Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Class Clown
3,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/WH707A17-Shimano+Deore+Discrhyno+Lite+Wheelset.aspx

I'm looking for a cheap set to replace the stock wheels on my '07 Rockhopper. Basically something to last the summer/fall.

I ride mainly XC/Trail in New England, lots of rocks to go over both uphill and down, some technical stuff, and some street riding thrown in. I don't do jumps/drops really.

So I was looking at the Sun Rhyno Lite/Shimano Deore's on Jenson, or maybe the Mavic Crossride UB/Disc. The Sun combo is about a pound heavier overall.

I've always found Shimano hubs to be reliable and easy to service, so I'm a little concerned with Mavic's proprietary hubs/spokes, and having only 24 spokes.

Unfortunately that's about the limit of my budget atm with all the other parts I need, but my stocks are falling apart. Stock rims are 17" Alex rims with low-end Shimano hubs.

I should add I weigh about 180 lbs.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
The Deore Rhyno Lite combo will likely be more reliable in the long run. Yeah, they'e a little on the heavy side, but I used to ride Rhyno lites on XT hubs and the strength was worth the extra weight. There's something to be said for not having to stand in front of a truing stand during the season.

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
If you want to shave a little weight, get these instead
http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/WH707A19-Shimano+Deore+Discds-2+Wheelset.aspx

I had a set of the same rims and hubs that I purchased as backup wheels but I ended up using quite a bit. I beat the snot out of them, yet they held up fine. I weigh 225lbs plus gear and they were on a 5" travel bike that I rode AM regularly.

They are machine built so don't expect miracles but I was impressed with the durability of the DS2 rim. You'll save at least 1/2 lbs over the Rhyno Lites.

·
Class Clown
3,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yep those are the other ones i'm considering, just not sure how they will hold up compared to wider rims with more spokes.

my friend has a pair of mavic's that he swears by but they are much higher end

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
dundundata said:
yep those are the other ones i'm considering, just not sure how they will hold up compared to wider rims with more spokes.

my friend has a pair of mavic's that he swears by but they are much higher end
My friend is about 170 lb geared up and he is running a 24 spoke narrow rim on his XC/Trail bikes. He usually only does trail riding on technical stuff, but sometime he rides the more technical trails with a few foot drop on it. The wheels so far seem to have held up great for him and he's running a true 2.35 on a 19mm rim.

I wouldn't worry about it too much especially since you said you don't do jumps/drops. I'd pick the Mavic for price to weight.

·
The Cheater
552 Posts
Mavic wheels resale have been good simply because they are known to have very reliable hubs though not the fastest. I'd say you can't go wrong with a Mavic but I personally would get a Fulcrum simply because they are strong and have very very fast hubs. I'm into the racer crowd :)

·
Class Clown
3,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks i ended up going with the Crossrides for now seemed like the best deal until I can build (or have built) a more serious wheel.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts