EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
7,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Wanna ride bikes?
9,827 Posts
Continental Trail King Protection Apex 27.5 2.2
https://www.continental-tires.com/bicycle/tires/mountainbike-tires/trail-king-protection-apex

The little chart shows 44-58 PSI

Now, I run these at 19 to 25psi depending on the day, and they are mighty firm as they are. a bit floppy at 19-22 on pavement corners but grip well in wet...

Who or what or when would folks use 44-58 PSI ? They seem impossibly hard at those pressures.
In Germany they use knobby tires on road bikes?

·
Up In Smoke
Dirt Roadë
3,281 Posts
When a bag of popcorn says to cook for 2 minutes do you cook it for 2 minutes or do you pull it out after a minute and a half?

·
Registered
6,094 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Yea, and the "liability" isn't the word you think it is, it is in a special LBS language that roughly translates into "over inflating any object that holds air until it nearly explodes so we don't ever have to re-inflate that specific object again until it is sold".

·
since 4/10/2009
34,600 Posts
Continental Trail King Protection Apex 27.5 2.2
https://www.continental-tires.com/bicycle/tires/mountainbike-tires/trail-king-protection-apex

The little chart shows 44-58 PSI

Now, I run these at 19 to 25psi depending on the day, and they are mighty firm as they are. a bit floppy at 19-22 on pavement corners but grip well in wet...

Who or what or when would folks use 44-58 PSI ? They seem impossibly hard at those pressures.
believe it or not, I have actually encountered people who ride mtb tires at those pressures, currently. I don't think I've ever used more than 35psi and that was back when I was riding 1.95's 20yrs ago.

Nowadays, you need to pay attention to pressure ratings for the rims, too.

0321191201 by Nate, on Flickr

I do run about 50-55psi in the 700x35 tires on my commuter bike when I am riding pavement, and a bit less when I'm riding gravel.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I usually ride with 35 psi on my 2.3 Minions. But I weigh 270 lb, naked. Below 32 psi I start having burps somewhat frequently. At 25 psi they may come off the rim - known from (bad) experience.

·
mbtr member
6,503 Posts
I usually ride with 35 psi on my 2.3 Minions. But I weigh 270 lb, naked. Below 32 psi I start having burps somewhat frequently. At 25 psi they may come off the rim - known from (bad) experience.
doubledowns, my friend. ;)

·
XC iconoclast
Church of Real Metal
2,198 Posts
When a bag of popcorn says to cook for 2 minutes do you cook it for 2 minutes or do you pull it out after a minute and a half?
C'mon you know that so many 'official' recommendations are off. Older stick shift car manuals said to shift at 1800 rpm for the gas mileage. If you shift an overhead cam engine at 1800 rpm all the time the camshaft will get prematurely worn, and that's thousands $$ wasted for following stupid directions. Everyone knows to shift at 3000-3500 rpm normally.

I have some hybrid 1.95 inch tires in my garage, after about 35 psi they get pretty damn firm. I don't think they would feel any firmer if I pumped them up to 50 psi. For a 2.2 44-58 psi just seems really high for dirt, maybe on pavement it would be OK. But I guarantee after about 30-35 psi they will feel very firm so what's the point of continuing to pump them up after that anyway. Maybe they last longer between pumps? It takes like 10 seconds to pump up a narrow tire. I've never had an exact 2.20 yet but for 2.25 I would do 22-24 in front and maybe 26-28 in back on dirt or pavement.

In a different thread some XC racers were saying that they won races because their 2.1 or 2.2 tires were pumped up more than the competition --- the other guys often got flats if they went below 30 psi. So maybe at higher speed for several hours at a time a higher PSI is better. For normal trail riding, I doubt it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.