Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Enthusiast
5,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do the photos below show a 142mm through-axle arrangement? I'm thinking they do, but am looking for some confirmation. I guess I'm a little behind the times in the rear axle department.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431364424.645749.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431364440.176810.jpg

·
Enthusiast
5,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry! I hadn't fully unwrapped the frame.

Did check the eBay listing again, and the rear dropout is listed as 10x135mm thru-axle. There's a 12x142mm adapter available at extra cost. So the mystery is solved, and I just need to decide now which of the two options to run with. Either way I'm looking at a new wheel.

·
transmitter~receiver
9,311 Posts
Even though the listing states they were 10x135, mistakes sometimes happen. Are they open dropouts? Meaning you can slide the skewers into the slots? Or is it a simple hole in each dropout, threaded or othewise? 135 will be a slot for sure, and while its hard to see in that pic, I don't think its a slot.
It's not a q/r. The question is 135 thru axle or 142 thru axle. In either case it is not an open dropout.

OP - on a 135 the face of the dropout is flat, meaning that you have to have the wheel aligned right by holding it in place to get the axle through it. on a 142 there are recesses on both sides that the wheel slides into, holding it in the right place for you to put the axle in.

·
Land of the 230+
2,552 Posts
It's not a q/r. The question is 135 thru axle or 142 thru axle.
Thats fair, but the only 10x135 thru axles Ive seen are for use with QR dropouts, not a thicker threaded dropout or one with a recess for an E-type bolt. If it is a longer T/A that threads into the opposite dropout, I would think it would be proprietary to that frame then, and usually be provided with it.

EDIT: I guess I may be confusing a 135x10 "Thru Bolt" and not a true "Thru Axle". Apparently I am adding more harm than good to this thread.

·
Enthusiast
5,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jonathan is feeling Beyond Boneheaded (tm) now. Because here is what he saw when he pulled off the spacing tube between the dropouts:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431390542.786657.jpg

LOL. So obvious now that I actually look. Am feeling awfully silly for having begun this thread.

The good bit is that I won't need a new wheelset after all.

·
Enthusiast
5,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What is that, an extra long skewer? Does the hollow QR axle fit it that recess in the dropout? Interesting idea, and looks pretty sturdy. Happy to hear you got it all sorted out.
Just a long skewer. The frame uses Dave Weagle's split-pivot suspension design. It's similar in appearance to Trek's ABP.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts