• lower then my seat

Votes: 150 50.7%
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just an inpromtu (SP?) survey...

does your 29er's bars sit above, level, or below your seat height...

if you have more then one bike fitting in more then one catagory put in the one that you ride the most...

·
!Vamos, flaco!
1,364 Posts
On my 29er (size M), my bars are a touch lower, almost even with my bars. My comparison, I have a drop of several cm on my track bike and road bike (both size 54).

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
my offroadie's bars are a bit higher, my roadie bars near even (on the flats, no the drops)

both though are damn near even... i prefer make up the difference in torso stretch with top tube length.
Best fitting bike out of the over 20 I've owned thus far for my 6'1" height was a 62cm gardin roadie (59cm top tube length).
I thought there was no way that a "nut-rester" frame would've fit so comfortably, so I started re-thinking everything.
Force yourself out of your comfort zone, doesn't ALWAYS work but every now and then something REALLY comfy pops up.

Now riding (ok, fine, BUILDING!) a KM frame far larger than most shops would've advised me to buy.
(oh, and I never bought into that "long seatpost=comfort" bunk... I've got a suspension seatpost if I really want it :D )

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
playpunk said:
YOU NEED HANDLEBAR DROP TO HAVE A BIKE THAT HANDLES WELL.
No.

EDIT: So I'm not just flaming, this is just a silly thing to say. First of all, everyone's physiology is different, so how high the bars are doesn't even reflect how "aggressive" or laid back a fit is. Secondly, not everyone here uses all of their bikes to race XC. Higher handlebars are better for steep downhills.

·
Torque me. Make me spin!
69 Posts
Flat bar are real

I originally had my Turner Sultan bar about 1" higher. Now there even, I like that better. Next I'll try it lower to check it out.

More hive kicking.
Riser bars are just industry marketing hype. They're heavier, cost more, probably not as strong, and they take up cockpit room to mount computers, GPS, lights, shock pops, bells, whistles, etc.

Get flat bars and don't whack your steering tube so much.

·
Expert Crasher
6,359 Posts
Padre said:
Geared XC bikes, about even, 1/4" lower or even.

Singlespeed...almost 1.5" higher than saddle.

AM/FR bike, about 1/4" above.
same for me...mostly

my Sultan's bars are 1/4" below the saddle, close enough to considered even

the tops on my Midges are 1 1/2" higher than the saddle, the drops are 2 1/2-3" below (100mm drop on the Midge).

No AM bike.....

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Old Dutch city bike : above seat.
XC race bikes: have been up to a foot below the seat, for tame forrest to world cup style riding. I don't ride much anymore, so more like -20cm suffices for me now. Low bars to me are also about fitness and back strength. Yet, lower equals faster, if it doesn't hurt my technical game too much.

·
Registered
467 Posts
ahh, gotta love my reba u turn fork... at 100mm my bars are even for more of a trail bike feel, and at 80mm, slightly lower.......

The biggest question nobody has answered is that are you measuring this on or off the bike? On the bike, my bars are definitely lower due to more sag in the fork vs. the rear susp....

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.