Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
No...

Are we being forced to 11 gears? Starting to feel sick just thinking about 10 gears.
No, we are being forced to 13 gears... The eleven gear crap they're starting to serve up now is just a breif stop along the way to the 13 gear cassette of 2019.

Remember when razorblades went from singles to doubles? Mad Magazine or Saturday Night Live, or somebody at that timedid a spoof ad with a razor that featured 3 or 4 blades. Go to the store now, and you can find 3 blade, 4 blade or even 5 blade razors being sold...

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Are we being forced to 11 gears ?

Yes and I like it :) Plenty of high and low , cleaner bar, more ground clearance, crisper shifting, less weight and allows manufacturers more freedom in design like lowering center of gravity.

Only issue I have is them dang 10X42 cassettes are pricey.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are we being forced to 11 gears ?

Yes and I like it :) Plenty of high and low , cleaner bar, more ground clearance, crisper shifting, less weight and allows manufacturers more freedom in design like lowering center of gravity.

Only issue I have is them dang 10X42 cassettes are pricey.

What does ground clearance have to do with it? How is it light if we are adding more gears?....UM.......PASS!!!!

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Nobody is forcing you to do anything. Mountain biking is a hobby that you don't even have to participate in. You can quit right now.

However, if you want to continue, but "progress" bums you out too much, you could just ride with one gear and not worry about it.

It works for me :)

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
What does ground clearance have to do with it? How is it light if we are adding more gears?....UM.......PASS!!!!
Clearly he's referring to 1X setups that commonly run relatively small single front rings, and one isn't adding gears if they are dropping the front derailleur, and one is also losing weight by not using a front shifter/cable/front derailleur/multiple rings.

GET IT NOW????

·
Registered
732 Posts
Actually, I know what you mean. I feel the pressure too. Every time I get on my '90's era 8 speed Merlin, actuate my V-brake levers, and stare down at my fork with it's 1" steerer tube. I think about how we area all being forced to 11 gears, and I feel just sick inside. It's getting so I can hardly ride.

·
Registered
221 Posts
How is it light if we are adding more gears?....UM.......PASS!!!!
Thus far the point of the 11spd cassette is that you are eliminating multiple gears up front (thus the shifter and deraillure) which is where the weight savings kicks in. I have yet to ride this setup but seems like it works well and is what people are wanting. My biggest concern is price, but that should come down over time if the tech trickles down to the mid spec bikes. I will need to try it myself to see if it will work for me in Colorado.

{edit} Currently I am still rockin a 3x8. I would happily run a 1x11 if I could still haul myself up the climbs with it and cost wasn't more than my current bike. :)

·
The Original Suspect
2,383 Posts
After riding 3x for so many years until seeing the error in my ways and building a SS. I converted to 1x10 for a couple months and found that I could ride that gearing (11-36/32) on about 90% of my rides. I have yet to try 1x11 but completely see it's usefulness.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
I am happy 3x9 use here. Just completed the Whiskey 50 on my 3x9 and was happy I had that ratio spread. 22/34 for the steep parts of the climb out of skull valley (2 hr 2600 feet) and then used my 44/11 for the fast roll down to the valley and on the pavement at the end of the race. I was happy to have the high and the low.

In fact I look at it this way.
I have
1x9 with a 22 chainring for steep climbs,
1x9 with a 32 chainring for moderate climbs and rolling terrain
1x9 with a 44 chainring for descents and pavement work

I never have chose which chain ring I want to run before I ride. I just bring them all. :)

Reactions: Centurion_

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
The new Shimano XTR 11 speed group has options for 1x, 2x, and 3x setups. So just to be clear, 11 speed does not imply 1x only. It just means 11 cogs in back instead of 8,9, or 10.

Also, you can run 1x with an 8,9, or 10 speed cassette just as easily as with 11. An 11 speed cassette just allows you to have smaller jumps between gears when you extend the range by adding those really big cogs.

Personally I felt like 9 was about right. But then, I currently have two mountain bikes and both of them are single speeds, so maybe I am just weird.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Yes, but I don't see the point of your post.

Over the years it has gone from 6 to 7 to 8, etc. and each change forced the rider, from a new product standpoint, to a higher cassette count. I don't see why this is any different.

The best part is that you can ride whatever gearing you want. And there are so many more options than BITD so to speak.

John

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
There is a conspiracy abound they tell me.

I thought going to 2 was bad enough but this is ridiculous. I hope I have the legs for a 1x set-up. Damn the boat people!

·
Banned
1,372 Posts
I run 8-speed. I've run 8-speed since around 1995. I also run 1x8 on one bike, and have run it since around 2000. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
I am happy 3x9 use here. Just completed the Whiskey 50 on my 3x9 and was happy I had that ratio spread. 22/34 for the steep parts of the climb out of skull valley (2 hr 2600 feet) and then used my 44/11 for the fast roll down to the valley and on the pavement at the end of the race. I was happy to have the high and the low.

In fact I look at it this way.
I have
1x9 with a 22 chainring for steep climbs,
1x9 with a 32 chainring for moderate climbs and rolling terrain
1x9 with a 44 chainring for descents and pavement work

I never have chose which chain ring I want to run before I ride. I just bring them all. :)
Plus one. Tries the 1x setup, overrated. Its only good for specific ride built bike like a race where u know the gearing you need. I don't want to remove my crankset to change chainrings every time I ride somewhere new.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I run a 2x7 on 2 of my bikes. 2x8/2x9 would work on one of them. One of the bikes has a 2x7 cassette with 8 speed spacers. What this does is allows me to run all 7 gears, low to high, on each chainring without too much crossover (although the small/small is rarely used).

Because of the gaps in the number of teeth, it would not make for a racing setup, but for getting out and riding, at least for me, I find it works great. If I know the terrain I can just run as a 1x and only go to a different chainring when necessary. If I am uncertain I can run the smaller chainring the first time through.

John

1 - 20 of 65 Posts