Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

My post is .............

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
A Surly Maverick
2,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious,
what sort of post do you all have on you 29ers and why?

I`ve always been `straight` regarding posts, but I know that alot of people swear by being `laidback`.:confused:

Also do you run different posts on your 29ers than you would use on a 26er?

Looking forward to your replies .;)

·
highly visible
3,284 Posts
Bouncy Thudbuster on my Vulture.
Laidback Thomson setback (16mm setback) on my Leviathan.
Laidback FSA (35mm setback) on my KM.

·
In FTF We Trust
1,815 Posts
When I had my Strong built, after giving Carl my preferences (Thomson straight non-offset post and vintage Brooks Professional saddle) I wound up with a top tube about 1/2" longer than any 26" bike I ever rode. The combo works so well for me I've since carried the basic measurements through the 29ers I've built up since.

That said, a lot of 29ers have pretty steep seat tube angles (73 degrees) to give tire/front der. clearance, so a laidback seatpost makes sense depending on your setup preferences (to get your saddle location in relation to your bottom bracket correct).

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
Mostly set back

Most of my bikes have set back seatpost heads. I am between stock sizes for most companies, having a leg length better suited to a large and a torso length better suited to a medium. So alot of times I get the medium, and use a setback seat post head to get my knee over the pedal spindle just so.

I did get a Large Raleigh XXIX+G that worked out fine with a straight post, so that is my only exception at the moment.

·
Registered
195 Posts
BTW, What post has the most/biggest lay bacK? Anyone, know off hand? I guess I could go do some research but it easier to throw it out here to see if anyone already looked into it.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
On my El Rey with a 74 degree seat tube a straight post put me too far forward, even with 180mm cranks my knees were directly over my toes and not over the pedal spindle, went with 1" of set back and the fit is way better.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Setback

I'm no expert, but off the top of my head:

Salsa Shaft - 23mm
Easton carbon - 25mm
Titec "Bent" - ~38mm (listed as 1.5")

I'm curious about the FSA post mentioned above w/ 35mm setback - hadn't run across that one before...

winbert

p.s. Oh yeah, Salsa Shaft "laidback" on my large Sir9 (w/ my long torso top tubes never seem to be long enough)...

·
Sugary Exoskeleton
4,657 Posts
Depends on which Femurs I am using that day.

Your knee should be somewhere in a zone directly above to one inch behind the pedal spindle with your crank forward and parallel to the ground. Position your saddle to allow this.

Steep seat tube angles will likely require a set-back post for most riders. Slack frames conversely will usually call for a straight post.

Femur length is the key. Going by feel is fine, but it isn't the most efficient method.

JMH

·
Schipperkes are cool.
4,170 Posts
2 x Ericken "Super Secret" Ti posts :thumbsup: , no more "M" posts. They are a layback, though my saddles are forwards, I like to be over the cranks. :p

Scoty

·
Registered
115 Posts
It should all hinge around your ideal position of saddle relative to BB. If you're starting with a specific frame, your seatpost/saddle combo should allow you to achieve the seating position you need. If going with a custom frame, specifiy your seatpost/saddle of preference, then STA can be finetuned to achieve your ideal saddle position relative to the cranks. I use a straight Moots Ti post with a Brooks Swift saddle on a 72deg STA.

Sam

·
highly visible
3,284 Posts
winbert said:
I'm no expert, but off the top of my head:

Salsa Shaft - 23mm
Easton carbon - 25mm
Titec "Bent" - ~38mm (listed as 1.5")

I'm curious about the FSA post mentioned above w/ 35mm setback - hadn't run across that one before...
The FSA I have with 35mm setback is the SL-220. Can be found at most online shops (webcyclery, universal, bikeman, etc.) for $50-60-ish. I got mine off eBay. Came in at about 260g, which I believe is quite a bit lighter than the Titec (and also a lot less weird looking).

I'd also add that most moderately priced seatposts have the clamp set back from the shaft, usually 15-25mm. Some of the boutique posts like Thomson put the clamp right on the end of the shaft, for 0mm setback. Even the bent Thomson "setback" post places the clamp on the end of that bent shaft. So despite its radical look it's only got 16mm of setback, substantially less setback than the average $30 seatpost. The only reason I can get this post to work for me at all is because my Lev has a very slack seat tube angle.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
I use a set-back on my 29er, but it has nothing to do with being a 29er, and everything to do with seat tube angle and femur length.

·
A Surly Maverick
2,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks everyone ! :thumbsup:

Some really good advice given regarding the use of `layback` posts and knee/BB position.

Never knew that myself, I always just did what `felt` right,and will now certainly take it into account.

Thanks again,
Dr FG.:D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.