Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
6,153 Posts
James_c said:
When you go to the LBS , is it like a store where the prices are set or can you talk them down in price or throw in extras.??

any suggestoings?
Sure, go for it. Realize they opperate on slim margins and provide you lots for it - they build and adjust the bike, fit it to you, consult you on the right model and most give you post sale support in the way of tune ups and such...

They make more money on accessories - so if you want to make a deal, ask them what they can do for you on your helmet, kickstand and bell...

Good luck.

·
Registered
11,785 Posts
Most likely

James_c said:
When you go to the LBS , is it like a store where the prices are set or can you talk them down in price or throw in extras.??

any suggestoings?
if you can play them off another LBS, superstore or mailorder. But they will have to confirm pricing so you cant bullshlt um. And if they wont then go elsewhere..

·
There's no app for this.
5,369 Posts
yes and no

on a cheapo $199 special? No. On a $5000 XC racer? Sure. In the middle somewhere? Depends on the bike, the store, the owner, and a whole raft of factors.

In high season like right now? Unlikely. or less likely. In January with 10' of snow on the ground and no customers in sight? Yes.

Jim

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
You bet.

James_c said:

any suggestoings?
I was just comparing prices at shops in Calgary for the same bike and one shop was priced higher than the other buy a little over $100.00. I asked the shop manager if he would match the cheaper price and he offered to match and beat it. A hundred bucks may not sound like much but it is better than no discount.

If the bike is worth over $2000.00 there usually is some room to move. You have to be confident also. Sometimes a dealer will sell a bike without the tax if you pay sticker price.

Right now is a good time of the year to make a deal on last years models as the dealer wants the old bikes to clear out to make room for new stock. It is harder to get deals at the beginning of the season on the new bikes.

Be persistant and you will get some sort of a deal.

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
Dealin

It's usually fairly easy to beat them down quite a bit because my the LBS's are mail order joints so all you have to do is show a compettitors add or sometimes just bring it up. One LBS is The bike company, I went in there looking for a gusset single speed kit that they wanted $39.99 for it but Jenson and Price point adds were only $19.99 I asked why they were so special and they said they'ed match it which sucks for the guy who dosn't shop around.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Every LBS deals differently

I worked with 3 different shops in my area. One kinda glitsy place in the high rent district that I bought a bike from many moons ago. They Were a small eclectic shop in Yuppytowne and got sold, moved and totally changed. They slightly discounted from MSRP but nothing more from their published price book. With the idiots they now have working there I found it amazing they could read the price list. Obviously I left. The other 2 shops were both willing to deal but on different terms. Let's call them LBS A and B. A has a spring blowout sale. 20% off MSRP on any bike in the store. They said they would extend that deal to higher level special order bikes. I was looking at a Specialized Stumpy 100 Disk and it was a nice deal and it was a decent family owned shop but I think it was more a business to them than a true passion. Shop B represented Kona and I was interested in the Dawg and Kikipu series. Smaller shop than shop A and the owner had worked at shop A prior to striking out on his own. He is also 5 minutes from my company. I had bought my son a 04 leftover Kona from him at a great price. When I asked for pricing on the 05 line up he wrote down all the MSRP numbers. I was totally bummed. I came back the next day and told him I was stuck between the Dawg Dee-Lux and the SJ100. He knew where the SJ was coming from and also knew about their 20% deal. I asked if he would discount the Kona and he said yes because I had bought another bike from him that year. Yes, a bike at a tremendous discount but I wasn't going to remind him. He knocked off 10% which put the Kona at the same exact price as the Specialized. This is a small, very focused, and passionate shop. I bought the Kona. I might have bought it without the discount though. In the end the shop can be a difference maker.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Tough one

Short answer is: Yes

I have purchased several bikes from various shops around the country as I move around a bit. I have dealt with some great shops that treat loyal customers very well. Most brick and mortar shops have high sticker prices as another poster mentioned. I think it safe to assume that most posters here are savy internet shoppers and have a good sense of where the deals are. I think in today's day and age it is fair to try and get the best price possible. Keep in mind you have to factor in what the value of free maintenance and expertise is to you. Some people just need the best price possible because they turn their own wrenches. While others need some advice or help with a tire change. You have to make that evaluation for yourself. I definately try to support the local bike shop, but sometimes it is very hard to justify the prices. For most clothes or accesories it is simply way to cheap to go with pricepoint or greenfish or another e-tailer depending on sales. I think if you can establish a good rapport with your local shop, and explain that you would be a loyal customer if treated fairly and given good pricing that you would be suprised what can happen.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.