Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Enthusiast
5,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry! I hadn't fully unwrapped the frame.

Did check the eBay listing again, and the rear dropout is listed as 10x135mm thru-axle. There's a 12x142mm adapter available at extra cost. So the mystery is solved, and I just need to decide now which of the two options to run with. Either way I'm looking at a new wheel.

·
Land of the 230+
2,569 Posts
Even though the listing states they were 10x135, mistakes sometimes happen. Are they open dropouts? Meaning you can slide the skewers into the slots? Or is it a simple hole in each dropout, threaded or othewise? 135 will be a slot for sure, and while its hard to see in that pic, I don't think its a slot.

·
transmitter~receiver
9,334 Posts
Even though the listing states they were 10x135, mistakes sometimes happen. Are they open dropouts? Meaning you can slide the skewers into the slots? Or is it a simple hole in each dropout, threaded or othewise? 135 will be a slot for sure, and while its hard to see in that pic, I don't think its a slot.
It's not a q/r. The question is 135 thru axle or 142 thru axle. In either case it is not an open dropout.

OP - on a 135 the face of the dropout is flat, meaning that you have to have the wheel aligned right by holding it in place to get the axle through it. on a 142 there are recesses on both sides that the wheel slides into, holding it in the right place for you to put the axle in.

·
Land of the 230+
2,569 Posts
It's not a q/r. The question is 135 thru axle or 142 thru axle.
Thats fair, but the only 10x135 thru axles Ive seen are for use with QR dropouts, not a thicker threaded dropout or one with a recess for an E-type bolt. If it is a longer T/A that threads into the opposite dropout, I would think it would be proprietary to that frame then, and usually be provided with it.

EDIT: I guess I may be confusing a 135x10 "Thru Bolt" and not a true "Thru Axle". Apparently I am adding more harm than good to this thread.

·
Enthusiast
5,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jonathan is feeling Beyond Boneheaded (tm) now. Because here is what he saw when he pulled off the spacing tube between the dropouts:

Bicycle part Bicycle accessory Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle Bicycle frame

LOL. So obvious now that I actually look. Am feeling awfully silly for having begun this thread.

The good bit is that I won't need a new wheelset after all.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.