Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
don't move for trees
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So riding to day on some fast single track and try to pedal through a corner, clip the inside pedal on rock, find self airborn. first thought was, this sucks, its gonna hurt. but luckly i decided to day would be a good day to wear the shin/knee guards to minimize bush scratchs, and they allowed me to continue the ride. ended up hitting a rock with my knee hard enough to bruise it under these

i also managed to smack my head on a rock, and still have all my teeth thanks to the full face
so they will now become an every trip equipment for every ride and the pressure suite for the crazy/new trails.

(i didn't even realise it, but i own all 661 gear :eek: )

so what do you guys wear on your normal rides?

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
a helmet and gloves. Yes, I've fallen and hurt myself before. But I haven't seen the need for more protective gear for the XC I do. If I was into hucking myself, then I bet I'd feel differently

·
don't move for trees
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm 5'6" and 115 pounds i have a large pressure suite, and its a little big, so i can wear an etra shirt during the winter,, but its adjustable enough where i can snug it up, a medium would probly be the best fit for me tough. i relaly like the pressure suite, its comfy, light weight, good pertection, and doesn't really heat up to bad

·
Live, Freeze, and Ride
315 Posts
I just got some

I got the 66One vest and 2x4 arm pads.
I realised knowing how much it might hurt was keepin me from doin stuff I want to do. That and landing on my elbow between two rocks three rides in a row...got me thinkin it might not be a bad idea.
Been wearing a full face, but that's because it's cold, but can't see takin it off. I feel so secure, not thinkin about my expensive dental work.
Come to think about it that's how I started wearing full finger gloves, it was cold, then in the spring I put on the fingerless and promptly ripped the skin off my fingers, since I wear full.
Couple more years and I'll look like a stormtrooper.
Maybe I should cut to the chase and call George Lucas.
Oh yeah, Beyondbikes has a 15% discount on all 66One.
Don't know for how long.

·
2004 Mach 1 owner
104 Posts
I wear a helmet and gloves on the most technical trail in my state, if not region. Rocky as shite. Oh, and I, unlike the majority here, ride a hardtail.

It is so funny to me. Some people act like a big

Doesn't it take some of the adrenaline/thrill out of the ride all padded up?

Learn how to ride better and not eat shite and you won't need to weigh yourself down with padding :thumbsup:

·
don't move for trees
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
some of us enjoy going off large jumps, drops, and ladders. wearing armor doesn't mean your a girl, it means your smart, and when you DO fall you will be able to continue riding and have fun. with the fall to day, i would of been out for the rest of the ride, and most likely the rest of the week.

now, take a look at this photo, no armor, about a $1500 dentist bill for my friend to get his teeth fixed, main reason my friend and i wear full faces now

and how are you supposed to learn, if you never fall? you gotta keep pushing your self, and some times failure comes in the form of a crash, i'm just happy i'll be able to get back up and ride

·
Live fast. die younG.
210 Posts
I'm all for anyone wearing whatever they want to wear on the trail...but don't let the armor fool you into not progressing as a rider. I mean...don't rely on it instead of your skills....like next time be sure you have proper pedal position and don't pedal leaned over.

·
don't move for trees
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
o i know, it was my own fault for the crash, i was clippin rocks all day, just a bad day of riding, but its nice to know that you'll be able to keep riding after you go down.

as for progression, this stuffs pushed me further, and is helping to try no things and progress.

·
2004 Mach 1 owner
104 Posts
BKnight said:
some of us enjoy going off large jumps, drops, and ladders. wearing armor doesn't mean your a girl, it means your smart, and when you DO fall you will be able to continue riding and have fun. with the fall to day, i would of been out for the rest of the ride, and most likely the rest of the week.

now, take a look at this photo, no armor, about a $1500 dentist bill for my friend to get his teeth fixed, main reason my friend and i wear full faces now

and how are you supposed to learn, if you never fall? you gotta keep pushing your self, and some times failure comes in the form of a crash, i'm just happy i'll be able to get back up and ride
I am not knocking you for wearing armor or padding. Do what you do. Each to his own.

I enjoy going off large jumps, drops, ladders, teeders, etc., but I don't feel the need to wear armor. To me, wearing armor means you are a girl. I'm old school. I ride a hardtail because it beats me up more. I ride hungover or still drunk on a few hours of sleep because it is more difficult. I do whatever I can to make my ride that much more difficult, to make me more of a MAN. To me, riding wth armor takes the adrenaline/thrill/fear of learning to ride right out of the equation. Does it mean that you are smarter if you wreck vs. me not wearing armor and you end up less hurt? Yes. Obviously. But the sport in it's nature is dangerous. I knew that going into it. If I was scarred about getting injured I wouldn't have started in the sport. If I fall and my day (or week, or month, or season) is cut short, by all means, it's my fault, I need to learn to ride better, and it would be almost expected, again due to the nature of the sport. I'm not going to sulk and be thinking, 'man, I should have been wearing some armor'.

Oh, and learning can be done without falling, unlike you stated above. I learn from every ride. Every ride even on the same trails that I've been on hundreds of times before. Every ride is different no matter the location, time, day, month, etc. So every ride I learn, and that doesn't mean I am getting blasted off my bike to learn. I push myself to learn more/learn faster/learn more efficiently, ride harder, ride faster, ride better every ride, ride with more confidence, and all of that requires learning........ and I, nor anyone, really needs armor or padding to do that.

Armor/padding is a crutch to me. Hence why I will never use it. To easily relied upon to keep you "safe from injury". If one gets rid of the crutch, what are you left with? Insecurity in your riding ability because you are not protected. Lack of confidence in short.

I ride with a helmet because the trails I ride locally, really can split my head open. Being realistic, I don't want to die riding, but wearing armor to save me from a potential broken leg or wearing a full face helmet to save some teeth doesn't fly with me. In short, I try to be a MAN about the sport.

I am going to edit my sig just for you BKnight, similiar to this subject

Besides, wearing more armor/protection/clothing just increases overall ride weight. More weight is not better than less weight in almost every riding scenario.

·
don't move for trees
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
fair enough, and just to let you know, i enjoy riding a hard tail too, cause it does add more of a challenge to the game. but i see my self as being a bit more responsible for being able keep riding, and being able to go to work and school the next day.

and i do agree with you on the learning, i probly sounded like the only way of learning was by falling, but you have to be able to ride to learn, and if you spend all your time on your ass, your not gonna learn much.

·
2004 Mach 1 owner
104 Posts
BKnight said:
fair enough, and just to let you know, i enjoy riding a hard tail too, cause it does add more of a challenge to the game. but i see my self as being a bit more responsible for being able keep riding, and being able to go to work and school the next day.

and i do agree with you on the learning, i probly sounded like the only way of learning was by falling, but you have to be able to ride to learn, and if you spend all your time on your ass, your not gonna learn much.
I don't ride a hardtail because it makes it more of a challenge. Where I ride, a hardtail in most cases makes it easier to ride. But nonetheless, a hardtail, no matter where you ride, is almost always harder on one's body. A hardtail, in short, makes me stronger. In affect, a Darwinism viewpont is what I have. Only the strong survive. I refuse to take the weak way out, so I can make myself stronger.

I can't knock you for wearing armor. Like I already stated, each to his own. I can't knock you for being responsible for your job or school. I am already out of school, and my job is flexible enough where I can be out for a while, and still get paid, and still keep my job. I realize I am fortunate in my situation, not everyone is.

And no you don't have to be able to ride to learn. Yes applied experience is almost always better, but if I break a leg and get sit out for 3 months, I will be learning something about my hobby/sport choice, say, for example, by reading, or working on my bike. Yes, there is only so much one can learn by non-applied experience, but nontheless, if I am not riding, I am learning, hence my reason for being on this site. I don't claim to know all. For info I don't know, I turn to others on here with the knowledge, so I can learn, no riding required.

