Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Two wheels are better
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Slow day at the office and I have been left in charge, so I thought, lets post on MTBR.

Some general questions to get feedback on purchases I want to make and other curiosities...

1) What do you wear with your full face... sunglasses or goggles? My Oakleys don't fit well at all when I wear my Remedy (the Oakley style with the straight arms that wrap around the head get caught up in the padding of the helmet), so I am looking for an alternative. If you wear sunglasses, what type fit for you? If you like goggles, any suggestions on type?

2) How much do you like to drop your saddle on descents? Right now I ride a 350mm post and when I descend I put it as low as it will go (5.6" drop due to interrupted seat tube). This leaves about 4 inches of post exposed (although I wouldn't mind if it went lower). Basically I like to get seat completely out of the way. Problem is that I could use a little longer seat post, but with the interrupted seat tube it would mean even higher saddle on the descents. Looked at gravity droppers, but 4" drop does not get the seat out of the way at all. I have even tried runs with the seat set as high as it would be with longer stem or with gravity dropper and it is not comfortable. I guess I am wondering if my low seat preference is just that "my preference" or is because I am still new and once I am a better rider I won't want as much drop?

3) What is your favorite line down the waterfall? What is the easiest line? Hardest line?

4) What is the most Jack in the Box tacos you have ever eaten in one sitting? I maxed out at 12 in college.

5) If a co-worker gave you a Scratcher Lottery Ticket for Xmas and it won a thousand dollars, would you share it with them or keep it all for yourself? If you would keep it, would you tell them you won?

6) When you swap your big ring for a bash guard do you re-adjust your front derailleur or do you just remember not to go into the highest gear? Not sure if there is a way to adjust the high limit on the front derailleur?

7) If you could have any thing in the world, bike related, free of charge, what would it be?

Happy Holidays. Cheers! :cool:

·
Kathleen in AZ
5,178 Posts
I am so tired at work today that I am nodding off in my cube. I already gave up doing work in the dark SEM room. The only thing keeping me awake is that it's probably about 58 degrees in here. BRRRRRR. Starting the day with Wed AM shuttles was great, but it seems to have backfired on the productivity of my last work day in 2009. Zzzzzzz.

1) Prescription Oakley sunglasses and some other brand of yellow glasses for night and grey skies. I've been known to wear my bifocals on AM shuttles by mistake - this is not suggested.

2) I have 5" drop posts on my Lenz trail bikes. I use the Kind Shock i900. Couldn't drop the saddle any more so I bought a DH bike :thumbsup:

3) My favorite Waterfall line is the spine. Easiest line is left and then just shoot straight down towards the middle.

4) Zero Jack in the Box tacos. Four Taco Bell tacos.

5) I'd offer to share. But it's a moot point becuase no one in my office would give me a present :p

6) I always readjust my deraileur's set screws and also drop it down a bit. Doesn't everyone?

7) Whistler in my backyard.

·
PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
4,339 Posts
I wear fox goggles with my remedy. they fit pretty good. I wear sunglasses on longer runs where it will get hot and goggles on shorter runs or if its just plain cold.

G

·
1. Both. Sunglasses are prescription, goggles are Oakleys. Although I see no point in goggles on SoMo since there is an inherent lack of trees and mud.

2. Even on a DH bike your saddle should be about the same height as your stem. Any lower and it just makes it difficult to use the saddle to control the bike with your legs. i run about 5" of post on my DH rig.

3.Favorite waterfall line is the left, usually where all the people having tea and muffins on their Saturday morning social rides are standing. Bonus points for riding that line in the dark.

4. 0, Jack in the Box is disgusting.

5. First I'd smack them for wasting money on a scratcher in the first place and then use the money to buy nothing but items used to torment them in the office every day for the next year.

6. There is one correct answer for this question, the other is just ghetto.

7. https://www.aurumania.com - This, just for the shear stupidity of it.

·
Two wheels are better
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hfy108 said:
Are you the guy who writes all of those surveys for MySpace and FaceBook?
I despise those things, think their a waste of time, and I never fill them out! :nono:

Yes I realize my hypocrisy today...:skep:

·
My other ride is your mom
5,442 Posts
Oooooo....I wanna play...even though I just did a javalina-up-Geronimo-down run which makes this a partial work day....

1) Don't own a full face...but Cholla has a twice reused he has promised me....so I'm guessing my normal sunglasses at the moment when I do get it. Of course...when I do get it and wear it...I'm gonna be on some stuff that will prolly necessitate some depends as well.

2) I drop it as low as it will go...which is not low enough. thinking of getting a joplin with remote dropper for festivus this year.....still thinkin on this one....

