Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
I wish I had...
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to know who your sponsors are(i heard that a lot of guys were sponsored). I also want to know if they support you well. Also could someone just kinda explain the whole thing to me.(especially the team part, what do they do together?) I was just wondering because I got a call from one of the distributors here in chile:thumbsup: . Thanks for any replys.

·
Monte Su Bici Maldita
336 Posts
Yeah, I got a few "sponsors". 2 are from sponsorhouse, and one is my friend who started a new company. If you want real sponsors that help you out, and not only give you crappy discounts, don't go w/ sponsors from sponsor house. My "sponsorship" from Spectrum Techwear is bomb. I got his stuff at wholesale, and he sent me a free tee. And only right now he can't give me a full on sponsorship because his company is so small. Small enough that he has to work at Transition part-time.

·
I wish I had...
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well the specialized distributor here in chile is building his teams for 2007. He asked me. He said to call him at the end of February when they have decided how many teams, how many people, how much they are going to discount... I am looking forward to it. What exactly do the teams do together?

·
Monte Su Bici Maldita
336 Posts
iron1 said:
Well the specialized distributor here in chile is building his teams for 2007. He asked me. He said to call him at the end of February when they have decided how many teams, how many people, how much they are going to discount... I am looking forward to it. What exactly do the teams do together?
I would totally get on that.

The sponsorship depends on how good you are. What class you race, how dedicated you are, how well you will represent their company, etc. The discount through a distributor should be anywhere from 30% - about 65% off. If the distributor is still wanting to get some money they won't give you the top discount. Since the Specialized wholesale is about 60% of retail and 50% for Employee Purchase ("Pro Deal") you can expect be paying that or a slight bit more.

·
Now with flavor!!
5,613 Posts
I'm sPaNseRd by jolly illuminations flesh lights, manufacturers of only the finest in self jolly whackit toys.

I'm excited to be a part of the team and I'm quite enthusiastic about the season with the new warm sensation technology.

·
rollin
2,646 Posts
kidwoo said:
I'm sPaNseRd by jolly illuminations flesh lights, manufacturers of only the finest in self jolly whackit toys.

I'm excited to be a part of the team and I'm quite enthusiastic about the season with the new warm sensation technology.
that's a pretty sweet spankzorship! "jolly illuminations fleshlights, the natural way to boost testosterone!"

·
Monte Su Bici Maldita
336 Posts
kidwoo said:

Do you get special discounts?? And what does the team have to offer?? Do they have a "cheerleading" group??

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Teams work in different ways. Some trail together some don't. Some teams are made up of road, xc, and gravity sports. Try and make a team meeting, or organize one your self, and find out what or establish how things are going to work. Depending on the team, or club, the gravity sports groups get treated like ugly step children.

I'm, or just recently was (didn't renew for next year), on a team/club (LGBRC) that was sponsored by Specialized and Easton, as well other smaller companies, that gave very generous, usually whole prices. But, the kicker was that you had only a small window of time, say from Jan 31 thru Feb 20 to put in your orders. Then the order from Easton was for packages only. Meaning that we had to buy bars, stems, and seat post. Not a bad deal unless you already have their bars, and stem, but only wanted the seatpost.

Easton wasn't too bad, what really got the MTBers, was the fact that Specialized gave a special on their road bikes (whole sale, if I'm not mistaken), but didn't offer the same for Mountain bikes. There were no requirements, conditions, or quotas for any one wanting a road bike. When asked what about Mountain bikes, the reply was "When you guys prove yourselves, you will get your discount". Not sure if that came from Specialized, or the team manager. We were not allowed to talk to the company reps, only the team liaison for sponsorships. We proved our selves alright, several CCCX series champs, and other wins, for the MTB squad, but we all ended up walking. As far as I now, none of us resigned for another season, with the exception of a few guys who road race also.

The biggest thing to watch for in a team is who is the team captain or manager. If he's a MTBer your in good shape, unless he's got some thing against gravity sport riders. If he's a roadie only type, from my experience, find another team..... run, don't walk.

·
Me hates pinchflat
2,415 Posts
iron1 said:
Could someone please explain how the teams work.
Let me illustrate you:

Team
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A team comprises any group of people or animals linked in a common purpose. A group in itself does not necessarily constitute a team. There are however many components that make up a team like manager and agents.

:idea:

·
thats right living legend
6,360 Posts
East Coast Bender said:
For road im sponsored by:
Trek
Bontrager
Newington Bicycle
Pedal Power
Michael Francis Salon/Spa
I was sponsored by a salon for road too! The team manager was a terrific guy, but I still can't figure out why I needed that Brazil wax?... Oh well, at least he was gentle.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Being sponsored is gay. I did the sponsorhouse thing and rode for Iron Horse and Sixsix one. It was pretty lame the discounts sucked and the support was minimal.

Make friends with your LBS you will get the same deals and service to back it up

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.