Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
S*it Happens!
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I'm starting to read here in this forum that some people a having problems with TruVativ BB.I have the GXP's on my bike and remember reading that these where not that great as well.

Click Here

I realize this one is not the same one i have. But I remembering reading yesterday that someone had problems with the plastic casing on their GXP's BB and had to replace them and he got a lot of responses from people who had to do the thing. But I can't find the thread. Well my question is should i start looking for some replacements and what should be?

Fred.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Why worry about a problem that you haven't experienced yet? Remember most complaints on these forums are a very small percentage of the overall users of a given product, most of whom have no particular problems.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Mine sucks. Bad design. I have some gigapipe ISIS hunk of junk. The guy that said to take the forum complaints with a grain of salt should be ignored. One guy ranting doesn't mean jack and should be ignored. A whole bunch of guys saying they broke brand x in x location means jack. The gigapipe does truly suck.

·
Registered
122 Posts
OregonXC said:
Mine sucks. Bad design. I have some gigapipe ISIS hunk of junk. The guy that said to take the forum complaints with a grain of salt should be ignored. One guy ranting doesn't mean jack and should be ignored. A whole bunch of guys saying they broke brand x in x location means jack. The gigapipe does truly suck.
I have gone through 3 ISIS Truvativ's BB and 1 American Classic ISIS BB in less then 15 months. I have switched back to a square taper BB.

The ISIS bearings just don't last.

·
S*it Happens!
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
corner_stuffed said:
I have gone through 3 ISIS Truvativ's BB and 1 American Classic ISIS BB in less then 15 months. I have switched back to a square taper BB.

The ISIS bearings just don't last.
Well if they turn out to be junk what should i look for as a replacement?:confused:

·
S*it Happens!
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Strafer said:
Most complaints seem to be about ISIS BB, do you have external BB?
Yes! I have TruVativ's GXP sealed external bearings & TV's FireX GXP cranks. Do you see problems if my future?:eek:

·
it's....
2,088 Posts
Moto Rider said:
Yes! I have TruVativ's GXP sealed external bearings & TV's FireX GXP cranks. Do you see problems if my future?:eek:
I'm not familiar with GXP external bearings, but if they turn crappy you can replace with RaceFace external bearings, less than $40.

·
S*it Happens!
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Strafer said:
I'm not familiar with GXP external bearings, but if they turn crappy you can replace with RaceFace external bearings, less than $40.
I will keep that in mind :thumbsup:

Thanks!

·
Space for rent...
1,012 Posts
I ran a TruVativ ISIS GigaPipe SL for about 3,000 kms, before it required replacing. The last 500 kms or so, it was rough, but I wanted to make it until the end of the season.

I bought another two as OEM take-offs from Jenson. Put one on my regular bike, and the other on my new singlespeed. I have done around 2,300 kms on this bike, and the BB is as good as the day i installed it. Considering the extra abuse singlespeeding does to it, I am very impressed at the way it has held up.

Read the reviews on all the ISIS BB's and you will see for the large part, they don't get good reviews. I think it is luck of the draw how long they last. I guess I got lucky :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
I had an ISIS Gigapipe. It started giving me problems within 6 months. It failed "fantastically", as the bike mech put it, last month. We went to the Shimano Hollowtech II stuff.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.