Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 132 Posts

·
7am Backcountry ;- )
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

So one day I plan to leave the grey skies of the UK, and my repetitive 9-5 office job.

One place which I can't get out of my head is Arizona. (blame the Passion forum!)

I like the idea of hot days, low humidity, cool nights, mild winters, monsoon season, mountains, desert, blue skies in the morning, cactus, open roads, can stunning landscapes and good weather really make a person happy?

I'd like an insight into living in Arizona the pro's and con's. (Crime, jobs, cost of living, community, climate, riding obviously - anything!)

I've read it can be hard to get a green card but the sooner I put my plans in place the better :)

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
I live in Tempe. It's hard for me to compare it to the UK cause I've never been. Love the Arsenal though!
It's going to be 115 this week so summers can be tough. Good thing is plenty of mtns to escape too. Have you been to South Mtn in Phoenix?

·
Tripolar on most days
440 Posts
I am heading there in 1.5 months for pretty much the same reasons as you but also because I have familly there and the lower cost vs. Cali.
My wife and I plan on living in the Scottsdale area which has a lower crime rate from what I have heard. I need to be somewhat close to the airport as my work territory will be Colorado, and Utah also. Traveling to CO and UT will also let me escape the heat when it get to bad.

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
I'm lovin' it in Tucson! Real mountains; with big pine trees and a ski slope and miles
and miles of sweet ST and temps 30 degrees lower than the desert floor below.

Jobs ain't too abundant in Tucson. PHX has more job opportunities, but no place to ride
and escape from the heat because it has no mountains with tall pines and ST and ski slopes
(that I know of).

Lot's of trails.

Traffic in Tucson ain't too bad. Part of that is the "jobs ain't too abundant" listed above.

Easy drive from Tucson to other areas of AZ to ride.

Crime? Well, lately some AZ towns have been dealing with some pretty strange crap that
seems to be gang-related; and mostly gangs from Mexico that are fighting each other over
drug distribution issues. So, if you're not in a drug-gang and not a drug user, then you'll
probably never suffer the ramifications.

·
wanna dance?
1,074 Posts
Everyone I know in Penix remarks about the incredibly high number of shootings and violence there. Two weeks ago when I was last in AZ, it was 118 deg. Not really the natural environment for **** sapiens. Also, when you're there, you're definitely in a red state. Scottsdale is only a marginal improvement.

Nice to visit, nice to leave again.

·
Live 2 Ride
6,090 Posts
Arizona gets too hot and has too much sun. Try Oregon.

·
Registered
356 Posts
lol arizona is way to hot for the perct weather move to southern california

·
Afric Pepperbird
4,752 Posts
If you can stand non-biking life there, go for it. But be warned... not only do you have McCain and Jon Kyl, but you also have this loon, who thinks Earth is a mere 6,000 years old! It's sadly making the rounds on many blogs, and Youtube

·
old part timer
137 Posts
Currently the temperature in Phoenix is 107. A bit too hot to ride while visiting friends. The desert is beautiful 7-8 months of the year. SUMMER is way too warm to spend much time exercising outside.

·
Live 2 Ride
6,090 Posts
lol arizona is way to hot for the perct weather move to southern california
Don't move to California. Anything is better than that state.

·
EDR
10,229 Posts
Paging Tor-y-Foel

capoz: pm Tor-y-Foel . He lives in the UK and comes to ride and hang out in Phoenix often. He could give you some perspective relative to where you live. I'm pretty sure he has ridden all over the western US.

·
"Oldfart from Wayback"
1,683 Posts
As long as you can stand 9 months of 100F+ heat ! It's funny that eatdrinkride was bragging about
it has hit 110 maybe once this year. And that was last month. Should be 113 this weekend though
as if 100 is cooler than 110F !

Meanwhile, property values in AZ are tanking, thanks to their record default rates and most walk away owners gutting their houses as they leave. Almost as bad a California and Nevada.

And if you believe in global warming, there won't be enough water to support anyone there w/i the next 10 yrs.

Colorado, Wyoming, Utah is about the sweet spot for year round outdoor lifestyle's, cost of living, jobs, etc.

·
Pivoteer
3,445 Posts
118? Hardly. 115 this weekend? Maybe. I get a kick out of the people who say Phoenix is not a great place to bike, or that you cannot ride in the summer.

I have lived here for 10 years now, and just returned from a trip to California. Phoenix has the largest municipal park in the US (South Mountain) which has pleny of trails for all users and levels of expertise. 30 minutes in any direction will get you a totally different riding experience. The Phoenix Mountain Preserves, McDowells, Hawes, Pass Mountain/Usery, White Tanks, and Estrellas. This doesn't include a few hours north or south to Prescott, Sedona, Flagstaff and Tucson. Just to add to the fun, Oracle is home to one of the absolute best 24 hour race courses...period. And the race itself is freakin' amazing.

In the summer, I do my week day rides at 3:30 in the afternoon, the hottest part of the day. You simply keep moving and it is no different than any other day. Like anywhere you live, you get used to your environment. Personally, I love being able to ride 52 weeks a year. and for 8 months a year, the weather is PERFECT. You never have to worry about the weather throwing off your plans, and you will learn to enjoy the few days of rain we do get. The Sonoran Desert is simply stunning in the spring,

·
Live 2 Ride
6,090 Posts
Phoenix has too much Sun. Sun is evil. I'm light sensitive.

·
EDR
10,229 Posts
As long as you can stand 9 months of 100F+ heat ! It's funny that eatdrinkride was bragging about as if 100 is cooler than 110F !
You crack me up. How was I bragging?

Couple points:

1)Yes 110 is much hotter feeling than 100 degrees. 115 is oven-like and not conducive for any outdoor physical activities.
2) 9 months of 100+ heat? To be factual you couldn't be more wrong, it's the exact opposite. But hey, it's your ax to grind, go for it.

I'm not here to push AZ on anybody, what do I care. The bottom line is there is fantastic riding here, the scene is really cool and we ride 52 weeks a year, like TiSS'r said.

Luckynumber9: Night riding is pretty big here, I guess. I ride early and try to be off the trails by 9am or so. The sun comes up at 5:30 or so so that's plenty of time for a tough local ride, or an easy one.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 132 Posts