Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Mtbr Founder
35,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are struggling here in CA. Mammoth and Northstar are very much delayed.

Downieville, there's 8 feet of snow where the shuttle drops the riders off.

July is likely but complete terrains won't be open til August, Crazy. It just stopped raining last week and finally got warm this week in CA.

fc

downieville

Attachments

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Rode Big Bear two weekends ago. It snowed 2 days while I was there. Been snowboarding there lots of time over the years and it snowed more while I was there last weekend than it has my previous 10 trips in the dead of winter. LOL

·
Bikes in jeans
2,372 Posts
Most of Colorado got so buried, it's going to be really late before anything high up is rideable this year. Some areas in SW Colorado are at over 700% snowpack for this time of the year.

·
Thinking about riding.
2,169 Posts
We are struggling here in CA. Mammoth and Northstar are very much delayed.

Downieville, there's 8 feet of snow where the shuttle drops the riders off.

July is likely but complete terrains won't be open til August, Crazy. It just stopped raining last week and finally got warm this week in CA.
Is that really so unusual? I was at Mammoth mid-July in 2017 and there was more skiing than biking going on, only a couple bike trails open and only shuttles, no lift. Even the climb from town (missed the last shuttle) ended 2/3 of the way up because of a ten foot high wall of snow.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,212 Posts
Opening this weekend at Alyeska, AK!

·
Mtbr Founder
35,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is that really so unusual? I was at Mammoth mid-July in 2017 and there was more skiing than biking going on, only a couple bike trails open and only shuttles, no lift. Even the climb from town (missed the last shuttle) ended 2/3 of the way up because of a ten foot high wall of snow.
Yes, it's pretty unusual. The Sierras got 200-300% of normal snowfall. Before that they were lucky to get to 100.

https://reviews.mtbr.com/mammoth-bike-park-opening-delayed

Mammoth is tricky since they say bike park open some years but it's really just the lower parts.

We've had some snowy years in 17 and before. But this year will look to break many records.

August, Sept on some peaks we ride???

·
Registered
18,833 Posts
Mt. Bachelor says they're opening June 15 but it will likely be only a few beginner trails on the lower mountain, and they'll probably be slushy. I heard that they had employees out there with shovels clearing a path through the snow.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 🚲
12,669 Posts
Yes, it's pretty unusual. The Sierras got 200-300% of normal snowfall. Before that they were lucky to get to 100.

https://reviews.mtbr.com/mammoth-bike-park-opening-delayed

Mammoth is tricky since they say bike park open some years but it's really just the lower parts.

We've had some snowy years in 17 and before. But this year will look to break many records.

August, Sept on some peaks we ride???
For the Sierra's it is not unusual when we have a "normal" winter. The reason it seems strange is SoCal faced nearly a decade of extreme drought that only ended a few years ago.

As a young kid in the 80's my dad would take us camping in the Sierra's and if we tried to go before July the chances of the trails being covered in snow was very high. One year my dad and his buddies drove around the forest service gate and tried to get into the valley anyway and ran into snow so deep they all had to turn around and go find a place lower in elevation to camp.

As for the Topic on hand, Snow Summit in Big Bear and Sky park in Lake Arrowhead(SoCal) are both open. Summit opened a week late due to a late snowfall and Sky park is a dedicated bike park, no skiing or snowboarding and is open year round. It is lower elevation than Big Bear and gets less snow.

I would imagine Mammoth will open the lower portion of the mountain soon.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Hitting Snow Summit this weekend. I think the bottom part of Mammoth was scheduled to open a couple of weeks ago but was delayed when they got more snow. I think its time to plan a Whistler trip :)

·
Registered
157 Posts
Mammoth mountain will open with limited use on june 15 per their website and social media posts. Dowtown to chair 4 and shotgun will be open. supposed to heat up to normal temps next week so hopefully the melt off will begin. Gonna b awhile til they get mid mountain open for riding.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.