3) I've yet to attempt the waterfall....see answer #1.

4) I know I've had a lot back in the day....but the exact number will remain a mystery since my highest kill totals were always executed under the cover of inebriation. Since then...I've become a Del Taco man.

5) I'd offer to share as well....except if the person was a total tool....then I'd keep it in silence.....This is all predicated on the exchange of the lottery ticket occurring as part of some blind gift exchange. If it was directly given to me...even by the tool I just mentioned...then I'd feel guilty if I kept it....so I'd cough up half the money....less the tax burden I'd be taking on.....-->Do you like how I found a way to still be cheep and magnanimous at the same time!

6) I adjust my screws....don't like the sound of a metal plate grinding against my chain

7) +2 on the Whistler in my backyard comment.....and not just for the riding....the skiing too! And how can I forget about the Sex Cheese at Girabaldi Lift Company.....it changed my life!!!!

·
Registered
815 Posts
DurtGurl said:
I am so tired at work today that I am nodding off in my cube. I already gave up doing work in the dark SEM room. The only thing keeping me awake is that it's probably about 58 degrees in here. BRRRRRR. Starting the day with Wed AM shuttles was great, but it seems to have backfired on the productivity of my last work day in 2009. Zzzzzzz.
You should see the darkroom they have our TEM in. It's an anechoic chamber painted in black and when they turn the lights off in there, it feels like you just died. :D

I know this is kinda off topic but what SEM do you use? We got several FEI DIBs in our lab.

·
Banned
1,111 Posts
1) I use goggles for everything that needs a full face. They are a placebo for safety.

2) My saddle is level with the stem.

3) Left line in the dark, watch out for sharp rocks at the end.

4) ??? Maybe 4

5) $1000.00 buys a lot of Jaeger and safety equipment. Afterwards I would not remember who gave me the scratcher.

6) I only use one ring in the front. Walking is a part of life...

7) Marzocchi warranty service that is timely???? I am just being modest. I would really like some patents from SRAM and Shimano. Pay the bills for life!

·
Kathleen in AZ
5,178 Posts
ECEGatorTuro said:
You should see the darkroom they have our TEM in. It's an anechoic chamber painted in black and when they turn the lights off in there, it feels like you just died. :D

I know this is kinda off topic but what SEM do you use? We got several FEI DIBs in our lab.
Nerd talk!!! My new toy is a JEOL 7500 cold FEG with XPS and EBSD, but I also use an old Philips XL-40. In grad school I used a TEM... back when they still used film!

·
Registered
815 Posts
DurtGurl said:
Nerd talk!!! My new toy is a JEOL 7500 cold FEG with XPS and EBSD, but I also use an old Philips XL-40. In grad school I used a TEM... back when they still used film!
Nice! I know they still use some old Hitachi SEMs in our other sister labs. Our DIBs are huge though... they aren't the small chamber type. They take 300mm wafers so the chamber is the size of a car engine. It's crazy to watch the FEI guys have to change out a stage on those suckers...

I can't imagine using a film based TEM... wow! :eek:

I mostly do fault isolation work so I don't get to drive the DIBs usually but I know enough to do some serious damage. I definitely know to set the euccentric height before I start tilting the stage around! ;)

Ok enough of this nerd talk, I think I just killed this thread. Let me know if you ever want to get a tour around our labs or fab. :thumbsup:

·
Just Joshin' ya!
1,981 Posts
1) What do you wear with your full face... sunglasses or goggles? I wear a cheap pair or Scott goggles. They work fine on my Bell Drop helmet. Next time you need to buy a pair, take your helmet with you to the store....

2) How much do you like to drop your saddle on descents? Since I have been shuttling lately with my AM bike, I drop it down so there is about three inches showing.

3) What is your favorite line down the waterfall? What is the easiest line? Hardest line? I take the line all the way to the right. The spine f***s with my mind. I have never tried all the way to the left.

4) What is the most Jack in the Box tacos you have ever eaten in one sitting? Technically two, since I have never attempted to eat more than that. Not bad though.

5) If a co-worker gave you a Scratcher Lottery Ticket for Xmas and it won a thousand dollars, would you share it with them or keep it all for yourself? If you would keep it, would you tell them you won?

I would give them a cut, or use some of it to buy them a pretty rad present.

6) When you swap your big ring for a bash guard do you re-adjust your front derailleur or do you just remember not to go into the highest gear? Not sure if there is a way to adjust the high limit on the front derailleur?

I think I just don't shift up

7) If you could have any thing in the world, bike related, free of charge, what would it be? Whistler in the backyard is still the best idea going.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.