Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have we had this discussion yet? (If we have, can someone link it?).

If not, how wide are your bars and why? Seems like the trend is heading toward wider bars and the leverage argument makes sense to me.

Current setup: 66cm bars (came w/ my bike) Ergons w/ bar-ends on flat Niner bars (love this setup) and ride mostly the fire-roads and open-singletrack we have around here. I'm 5'7", 145lb, 36cm shoulders and I like to climb.

Any advice appreciated.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Hm. I felt like I HAD to have wider bars on my geared bike, when I got the 740mm I didn't regret it. However, on my single speed I am running 680mm and oddly enough I have not yet felt the urge to replace them.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I have 690mm flat bars with cane creek bar ends and they are perfect. Any wider and I would be grabbing trees and brush way to often. Bar ends give way better leverage for climbing than wider bars IMO. You're more powerful holding bars palms facing one another vs palms facing to the rear. The only way to equal that leverage is to get ridiculously wide bars. You don't need them for steering unless you are a bit of a nancy which is not common for one speeders. Climbing seems to be the only reason for people going so wide. A 29" bike is not much harder to steer than a 26". I think it is just another passing fade. If you can get away with extra wide bars then more power to you but there is a limit to the terrain one can ride by going this route. In the mountains we need to be slim and trim on a lot of our trails.

·
On wuss patrol
5,159 Posts
I run 28"-31" bars on my bikes with Ergons and bar ends so I have what I consider the best of both worlds for leverage. Yes, I occasionally bump a tree or other tall, fixed objects and have even hooked a couple over the last year or so. Nothing has thrown me from the bike yet. I also have a 6' 10" wingspan so the wide bar geo works for me in opening up the cockpit.

Yeah, wide-super wide may be a passing fad and we may see widths come down to rest in the 700-750 range but I will always have around 800mm bars simply for the control and fit, even on my XC race rigs. I think the wider size is here to stay in the DH camp.

Awshucks, that seems kinda backward. A lot of ss'ers run a wider bar on their single speeds for the extra leverage and a narrower on their geared rigs due to less leverage requirements and better maneuverability.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Glide the Clyde;11082123 Awshucks said:
Yeah, I know. Well it wasn't exactly by choice. My geared bike is a 29er and I literally felt like I needed wider bars for more control over technical areas. I'm also 6'5 with a broad arm span too. My SS is a 26er rigid and I got the first affordable 24.5 bars I saw at 680mm and they fit really nice on that bike and I don't think I'll ever replace them. Weird but I guess it all works. I also have not taken my SS out to the same technical trails I felt like I needed wider bars for on my geared bike. The SS is usually reserved for faster, shorter sprint style rides at my local trail, so that may be why.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I run 700mm, but would prefer to run even wider. However, if I want to stay on the bike and not leave my rig between trees on tight single track in the area where I live I have to stay with 70mm.

Currently building up more of an AM/Gravity SS (Canfield Brothers Nimble 9) and reckon I will run somewhere between 750 and 780mm on that one.

It's a very personal thing.

·
Rogue Exterminator
4,951 Posts
It really comes down to personal preference.

My full suspension geared bike has 690 mm bars.
my Single Speed has 700 mm bars.

My trails are pretty tight and twisty and I used to clip trees regularly but I learned not to.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I'm still a newb but i tried a few different sizes and the wide 760+mm bars feel the best for me. They make me feel more stable and in control, and overall better and more comfortable for climbing out of the saddle. Body size makes a difference. I'm 6'5", 190lbs, broad shoulders and a huge wingspan.

·
Shirtless Singlespeeder
506 Posts
love my 800 mm Kore Torsions. Rode bar ends for a while but I get just as much leverage climbing without them with these. The wider bars help dampen the ride on the rigid and give me very secure feel of the trail. I have found that the width helps open up my chest to aid breathing when climbing. Now if I could only figure out how to get then out of my shop........

·
The Original Suspect
2,387 Posts
I run 710 mm Easton Haven bars on my SS. My first set of wide bars and I love them! My full squish has 680 mm bars and they used to feel great but now they feel very narrow. I plan on picking up a set of carbon Haven bars for the SS and swopping out the aluminum ones for the other ride.

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
I currently have 58 cm bars (plus bar ends) on my single speed and 65 cm bars on my geared bike. The 65 cm bars feel too wide for me. I am 5'6" and short wingspan, of course.

But I am replacing the stem and bars on the single speed (after 6 years of racing) with a 60 cm bar and no bar ends. But that will be plenty wide for me.

·
SSolo, on your left!
2,577 Posts
Have we had this discussion yet? (If we have, can someone link it?).

If not, how wide are your bars and why? Seems like the trend is heading toward wider bars and the leverage argument makes sense to me.

Current setup: 66cm bars (came w/ my bike) Ergons w/ bar-ends on flat Niner bars (love this setup) and ride mostly the fire-roads and open-singletrack we have around here. I'm 5'7", 145lb, 36cm shoulders and I like to climb.

Any advice appreciated.
Not necessarily, I cut all my bars to the width that is comfortable to me, that I can quickly navigate tight twisty trails, but still have good leverage and control in the rough.

EDIT: Everybody's body is different, do what works for you. I like Easton EA50 and they are 685mm wide, I cut a little at a time and then ride it several times, ended up removed about 1" from each end....so I'm at like 25" wide (635mm).

·
Registered
219 Posts
My fatboy has 700mm and I'm 5'11". They feel too wide for me and I clip trees. My last bike was from 2001 and the bars were much narrower. I never had an issue with those. I thought 700 was wide but I guess these days there is even much wider!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.