Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I kinda hate the road bikes, the thin tires, the funny looking handle bars, and sticky tape on it, the riders who look more arrogant and stiff (than mtbrs), and their questionable tight shorts/bibs and all of them going for the winner yellow color for jersey and wannabe armstrongs.

Are there more like me? I just don't like anything about road bikes or the riders.

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
I don't hate road bikes or riders.

The bikes, tires, bars, bibs etc. serve a purpose. The riders... they are just people. Also, riding in a group on the road requires a certain discipline to keep it safe. That may affect the attitudes while they are on a ride.

... I couldn't get anyone to join me for a trail ride yesterday because everybody had taken out their road bikes, or at least swapped tires, to go on a 2,000 rider group ride on the roads here ...

Reactions: JonathanGennick

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe, hate is a little strong word. I don't like that style of bikes and riders, ever since I was a kid. I am sure there will be road bikers that hates us.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I think you'll actually find that most good mountain bikers spend a fair amount of time on the road. I know a few of the guys on Industry 9's cycling team: awesome dudes. They are highly committed and damn scary on the bike, but really good guys.

I own two mountain bikes and a road bike. I spend time on both of them. The road bike makes me strong and it is fun to go out with a friend and beat each other up on climbs or chase each other down.

Im one of those guys who mountain bikes in lycra and jersey; it is more comfortable. I also shave my legs. No one has ever said anything to me about it, but now youve made me self-conscious. Maybe I should sell my hardtail and buy a DH bike and buy skate shoes, baggy shorts, and never climb another hill ever again; I'll just shuttle everything. Is that real biking?

IMO, we are all cyclists and we should find some common ground there. Stop creating stupid divisions.

·
Banned
19,198 Posts
I kinda hate the road bikes, the thin tires, the funny looking handle bars, and sticky tape on it, the riders who look more arrogant and stiff (than mtbrs), and their questionable tight shorts/bibs and all of them going for the winner yellow color for jersey and wannabe armstrongs.

Are there more like me? I just don't like anything about road bikes or the riders.

No, its just you. :rolleyes:

·
Made in Canada
415 Posts
IMO, we are all cyclists and we should find some common ground there. Stop creating stupid divisions.
I totally agree. To the OP, I love my road bike, (I don't wear sapndex). Another note on spandex/tight riding clothes, look at what all the hardcore XC racers wear... We all love cycling, why do you think there's a commuting forum here?

·
Enthusiast
5,359 Posts
I bet you're on of these guys who likes to throw gasoline onto a bonfire, right? :nono:

Just kidding, sort of.

Arrogant people can annoy me sometimes, but otherwise I just don't have the hate in me.

I will say though, that if road bikes were all that there were, that I would probably not be a biker today. It was the hard-core image of mountain-biking that drew me into cycling. From there I've branched out a bit into the other disciplines. I don't wear bibs and tights, but I do now own a drop-bar bike.

·
Hell Track
901 Posts
For transportation i'd much rather be on my road bike than my MB. My neighborhood is full of roadies due to all of the bike paths and hills. Personally i love it. i think its great that more and more people are cycling and getting fit. Whether it be road or dirt. Arrogant people are arrogant whether they ride on dirt or asphalt. Whatever trips your trigger and sparks your passion, but don't put others down for what they love to do.

besides, if you're into DH and Jumping you probably won't be doing that late in life, but you can ride a road bike into your old age.

·
Bro Mountainbiker
3,583 Posts
A little harsh man. Have you ever actually talked to a road biker? Sure they dont like to wave when riding but they are still cyclists just like all of us.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I think you'll actually find that most good mountain bikers spend a fair amount of time on the road. .

I think you mean that most good mountain bike RACERS spend a fair amount of time on road bikes.

I ride with a lot of good and some great mountain bikers that have huge technical skills and very good fitness. Very few of them spend any time on road bikes. Those of us who can ride our mountain bikes all year don't need to use a road bike to recover fitness. Just my opinion based on observations.

BTW.. I think roadies are swell except when they ride three abreast at 15 mph blocking roads where the speed limit is twice or three times that.

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
I think most grow out of it eventually.

Maybe it's wanting to compete. Maybe it's wanting to get some kind of riding, any kind of riding, in during the off-season in a part of the country with trails that need to be left alone when wet. Maybe it's a longish commute, and not wanting to chew up the MTB's knobby tires, or swap wheels all the time, or lock it outside. Maybe it's wanting to be able to go out the front door and ride, instead of having to drive somewhere.

Kinda reminds me of skiing vs. snowboarding. Sooner or later, adults tend to try both. ;)

My favorite kind of riding is certainly off-road. But I think my favorite bike is my road bike. Certainly it's the one I've owned the longest. Most of my cycling stuff at this point is lycra and polyester. In general, I probably get a little more ride time on the road, out of convenience, but I'm off-road at least once a week, usually more like twice, and most of my competing is off-road. I miss being in college and being able to get onto some grey trails less than a mile from my dorm, and some really good ones in fifteen or twenty minutes of riding, but life goes on and where I am now, if I didn't also ride road, I'd only be a commuter and weekend warrior.

·
It's about showing up.
12,738 Posts

I ride both. My son, a Varsity racer rides both as well and just took-up BMX. It is all cycling. It is all about moving forward, skill, power, nice machines, and adventure.:thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Bicyclochondriac.
14,451 Posts

While mtb is my my bigger passion, I do like road riding a lot. The spandex serves a good purpose. Spend a few hours on the road and it becomes quite clear. Same with the drop bars.

That said, I am not at all a fan of the "roadie culture". I'm the guy running 32c tires, with a rack on the back and hoods level with my saddle, and I can't stand riding in a pack. I also think matching outfits and bikes just look stupid, but that's just me.

This is my idea of a road bike (no real roadie would be caught dead on this:p):

Attachments

·
Hell Track
901 Posts
i hear you man. my road bike is an old trek 400 with the shifters on the down tube. got it for $160 on ebay. works for me. I will agree that some road bikers take advantage of the whole "share the road" thing. i mean if there is a nice big bike lane there is no reason to ride in the car lane when there is traffic.

·
Registered
661 Posts

Me personally, I hate intolerance and the Irish.

·
It's about showing up.
12,738 Posts
I think you mean that most good mountain bike RACERS spend a fair amount of time on road bikes.
Let's say that many good mountian bikers spend a fair amount of time on the road. It does provide a method of conditioning you can't get on a mtb but also has a right-out-the-door quality. It addresses the time-cruched set who have to worry less about maintenance or traveling to a trail head.

It is also an exceeding elegant form of cycling and power delivery with its own Zen.

I have to say though that I do have to manage more auto traffic by attention or screeening it out.

·
Super Moderator
8,633 Posts

there are plenty more like you....

but hey...wanna limit yourself go right ahead....

for me...there's a whole helluva a lot of fun to be had on drop bar'd bikes.....dirt, road, scenic, techy, flowing, HR busting....etc..etc..etc....

ya really don't know what you're missing...

:p

1 - 20 of 111 Posts