I changed my sig, just for you :thumbsup:

·
don't move for trees
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i couldn't agree more with todays kids, its all fancy prancy, lets not get dirty or a scratch. and you are lucky to have a flexible job like that. at 18, my boss pretty much expects me to be there, 6 months at the company doesn't give me much leeway. as for school though, i hope what ever college i go to has a down hill team :D or else i'll just have to form one

·
Double-metric mtb man
4,482 Posts
Armor is a choice and only you can decide if you're gonna wear.

I have a good set of Roach forearm and shin pads plus helmet and gloves. The Roaches are fairly light to reflect my more aggressive XC/ light AM riding style but thick enough to keep me from going if I'm pushing hard or trying new stuff (including the occasional FR trick on singletrack). I generally go with just helmet and gloves unless I know I'm going to be pushing things or if I want to avoid getting slapped around (we have some trails locally where the trail is well established, but the vegetation leans in at about knee and chest height during the latter part of the season).

·
2004 Mach 1 owner
104 Posts
BKnight said:
i couldn't agree more with todays kids, its all fancy prancy, lets not get dirty or a scratch. and you are lucky to have a flexible job like that. at 18, my boss pretty much expects me to be there, 6 months at the company doesn't give me much leeway. as for school though, i hope what ever college i go to has a down hill team :D or else i'll just have to form one
See, this is what you may not be getting. I am 28, soon to be 29. And you are only 18, right? You are "todays kids" to me :rolleyes:

·
I dig trails!
5,611 Posts
Armor is a choice between laughin and cryin when you go down.

Zero scar tissue on me since I started wearing light elbow/knee pads (about 2 years).

Plenty of crashing in that time tho as I finally discovered, I need perscription glasses when I ride :thumbsup: I found out the hard way with a bronken arm result. :eek:

Self employed, father, when I finally get out and play I want to laugh, not cry.

I grew up BMXing so I know dirt napping is all part of the fun. :D

P

·
don't move for trees
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ya, fair enough, i can see how to a degree that what you see me wearing is the pussification of the nation, and i totaly understand that, i think kids need to get out more and do somthing out side and run a little risk of getting hurt, or dirty

·
don't move for trees
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
o ya, where would the fun be if you knew you couldn't get hurt, thats like half the reason for doing any sport, its the thrill of the unknowni have a fair amount of scars from stupid mistakes, and they are the ones that speak the loudest. expample, don't lock up the front brake after coming off a jump, only did that once

·
2004 Mach 1 owner
104 Posts
I think wearing armor is not "a choice between laughin and cryin when you go down" although, I can see how and why you perceive it that way.

To me, and maybe only to me, wearing armor is a choice of mental toughness. If you wear it, you aren't mentally tough enough to go without it.

If I may now, throw in some quotes for all to ponder:

"Granted, most of what we experience in life is like the stuff that marks the sharks and whales at aquarium — covered with scars and scrapes — each a souvenir of some misadventure.... examples from our own lives: low performance on a test, a minor traffic infraction, burning the toast, making a gaff on email, misplacing important papers, losing keys, forgetting appointments — this is all stuff I know about first hand — they're all sore spots, minor scars, little reminders of mortality and finitude." ---- taken from a religious site

“God will not look you over for medals degrees or diplomas, but for scars” ---- Elbert Hubbard

"Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.” ---- Kahlil Gibran

"Every winner has scars.” ---- Robert N.C. Nix

"Scars remind us that the past was real..." ---- Shakespeare

·
don't move for trees
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
lol, i like the last two best, and ya, having scars sort of proves that you wern't afraid to go that extra bit, and try a little harder, and in the end, they make great conversation starters, and you get to relieve that gloriuse (sp? doesn't even look right) day once again

1 - 20 of 85 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.