Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
5,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe someone like Bike Doc can invent a portable rear license plate holder that can be fastened on the back of a bike rack. Seems like there will be plenty of demand. Could use an LED and be solar powered.

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
traildoc said:
Maybe someone like Bike Doc can invent a portable rear license plate holder that can be fastened on the back of a bike rack. Seems like there will be plenty of demand. Could use an LED and be solar powered.
Great idea...but it wouldn't matter...this law is BS, its meant to trap people. If there was an easy way to avoid the ticket, they wouldn't make any money.

·
Banned
5,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
KavuRider said:
Great idea...but it wouldn't matter...this law is BS, its meant to trap people. If there was an easy way to avoid the ticket, they wouldn't make any money.
Kavu:

I don't understand why it wouldn't work. Is it just because you say it won't work or is there something else you haven't shared with us as to why it wouldn't work?

I curious what the price point might be for such an invention. US made? Foreign made? Injection moulded? Machined? Locking Device?

·
Elitest thrill junkie
40,397 Posts
It's always been illegal to obscure your license plate with a rack or something.

Usually the cops don't care.

Vet plates probably help. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
222 Posts
Hmmm not sure where the greater public need is, but I'm sure those who have received the $145 ticket were possibly profiled or suspected of some other moving violation, much like the guy who has a pickup with the tail gate down which may obscure the plate from a camera, or a tennis ball skin that covers the trailer ball that obstructs the plate, or mud from a four wheel romp that might onscure the plate, all examples might technically get a ticket but usually dont unless there is another action which catches the PD's eye. So if you haul your bikes on a rack that obstructs the plate and are prone to commiting moving violations while hauling your bikes, I guess zip ties are the answer and traildoc should go back to trail improvements......

·
Banned
5,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Jeff F said:
Hmmm not sure where the greater public need is, but I'm sure those who have received the $145 ticket were possibly profiled or suspected of some other moving violation, much like the guy who has a pickup with the tail gate down which may obscure the plate from a camera, or a tennis ball skin that covers the trailer ball that obstructs the plate, or mud from a four wheel romp that might onscure the plate, all examples might technically get a ticket but usually dont unless there is another action which catches the PD's eye. So if you haul your bikes on a rack that obstructs the plate and are prone to commiting moving violations while hauling your bikes, I guess zip ties are the answer and traildoc should go back to trail improvements......
Jeff:

Well thought out post. I was wondering if there would be any benefit to doing a color photocopy of your license plate then laminate it in plastic and mount it to something solid (plywood, etc.) so that you could hang it from the rack or bike?

Would the police think you were trying to help them out?

I did go out and do some maintenance today not to worry.

Doc

·
Just Joshin' ya!
1,981 Posts
How About This?

Now we can help the osifers out with these snazzy bumper stickers in case their brains can't discern between an AZ plate and something out of state!

$1.00 each...I am taking orders.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.