Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
GEAUX TIGERS!!!
Joined
·
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone told me there are more trails past the blue gate on the right, where we usually park and access the trails. I was told there are some other trails at the next blue gate on the left side of the road. Is this true and are they worth it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,353 Posts
Yes it's true. Trails on both sides of the access road(blue gate).

Hagen said:
Someone told me there are more trails past the blue gate on the right, where we usually park and access the trails. I was told there are some other trails at the next blue gate on the left side of the road. Is this true and are they worth it?
 

·
mudnthebloodnthebeer
Joined
·
585 Posts
Hagen said:
Someone told me there are more trails past the blue gate on the right, where we usually park and access the trails. I was told there are some other trails at the next blue gate on the left side of the road. Is this true and are they worth it?
yes and yes.
 

·
Let's roll.
Joined
·
416 Posts
Bump.

Hmm...I've heard this rumor...but I have to ask: are the trails further up for shuttling only? I've heard murmurs of a new trail, but since I normally ride alone, the ride back up rocky point road isn't all that appealing. Of course, if the trails that good, I'll always make an exception...

Oh, and if you're worried about posting it here, remember that there's always PM :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
Any updates on this?

I was out there for the first time yesterday and was a little disappointed. I went to the gate on the right. The trails seemed to lack flow and were really short. Also, it seemed like they simply went straight through anything ahead of them eg. straight up the next hill. No switchbacks etc.

Is the gate on the left any better different?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
78 Posts
Where on Rocky Point do we park and access the trailhead? I asked on PUMP's forums but got no answer... I'm kinda disappointed with the amount of secrecy surrounding the local trails in pdx. I can't make a 2 hr drive to Siouxson for a good ride.

PUMP, for being mtb advocates, do not seem to advocate mtbing very well. Barely any trail maps or access info on the website for people new to the portland area .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
108 Posts
to answer your questions

jeebus said:
Where on Rocky Point do we park and access the trailhead? I asked on PUMP's forums but got no answer... I'm kinda disappointed with the amount of secrecy surrounding the local trails in pdx. I can't make a 2 hr drive to Siouxson for a good ride.

PUMP, for being mtb advocates, do not seem to advocate mtbing very well. Barely any trail maps or access info on the website for people new to the portland area .
http://www.pumpclub.org/node/548

http://www.pumpclub.org/node/237

It is not about secrecy. It is private land. Siouxon is public.

PUMP has been an important part of creating and keeping this trail system open to us trail users. They even took the responsibility of complying to the requests of the land owners in the removal of trails (which I understand they had no part in building) as well as other trail maintenance.

If you want to learn more about the area have someone who knows their way around show you. Go to one of there meetings and see how much advocacy work they really do. And ask around someone is always riding up there . Since it is winter organized rides happen less frequently.

As far as other local trails in Portland which are legal you have Powell Butte and Forest Park and that information can be found on line in the parks departments websites

Welcome to Portland. We never advertised ourselves as the mt.biking mecca :thumbsup:
 

·
troubled economist
Joined
·
591 Posts
RPR is private land and typically w/ trails like that the unwritten rule is not to post maps of those trails. Kinda frustrating, yeah, but I understand the request.

The trails on the right side of the road (blue gate #1) are rather short, but a good amount of tight, quick stuff. The trails all spur off the fire roads there. They were marked/signed at one time but the land owners (Longview Fibre) requested that the signs, man-made features be taken down (although the links that cndw posted aren't working right now, I think the links were to the letter from LF requesting this).

There are trails on both sides of the road, including a couple of longer trails on the East side (accessed via the second blue gate, aka first blue gate on the left as you drive in on RP Rd) that have nice flow and you can loop via the fireroads there for a good work out. One trail, the "DH" trail, runs all the way down and dumps out on Hwy 30 by the weigh station, and you can climb the fire road back up from there, or start there and do an O&B.

The best way to figure them out is just go and ride them, or hook up w/ someone who's ridden there before. Several PUMP members maintain trail there. If you ride there, please remember that the local authorities request that you do not block the gate, so don't park in front of it.

Hope that helps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
207 Posts
bundyloco said:
I was out there for the first time yesterday and was a little disappointed. I went to the gate on the right. The trails seemed to lack flow and were really short. Also, it seemed like they simply went straight through anything ahead of them eg. straight up the next hill. No switchbacks etc.

Is the gate on the left any better different?
You were expecting Fruita or Moab?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
78 Posts
chick n da woods said:
Thanks for the info, guys. It helps to know where the trails start. When things dry out a bit, I'll explore the Scapoose trails a bit.

I joined PUMP and IMBA a few days earlier. I read the letter on the PUMP site and read the scapoose thread... I understand respecting that particular landowner's requests but I was just hoping that the PUMP site would have some maps of other rides in the area. But I do see that they're active in building, maintaining and landing more access...

I also forgot to check the gps sites like motionbased.com for other rides posted by locals. I bet I can find a few scapoose loops there.

Thanks again.
 

·
beautiful noise...
Joined
·
321 Posts
jeebus said:
Thanks for the info, guys. It helps to know where the trails start. When things dry out a bit, I'll explore the Scapoose trails a bit.

I joined PUMP and IMBA a few days earlier. I read the letter on the PUMP site and read the scapoose thread... I understand respecting that particular landowner's requests but I was just hoping that the PUMP site would have some maps of other rides in the area. But I do see that they're active in building, maintaining and landing more access...

I also forgot to check the gps sites like motionbased.com for other rides posted by locals. I bet I can find a few scapoose loops there.

Thanks again.
Thanks for joining PUMP jeebus :thumbsup: If you haven't already done so I suggest subscribing to the Yahoo Groups list-serve as that is an excellent way to keep up to date with active members. I've been active in the group for a number of years now and have grown to appreciate the countless hours that go into all of the "behind the scenes" work they do, not to mention the campouts, work-parties, and numerous group rides. I would be happy to show you around the Scapoose area some time. I ride there quite a bit in winter as a lot of the goods around here are under snow for 4 months outta the year. Feel free to e-mail me through my sig or shoot me a PM.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
101 Posts
It's crazy, bikers go out into private tree farms and create super cool singletrack without rules, with out enviromental impact statements, with out politics, with out considerations of multiple users, they just build it. But there are a few unwritten rules that help this go on. No man made structures to create liability, no damaging the trees, no maps, no signs, or breaking of any land owner rules. The only way to learn of them is through someone who knows them or build your own. I do both and I have over 70 miles of singletrack within 15 min. of my house most of which is rideable year round. LIFE IS GREAT. Get to know people and if your cool they might show ya lotsa Portlanders frequent the trails around here. only 45 min from Portland
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top