Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Come see me after class
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read the reviews for Shimano's XT V-brakes in the reviews section, and everybody was giving it bad reviews. I had Deore LX on my bike, and thought I "upgraded" when I bought the XT's. Should I keep the LX and return the XT?

·
Registered
7,247 Posts
XTR, XT's and Deores

I've had all 3. The next bike on the build queue will have Deore V's. Way more cost effective, simpler, almost as powerful and easy to setup and at about the same weight...

·
Registered
388 Posts
I hated my XTs. In spite of my best efforts, I was never able to adjust them to be quiet. I replaced with a set of Avids and found immediate peace.

That was a few years ago. I use disk brakes now and will never go back.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Seems to me it was the first versions of xt v calipers that a lot of people had noise problems with, how old were the reviews? I have a recent version on one bike and it's fine, and especially nice since it was practically free (bought a set of brifters with calipers for cheap on closeout).

·
Registered
388 Posts
purchased the noisey set I had in 2002. still have them in my basement. i don't like to part with old parts. it's hard, you know?

·
Registered
115 Posts
alexrex20 said:
I read the reviews for Shimano's XT V-brakes in the reviews section, and everybody was giving it bad reviews. I had Deore LX on my bike, and thought I "upgraded" when I bought the XT's. Should I keep the LX and return the XT?
I was using avid arch rival, deore, and deore xt (new ones).
XT is by far the best. Best modulation and lots of power (much more than 6 inch hayes hydraulics).
My friend uses xt, now he has magura hs 33. Xt was again much stronger.

·
Registered
445 Posts
The ones I had a few years back squealed like pigs. The ones that came with my bike last year have been nice and quiet for a whole year now. They have fixed something.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Threw mine in the garbage!

I too wanted to "upgrade" the stock brakes on a Trek 6700, squealed like a pig no mater what trick or setup I tried. Pads picked up alot of metal from the rim, my understanding is that they where to hard of a compound. I recently gave this bike to my brother and put back on the stock Promax V brakes, threw the XT's in the trash and wonder why I bothered. Note to self, when you see a 50% off sale on "good" part maybe there is a reason why.

·
Registered
6 Posts
marsb said:
:rolleyes:
Who wants to call bs on this statement? Any takers?
I Will!!! I had xt's for years and like a dummy kept buying them when the parallel push pivots got sloppy (the rebuild kits are a PITA). Then I got HS33's. Funny, I haven't changed anything since . . . :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts