and I hit Northstar (NorCal) yesterday, bright and late. After parking and suiting up w/ various layers of armor, we bought our lift tickets ($33- ow) and boarded the near vacant high-speed lifts for a ride to the top of the mountains. On the way up, we espied many of the newish stunts NoStar has built to hone freeriding skillz- ladders, log rides, the Stadium Jump, bridges and many other North Shore-type stuntables. Excited chatter reverberated throughout the gondola as the bright, new wood of the stunts peeked out between the trees (who writes this stuff??).

After blatantly ogling the comely lass unloading bikes off the lift for us, we prepared for the rides down. Mike bid us adieu and set out to do his own ride. We consulted the map briefly (Sticks and Stones! Pho Dog! Tryumph! Dog Bone! And of course, Karpiel!! *gulp*), tugged on the armor straps and set out- praying today wouldn't be the day someone would see the inside of the infirmary. Some of these dusty trails are rated 2 Black Diamond runs, and they are peppered with unnerving rock gardens, log rides, huge rock drops and various other ways of maiming oneself. Jilm and John had several spectacular crashes, and while I remained relatively unscathed, I suspect the mountain is rubbing its hands with glee, saying, "I got your friends today, but I'll get you next time, my pretty!"

Extreme. Extremely fun. Nice job, Northstar! We'll return another day to wreak our revenge.

fp

On the way home, we talked about returning ASAP- maybe even doing a two-dayer over Labor Day weekend- riding NoStar on Sat, camping somewhere overnight, then hitting Hole In The Ground on Sunday. Anyone interested?

Attachments

·
Fart smeller
17,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
A couple more, and a map of the place.

1) Yet another stunt gone good.

2) JFR blasting off logs.

3) Jilm, down by the docks.

4) JFR in yet another rock garden.

5) Mepz.

fp

Attachments

·
Medium?
6,724 Posts
Kinda

Zonic Man said:
Looks like fun!

--More fun than I remember Northstar being. On a small bike, that place is TORTURE!
I rode Karpiel on my SS with a 80mm fork, and it wasn't all good, but the rest of the stuff was pretty good. It was really cool to fly over those big table-tops on Dog Bone.

·
Medium?
6,724 Posts
Anyone else ride

that stunt that JFR's riding in "another stunt gone good"? I shat myself, but I made it. Too bad the photo's at home...

·
Registered
735 Posts
I didn't see you guys up there yesterday. Then again I went up bright and early and I got three or four runs in with the Todd and the guys from NorthstarRacing.com before I tacoed a front wheel and my bike took flight and trashed my rear brake hose.

·
Banned
2,227 Posts
I had NO idea that John Travolta had a line of Saturday Night Fever-inspired armor out on the market.

Nice pics. That looks like a blast. I might have met you guys had I known you were going. Communication breakdown...

·
Registered
997 Posts
Pete said:
I might have met you guys had I known you were going. Communication breakdown...
Dang it. I had thought about giving you a personal invite (besides Gary's post on the Norcal board), but I already get a lot of "picture whore" ridicule :-\

We had a total blast. We all rode well and challenged ourselves. Next time I'll make sure you get notice of our plans... we WILL be going up again before the summer is out.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Fast Eddy said:
Anyone else ride that stunt that JFR's riding in "another stunt gone good"? I shat myself, but I made it. Too bad the photo's at home...
I was the only one of us to ride that one. Like most the stunts, the entrance (out of frame) is scary as hell. Kudos to you for riding it... I wanna see the pic :)

·
Fart smeller
17,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
God...

Fast Eddy said:
...I shat myself, but I made it...
I was very familiar with that feeling many times yesterday.

I've never felt so alive. Well, yes, I have. And Pete has it on video.

fp

·
Fart smeller
17,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What I'd like to know...

Sabine said:
I thought you said you never felt so alive this night? Or is this the one that Pete has on video?

Sabine
...is how Zonic bends his legs like that.

When's the first party at your house w/ the new rumourmates?

fp

1 - 12 of 12 Posts