Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
I built mine using a 120mm fork....felt it "choppered" out the front end too much.....dropped to 100mm and it feels just right for my trails. I ride a lot of rocky/rooty/tighter trails. If you have more wide open/higher speed trails 120mm might be really good.
I don't feel the 120mm fork made it much better on the 2'-3' drops or over the really large rocks/rock gardens.

·
meh....
3,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
918XC said:
I built mine using a 120mm fork....felt it "choppered" out the front end too much.....
Weird. From Devin's specs it doesn't seem like it would make that much difference. 120mm is only 4.7". What 120mm fork were you using?

His specs are 69.5/70.5 headtube angle for 130mm/100mm forks respectively. The trails I ride are usually climbing steep, or descending steep, not much smooth, lots of moto churned trails.

Showing specs for a 130mm fork on that bike seems odd to me in the first place.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Monte said:
Weird. From Devin's specs it doesn't seem like it would make that much difference. 120mm is only 4.7". What 120mm fork were you using?

His specs are 69.5/70.5 headtube angle for 130mm/100mm forks respectively. The trails I ride are usually climbing steep, or descending steep, not much smooth, lots of moto churned trails.

Showing specs for a 130mm fork on that bike seems odd to me in the first place.
Fox F29 120mm....I felt that the 69.5 HT angle on a 29er is just a little too slack/choppered out for the riding that I do. It would be good for long/pro-longed steep descending, and more wide open longer downhills, but not so much for steep ascending.
I felt like I had to really sling the bars around to get the bike to turn like I wanted it to in the tighter stuff. The 100mm tamed that down a bit and I don't feel like I lost that much, if anything in the steep descents.
I just adjusted the travel on the F29 from 120mm to the 100mm setting, so I would say if you are leaning toward a 120mm fork go w/ the F29....if you don't like it you have the 100mm setting to fall back on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.