Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone in here only own a single speed or only seem to ride thier single speed? the reason i ask is b/c i want to convert my current bike and i only own one.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Mostly Single

too40sx said:
anyone in here only own a single speed or only seem to ride thier single speed? the reason i ask is b/c i want to convert my current bike and i only own one.
All but one of my bikes are single speed, my lone geared bike is a custom cyclocross bike that is used for some light trail, gravel road or cross racing and is my geared road bike. I have a 03 unit pre disc mount, fairly light cross country bike, which gets most of the trail riding. A pre disc red monocog, which is used when I want a tougher more capable ride, log drops, more technical riding. A single speed cross check, for trail ridding ,cross racing,and some road ridding, currently set up as a fixed gear. I also have 2 -20" bmx bikes, one set up for trail ridding w/a front brake and lower gearing, one for racing, and a 24" bmx race bike.
I really have very limited experience on a geared mountain bike I had one in high school, (univega rover sport 18 or 21speed can't remember biopace rings and all) but it didn't get ridden nearly as much as my much beloved older and uglier redline bmx bike which I had at the time.
If you do most of your ridding off road then a single speed is all you really need, if you want to do some road ridding then you might want to get a decent roadbike w/ gears, or cyclocross bike if you want more versitility.

·
559 Posts
too40sx said:
I have two speeds:
My road bike
My mountain bike

Both fixed.
No regrets...

·
Registered
687 Posts
My 2 remaining MTB's are SS specific

I have a 26" Surly SS and a 29" Vulture SS, both rigid.
My road bike still has plenty of gears, but I sold my FS geared bike...
I'm crazy and happy.
Jefe'

·
Registered
122 Posts
back when i got into ss, i had was in the same boat, one bike want to ss but afraid to commit... got a second bike and converted the first, only to never ride the second! that was it, i knew ss was for me then. go for it, ss is perfect for all but the extracycle!

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
of my three bikes (The Beauty, The Beast and The Bit*h), i have two SSs, and a 27 that is soon to become a 1x9.

·
The Top Cap Guy
952 Posts
I just became SS only off road. I had (until a week ago) a 2004 Giant NRS Air Carbon dual suspension in full XTR... funny thing was everytime I go ride - I'd grab my rigid SS. Had the bike almost exactly a year and it had less than 100 miles on it... just not worh keeping in my book. I doubt I'll miss it. Now my Road bikes are in the same boat - one nice gear racer (mainly used on trainer over winter) and the other is my fixed track bike. 90% of my road miles are fixed....

Hope this helps some
FF

·
Registered
511 Posts
I (for one) really enjoy riding my Singlespeed and my geared bikes (Turner-Flux and Specialized road bike).

I like switching between them for different terrain, different moods, and different workout intensities.

·
wait a minute....
216 Posts
Me too

Lambone said:
I (for one) really enjoy riding my Singlespeed and my geared bikes (Turner-Flux and Specialized road bike).

I like switching between them for different terrain, different moods, and different workout intensities.
I have a 5spot and a siss. I ride them both.

·
Fahrrad fahren
305 Posts
Mostly

too40sx said:
I'd say go for it. I have four bikes. Road = Fixed. Folding = Fixed. MTB = SS, and Tandem = Geared and glad of it.

If I bite the bullet and pick up a Katate Monkey, It will be fixed / free, but I might do a rohloff hub for a geared option too.

Ride what you like.

H

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
too40sx said:
Granted I am new to single speeding, but I could not imagine selling my now only geared bike (just sold my other geared bike to fund a new SS).

While I definitely see myself riding SS the vast majority of the time, there are rides/friends that I will be out there with that I would much rather be on my geared bike (for the downhills, not the uphills necessarily).

·
Bike Junky
73 Posts
Off-road = single. One fixed rigid, the other hardtail with squishy up front.

Road = two geared Rivendell road bikes both with horizontal dropouts, one geared Waterford full-blown touring, 1 other fixed, 2 other singlespeeds.

·
ali'i hua
1,796 Posts
hmm.
MTBs:
kona cowan: ss
titus HCR: ss
sofa king dubnine: ss

the other mtb? its a dean gearie. aside from being too small, its got all those bloody gears on it. one of the SS's gets grebbed even when Im out of shape.

oh- roadie: gearie- I'd hate to attempt to do sprint triathlons on a fixie or a ss. could you imagine a rolling dismount into a transition area on a fixie?

·
Registered
182 Posts
my only mtb is SS so that's that.
when i converted my road bike to fixed, i kept the drivetrain bits and braze-on's in case i wanted to revert back to gears... nope, never happened. it's staying fixed.
never look back!

·
Drinkin' Buddy
155 Posts
Mostly, I think

I have the Vulture for singletrack, an older converted Bianchi for Polo, a 90s Paramount fixie for the road, and a collection of freakishly welded contraptions for amusement and immanent injury that are mostly single (Although the rickshaw will have gears for pushing fat people like me when I'm done) I still need to get around to selling all of my geared bits that are sitting in boxes in the garage taking up space. Every once in a while I would like to put a road bike with gears together to go for longer rides around here, but the geared Raleigh sits on a hook forlornly without a seatpost and just gets dusty while i take the fixie out on the pavement.
I do not have anything in particular against gears, I just have gotten lazy.

·
Sofa King We Todd Did
2,262 Posts
If I had but one bike to play with, I'd be hardpressed to convert it to a singlespeed. Depending on the trail, I like to use different bikes. On some I may be thrilled to use my 27-speed full-susser. On others, I feel killer on a singlespeed. I guess my point is that I like to have a choice. That being said, I have no singlespeed-specific bike. My tw singlespeed rides are geared conversions. These sit next two other geared bikes - one full-suspension, one hardtail.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.