Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
The Dude Abides
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like Spec is making their own fork and rear shock for their '07 bike line.

This worrie me a little. It always seems like when companies start making proprietary parts the ability to upgrade is either greatly reduced, or the cost to do so is greatly increased beacuse you have to put more proprietary parts on.

They have already sold their bikes with custom made/tuned rear shocks (ie the 5th element on the enduros), which seems like it reduces the amount of interchange posibilites. If Spec's new rear shock comes in an eye-to-eye length that no one else uses, then up grading could be difficult, or throw off the geometry.

Am I being too paranoid, or does anyone else feel the same way?

Peace,
Eric

·
Registered
16 Posts
Fine by me.

The guy designing the forks/shocks has an excellant track record and certainly here in the UK the back-up and support from Specialized is second to none - certainly better than any of the other shock/fork importers.

As long as the forks are 1 1/8th inch steerer then compatability won't be a problem and a shock that's designed to work with the bike must be better than a bought off the shelf part.

No-one seems to worry about the bespoke shock on the Epic, or the pull shock on the Scott Genius for example.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.