Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Arizona Bretheren. I'm planning on heading out to Arizona later this week to do a bit of riding. I'm using Cosmic Ray's Arizona Mountain bike Guide as my bible. I'm planning on staying in oak creek canyon and riding in Sedona since it sounds like most of the stuff in Flagstaff listed in Cosmic Ray's (i.e. Mt. Elden Area) is closed from the fires a few years ago. I've ridden in Sedona before, and had a blast - did Llama trail and Submarine Rock loop. Any other suggestions for the area (or should I go somewhere else entirely)? Is Mt. Elden indeed closed? Is there anything else in or near Flagstaff open and worth a look? I'm trying to avoid shuttles due to logistics, but I'm not opposed to climbing. I'd like to stay on singletrack/slickrock. I'm not above hike-a-biking if I get in over my head.

After Sedona it's onto Prescott for a day or two. Anyone recommend any good car camping areas near riding? Any rides other than the one's in Cosmic Rays cosmic book?

Any particularly good bike shops worth stopping at anywhere along the way? Good eats? Good local brews? Any sites worth seeing for recovery days?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
The only trails effected by the fire in Flag are Little Bear and Little Elden. One of the best rips in Flag is the Arizona trail. It's a must for your trip. Hang Over, Highline, The Hogs, Slim Shady, Pig's Tail, Aerie, and Mescal are among some of the best trails in Sedona.

·
Registered
88 Posts
In Sedona,
Start near the Bike and Bean shop on bell rock blvd. Park in the parking lot nearby so you don't have to pay at bell trail. Jump on a trail called Made in the Sade on the opposite side of the road from bell rock trail head. Really good, technical stuff. Then it will turn into Slim Shady (not easy), then take H.T. Trail under the road over to a trail called Little Horse, then up to the top of chicken point. Unbelievable views there! bring a beer in your pack and open her up and enjoy!

When in Prescott there are a number of trails I recommend, but just depends on how many miles you want to put in. I know them by trail number as I ride them just about everyday. Trails 396, 9415 both by White Spar campground are nice and slightly shorter around 11-12 miles but you can hook on to trail 48 if you go all the way up 9415 for more mileage. Trail 48 is pretty sweet and it has some water logs you have to go up. All trails by Thumb Butte are awesome. All is really nice single track with some rocks though. Trail 305 by Costco and Lynx lake is a sweet 15 mile ride round trip (just did that one today). If you are ambitious you can always try the Whiskey Off Road course (25 or 50 mile choices here) listed in the Prescott trails map you can get at any bike or hiking store. There is some highly technical rock trails in the Dells. Stop by the downtown bike shop (High Gear or you could go to Manzanita Outdoors) and grab a map of the prescott trails. Most stores will give them out free. Granite Mountain has some cool trails there too and they are all on the prescott trails map you can get for free. Granite mountain is hardpack with pea gravel and can get very slippery.

For Local brews in Sedona head to Oak Creek brewery. Good brews and good food. In Prescott head to Prescott Brewing Company, again, good brews and good food. I wouldn't recommend Granite Mountain brewery. Prescott Station is a very good place to eat and get some drinks too but more expensive. In regards on where to car camp? I would stay at Lynx Lake campground off Walker Road. You will be right near trail 305 and have plenty of shade. I wouldn't stay at Watson lake as there really is not much shade there. PM me if you have any questions.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Not sure how up to date Cosmic Rays is but you can pick up a trail map at the shops in Sedona as well as some good advice. City of Prescott also has a great map you can get for $1 at any bike shop or outdoor store. There are some free yellow post camp sites if you head west from town and then south on Thumb Butte road. A bunch of excellent trails run nearby that could fill a couple days riding (Granite Basin, and Thumb Butte south/east to Wolverton and Goldwater lakes.)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Justin,

Are you going to be out there next week? - we should connect. I'm traveling that way from 4/9-4/17. Looking for riding partners. Have GPS tracks for most of the popular stuff, would be great to ride with you.

-jason

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Not sure how up to date Cosmic Rays is but you can pick up a trail map at the shops in Sedona as well as some good advice. City of Prescott also has a great map you can get for $1 at any bike shop or outdoor store. There are some free yellow post camp sites if you head west from town and then south on Thumb Butte road. A bunch of excellent trails run nearby that could fill a couple days riding (Granite Basin, and Thumb Butte south/east to Wolverton and Goldwater lakes.)
Cosmic Ray is the bomb !

687544d1334029064-cosmic-ray-traildoc-joint-venture-user-built-trail-custom-maps-cosmic.jpg

·
Registered
88 Posts
Justin, not sure if you are in Prescott Sunday but I will be doing the Whiskey route for 25 miles that morning if you want to join me. FYI, it's gonna be much cooler here on Wednesday so maybe bring a jacket along with you.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the suggestions guys, and the ride invites. I'm actually looking forward to a little bit of solitude, so, this time, I'll have to politely decline.

Looks like Elden got/is getting a bit of Snow which might make the decision about where to ride easier if it sticks, eh?

Thanks again. If the photography gods favor my camera, I'll be sure to show off some photos.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
It's been snowing all day in Flag. Now it's beginning to accumulate. I'd probably stick to the southern reaches.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts