Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I enjoy my fat for snow, 26x4.8 with gripstuds on 90 mm.
I tested for summer and did not like it for a light rider like me.
The last 3 months i just love my HT 120 mm with 40 mm and 27.5x3.0/2.8.
I am not saying it is for everyone, just it might be worth a try.
Happy trails !

·
Registered
210 Posts
Is this on a separate plus hardtail, or a plus wheelset for the fat? I have been tempted lately to explore the latter option because it seems like a fiscally responsible way to get some new bike stoke. My two concerns are: does 197 spacing become a hindrance in tight places when you remove the blubber of the 4.8 and will 29 x 3 fit in a 120mm Bluto?

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is this on a separate plus hardtail, or a plus wheelset for the fat? I have been tempted lately to explore the latter option because it seems like a fiscally responsible way to get some new bike stoke. My two concerns are: does 197 spacing become a hindrance in tight places when you remove the blubber of the 4.8 and will 29 x 3 fit in a 120mm Bluto?
I am in Quebec, 61 YO so i grew up with cars having tires(regular, summer) and winter tires. We can go from minus 40 to 40 in a year so no tire is good 12 months.
If i buy into the 1 bike plan i still need 4 tires, 4 wheels, 2 forks so i might save a bit of space but i consider 2 bikes is a better value, so i use my fat only only 4 months. Here some use 26x4 light summer tires and a suspension fork on their fat, some buy 29x3.0 wheels, tires, etc... they call them slimfat but you can buy a used plus bike if you have room for it. I am a small rider and consider 27+ my max to carry when considering acceleration and drag. It seems heavier riders have fun on 29+. Also most avoid avoid using 27 on a fat frame to maintain the BB away from rocks and lugs.

·
Rippin da fAt
10,518 Posts
I enjoy my fat for snow, 26x4.8 with gripstuds on 90 mm.
I tested for summer and did not like it for a light rider like me.
The last 3 months i just love my HT 120 mm with 40 mm and 27.5x3.0/2.8.
I am not saying it is for everyone, just it might be worth a try.
Happy trails !
An option is a wheelset for a fatty to do dual duty. With the cost of wheels, tires, rotors, cassettes, would it make sense to just add a fresh RSD to the picture?

I ride 4.8 year round cause sometimes I just need a more Jeepy experience, other outings require the 3.0 Jeepyness!

On another note, I am 64kg so can relate to the light rider side of it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.