Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know a few people are. It got down to 11 degrees here last night. Nothing to write home about since the record is about 7 degrees. Still its pretty cold and its November. The first snowfall is always kind of fun. On the west side you have a lot of newcomers with their SUV's who think they can pretty much do anything in the snow. They generally fall into two classes. Some are from California without much snow experience, and a whole lot are from the midwest. The guys from the midwest are the best because they always think they can drive in snow yet they have never gone down a sheet of ice with a 13% slope that runs down for a quarter mile. :) Over here we have a bunch of idiots who drive their cars like they were snowmobiles-which is really kind of scary if your on a bike. Seattle is probably overdue for a really paralyzing snow. The last really good winter I remeber wasnt even winter it was November 1985.
Heres the bike part of this-I got my bike set up with studs and we should have some good winter riding over here on snow covered streets strarting tomorrow. :) I am also looking for a warmer place to ride. :) .

·
Registered
225 Posts
borregokid said:
I know a few people are. It got down to 11 degrees here last night. Nothing to write home about since the record is about 7 degrees. Still its pretty cold and its November. The first snowfall is always kind of fun. On the west side you have a lot of newcomers with their SUV's who think they can pretty much do anything in the snow. They generally fall into two classes. Some are from California without much snow experience, and a whole lot are from the midwest. The guys from the midwest are the best because they always think they can drive in snow yet they have never gone down a sheet of ice with a 13% slope that runs down for a quarter mile. :) Over here we have a bunch of idiots who drive their cars like they were snowmobiles-which is really kind of scary if your on a bike. Seattle is probably overdue for a really paralyzing snow. The last really good winter I remeber wasnt even winter it was November 1985.
Heres the bike part of this-I got my bike set up with studs and we should have some good winter riding over here on snow covered streets strarting tomorrow. :) I am also looking for a warmer place to ride. :) .
It looks like the seattle-everett area might get a dusting tonight...HOORAY!

·
meh....
3,589 Posts
<sl4yer>RuLz said:
people in Seattle can't drive worth a poop, whether it's sunny, rainy, or snowy. :rolleyes:

I say, "Bring on the SNOW!"
Not sure if "Seattle" is inclusive enough. I watched 2 spin-outs on the way home from Seattle to Bellingham Friday morning after Thanksgiving in the rain.

Monte
</sl4yer>

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Snow in the Bannana Belt

Well we have a little snow here in the Bannana Belt of the cascades. It never really snows in Cle Elum you actually have to go to Roslyn and up past Ronald to get into some snow. You know if you can ski in this stuff you sure as hell can ride your bike in it.
Anyway heres a pic of me-no less. Just like skiing I probably have about $350 worth of cold weather clothes. Instead of skis I have studded tires that were about $150. I went from my house to somewhere past Ronald and back. I turned around after getting into the unplowed road up past Ronald.

·
meh....
3,589 Posts
goneskiian said:
Damn! I need to move myself east for my winter white fix. ;)

Monte, I think he means XC skiing.

Looks great. I'd be out in it too!

Cheers!
-Ian
Uh, well, okay. Still doesn't make sense. I've skied stuff on XC gear I'd never be able to bike.

Monte

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball

Biking in the snow is a little different than regular biking. I have been on the same trail with XC skiers and dog sledders of course its an old railroad grade and I think the slope is less than 2 degrees. Its possible to get onto Cle Elum Ridge through the snow even on the steep slopes but you have to wait until the snow is packed by the snowmobiles and then it has to warm up or maybe rain a little and freeze and that usually doesnt happen until Feb. Most of the winter biking will simply be on snow covered roads. If I get bored I will try to reach Cle Elum Ridge.

Heres a picture of a Pugsley mountain bike by Surley. With the wider tires you are less like to break through the snow. I am running Nokians that have 296 studs which is better on the ice and hardpack.

·
SNOWRIDER
1,564 Posts
Hell Yes

let it snow,let it snow,let it snow. :D
We all ready have a 50 inch base at the bottom of our back country 4.5 mile shuttle run on Mount Hood between Timberline and Govt. Camp, and I will be headed back up again this weekend for another day of pure heart pounding fun

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.