Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to see who uses clipless pedals and who uses flats. I've been using platform pedals, but lately my feet have been coming almost completely off the pedals as I go faster on the rocky stuff. I just got a set of Crank Bros Mallet C pedals, but I don't know if I'm gonna like them. I just wanted to see what people are using out there.

For reference, I've been using the Truvativ Holzfeller pedals, and I like them as a platform pedal.....but should I change.....?

·
surf-ride-repeat
2,491 Posts
hbfrdh1 said:
I just wanted to see who uses clipless pedals and who uses flats. I've been using platform pedals, but lately my feet have been coming almost completely off the pedals as I go faster on the rocky stuff. I just got a set of Crank Bros Mallet C pedals, but I don't know if I'm gonna like them. I just wanted to see what people are using out there.

For reference, I've been using the Truvativ Holzfeller pedals, and I like them as a platform pedal.....but should I change.....?
I use both, and I have Mallet C's... I really like 'em... I was hitting DJ's with 'em on the other day, just because, I wouldn't recommend that though...I dig 'em for racing BMX and DH ( depeneding on the coarse), and for XC...

I like 'em for DH beacuse of what you stated, in the chop my feet stay on, I feel more in control. I can get out of 'em with out issue, that comes from lots of pratice and crashing, as well, however..

Anyway good luck.

Flats for freeride, urban, DJ's...

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
pdirt said:
I can get out of 'em with out issue, that comes from lots of pratice and crashing, as well, however.
I think that's gonna be my issue, learning to unclip until it becomes 2nd nature. I was just riding around my street, came to a stop, and almost fell over when I went to put my foot out; forgot I was clipped in. :rolleyes:

·
SNOWRIDER
1,564 Posts
I use both depending on what I am doing and the terrain
But I like being clipped in alot :D it has to get pretty technical for me to put the platforms on

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,010 Posts
Deweydude said:
I use both depending on what I am doing and the terrain
But I like being clipped in alot :D it has to get pretty technical for me to put the platforms on
dewey sportin the new avatar

·
SNOWRIDER
1,564 Posts
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
dewey sportin the new avatar
shhhh! don't tell anybody, my 12 step program said no major life changes :D :D

·
Now with flavor!!
5,613 Posts
I ride clipped in when I'm riding true DH (trail) stuff and it helps immensely. You can't argue the amount of bike control you gain. I rode DH for a year with flats and the day I started riding clipped in, I was immediately riding better.

That said, riding jumps and ladders and such, it is good to be able to get away from your bike quickly.

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So today was my first ride using the Mallet Cs. I rode Aliso Woods; up Cholla, down Lynx, up Cholla again, then down Mathis I couldn't really tell a difference in pedaling; I know people say you can pull up as well as push down for pedaling, but I couldn't tell.

Those who have gone down Lynx know it gets pretty rocky at a couple points. Normally, I'm fortunate if my feet haven't gone off the pedals by the end, but my feet were in place the whole time (I guess that's the whole point of these pedals, eh?), and I hit that trail faster than I ever hit it before :D . It's harder to go faster on Mathis, but I loved how my feet stayed put!

One thing I noticed. I was always able to clip out with my left foot o.k., but it seems that I have to turn my right heel out as far as I can possibly turn it before it becomes unclipped; anything I can do to clip out a little earlier? I already have the cleat with 2 holes on the right shoe, so that's supposed to be a 15degree unclip rather than a 20degree. I have also turned the cleat as far to the right of the shoe as possible. Any suggestions?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.