Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been out of the MTB scene for about 2 decades now and getting back into it this year. SO in my digging around researching to bring myself back up to speed i ran across Fat bikes, and now I "think" I'm pretty much sold on a Nicolai Argon fat pinion, which led me to researching fat forks since i have seen this bike in what appears to be early development equipped with a Carver trans fat, but yet on the current web site appears with a rock shox bluto.

Again I have been out the loop for twenty years so when i started to see what options were out there for fat susp forks I quickly noticed that the Bluto was and is readily available, but the carver pictured on the early argon was not.....
Then I ran across the Sandman fork one night while dropping down the interwebs wabbit hole...
Shortly after is where i encountered the Muru fork...

With that, it appears to me that the Muru, Trans fat, Sandman, and 11nine are in fact all the same fork????
Not just because they all look the same , but actually I picked up on how whenever all these are mentioned, there is zero mention of dampening and if they are air or spring( at least in what i ran across).
Is this true? If so, does this leave the fatties with only 2 sus fork options currently (bluto or this Asian unknown)? I ask because i am not impressed with the bluto at all and am seeking something more performance/tune oriented.

·
will rant for food
3,963 Posts
Yes, some call it The Fork Of Many Names.

Spendy, but appears to perform.

Just like the Pinion! I want one of those really badly.

edit - also, consider getting a Lefty. Squishes real nice.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I think you're going to have another choice pretty quickly. Cannondale Lefty for sure (a specific fat fork), but the question is, does Rock Shox improve the Bluto, or add another fork altogether, or does another maker emerge? IDK the answer, but it's happening. Public wants better than the Bluto, although I like it personally, it has it's short comings that haven't gone unnoticed.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Drew, so they "appear to perform" ...honestly i am lost in that statement. i think these CarMUSanNines forks are lacking in the dampening dept.

I want what I know can be engineered ...High/Low speed dampening, rebound, compression, ... so I will ask, though I think I know the answer, it seems the bluto is the better of two evils????
Drew, i have dabbled very little in looking at lefties, though the lefties i have read up on seemed good, i am still at a loss how to fully and appropriately approach a lefty fat build....advice?

·
Registered
167 Posts
The sandman fork is the German Flame fork, which is a higher quality component than the fork of many names (carver, 11nine etc) i believe.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
WJH can u back this up that in fact the A Flame and Sandman are "different"? If so can u provide FULL specs (dampening/rebound/compression/HS/LS)?

·
Registered
7,353 Posts
Before you fit a suspension fork, have you ridden a fatbike?

For almost all uses of the fatbike suspension is unnecessary.

Naturally if you are intending to be doing jumps or downhill activities etc, it is different. But only fit one if you really need too because fatbikes are heavy enough without adding weight that you don't need.

On stuff I used to need a suspension fork for on my skinny tyred 26" bike I find the fatbike just steamrolls over smoothly.

Another fork option is the Lauff from Iceland, but you may find that a bit "unusual" looking, but the owners love it. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wjh ,thnx for the link. I had not seen those.

Shark , I have no idea how to go about a lefty build AND a lefty would mean when packing I no longer have the forks to place any cages :-(

Velo , I've only ridden a farley. Wow those lauffs are definitely interesting and VERY light. I'm no engineer but to me they look fragile.

If I went lefty im going to assume I surely would not want to offset weight by attaching a cage/dry sack to it? So I'm thinking it would be best to have a second standatd fork for bikepacking?
I'm gonna search the forums on this but still ask here, what are good/proper canidates for a lefty build? Where is a good reliable source for clamps? What should I be on the lookout for when attempting this?

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Oldskoot, ride a few more bikes, go on some longer rides.
You might find you don't even want a fork - and it's too early for you to determine that you're not impressed with the Bluto frankly.

Rigid works well on a fatbike. If you do want a suspension fork, might as well wait and see what's released this fall.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks, trying to get some more time in riding fatties w/o having to drive 2hrs. one way. As for cages on sus, thats correct, easily attach with clamps.
There is one orher bike I've been eyeing (non fat) that I question it's feasibility due to the rear sus design, but I won't ask here.

·
All fat, all the time.
8,709 Posts
In the end, its all on you to decide what you need, if you want the added expense of suspension on a fat bike ore not.
Personally, I won't go back to a rigid fatty (or a hardtail for that matter). Suspension is so good these days, the only downside is cost and maintenance.

But the added safety at speed, and comfort on long rough rides, is totally worth it.

Fyi, the lefty setup isn't difficult, you just need a set of wide clamps, and older lefty with removable clamps, and a competent wheel builder.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts