Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Same old bike for me, but I got a new rear tire, finally made a decision and I'm running Spec GC 2.3s control casing front and rear (about 2.18 wide actual). I may get carbon bars in a month or two, a lot of guys say they can tell they're smoother riding than aluminum.

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
I'm mid-project going 1x11 on my XC bike, and plan to put a dropper on it after getting in a ride or two with the new drivetrain.

Sent from my E5803 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Same old bike for me, but I got a new rear tire, finally made a decision and I'm running Spec GC 2.3s control casing front and rear (about 2.18 wide actual). I may get carbon bars in a month or two, a lot of guys say they can tell they're smoother riding than aluminum.
A carbon bar made a nice difference for me. It seemed to smooth out the trail chatter compared to the aluminum bar it replaced. FWIW, I've been on a Easton EC70 bar for 3 years and it's still going strong.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I'm trying larger tires this upcoming race season. I'm 6'2" and weigh 175 lbs, and have been running RaRa 2.2" tires the few years I've been mountain biking. I'm about to mount RaRa 2.35" tires for the winter and subsequent race season, to see if bigger really is better, and faster.

I'm not going to do any comparison timing tests, and I suspect that I'll "feel" faster because I'll "assume" the larger tires will give me more confidence while cornering, which is good enough for me :)

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
Interesting choice for winter. Or a very dry winter where you are. I'm really fond of the Rocket Ron, and really only use the RaRa as a in-season rear tire. Or not - my best season was RoRo's front and back, though I threw out the rear tire that Fall.

Sent from my E5803 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I am considering rear tire options as well but not much aside from that. Have tossed around the idea of switching to a front shock (gasp!) but probably not realistic until next year at least.

I would check out carbon bars and seatpost if I were you. For me they take the edge off the rough stuff just a bit compared to aluminum.

·
rad to the power of sick
1,969 Posts
I'll be racing on a squishier and slacker bike than I've ever raced on. 2017 Anthem SX. 130mm in the front, 110in the rear and a 67.5 HA. Looking forward to shredding the techy sections!!

·
Rides all the bikes!
3,863 Posts
Working some crazy union overtime to save up for some wheels. Today is my first day off in two weeks. Working tomorrow straight through for another week :)

·
Registered
667 Posts
As I've been having a whole lot of fun on my Stache, I've decided to put some 2.35 tires on my Jet9RDO for racing. Tried a Kenda Slant 6 (2.2) a year ago that I got smokin cheap and loved it, Jenson had them on sale around Black Fri and picked up a Slant 6 in 2.35 for $18!, not sure what I'm going to put on the front though...

Other than that, have been reading more and more on dropper posts, but again the Jet 9 does not have internal routing... maybe the KS Lev Circuit when it comes out...

·
Rides all the bikes!
3,863 Posts
As I've been having a whole lot of fun on my Stache, I've decided to put some 2.35 tires on my Jet9RDO for racing. Tried a Kenda Slant 6 (2.2) a year ago that I got smokin cheap and loved it, Jenson had them on sale around Black Fri and picked up a Slant 6 in 2.35 for $18!, not sure what I'm going to put on the front though...

Other than that, have been reading more and more on dropper posts, but again the Jet 9 does not have internal routing... maybe the KS Lev Circuit when it comes out...
My trail bike is external, not a big deal. About as inconvenient as my external brake and shifter cable.

·
Registered
667 Posts
True, true... A decent argument for wireless is the ability to easily swap between bikes...

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
I added a second bike to the line-up and now have a Spark 900 FS and FS-i HT. For the Spark I plan to run more tire than I have in the past going to a 2.3" Fast Trak up front and a 2.1 rear or perhaps a 2.2 out back. I'm not a light rider and am hopeful more tire will give me more bite when I need it most. It's a little weight but I think I'll benefit more from the additional traction the larger tire will afford than saving 50-100 grams.

·
Rides all the bikes!
3,863 Posts
True, true... A decent argument for wireless is the ability to easily swap between bikes...
I suppose. But my trail bike and race bike do not share seat tube diameters. Actually, they currently do not share any component except seat, grips, and brakes IF I wanted to. So that isn't something I consider.

Only reason I would consider the extra cost of wireless (I assume weight is a wash) is if you could lower the seat during a sprint. I don't know if any offer that yet.

·
Registered
667 Posts
More research for sure, who knows how and what they will change with the wireless components. Luckily seat tube diameter is the same on all 3 of my bikes and similar to you, grips and seat are the same although the race bike has the lighter seat version.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm sticking with 2x as well (2x9 xtr), I think of it as a 1x with a bailout. I could probably get by with 1x if I did a 32oval and 11-34 rear, - maybe I'll try that when this drivetrain gets more wear on it.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Same bike from last season - 2016 Raleigh Skarn Pro.
Going to try 32t Oval and add front remote lockout.
"Maybe" change rear 2.25 RaRa rear to Ikon 2.35 to match front (maybe 2.25 Ikon for rr).
I had 2.25 RaRa's fr & rr last year, 2.35 Ikon in front made big difference in cornering confidence. Once I got used to Ikon, I felt rear RaRa sliding out. I hate to take off tires with plenty of tread on them...

1 - 20 of 61 Posts