Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im running x819 rims with an albert 2.25 in the front of my 575 and theres times when i hit a rut and/or jump and the tire/rim interface weakens and out goes the air and a dose of stans. its happened in the rear where im using a nevegal.
are there rims in a similar weight category that help minimize this problem?

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
My rear 823's burped like a drunk man when I landed sideways, on transfers, moto whips and cornering really hard. So I ditched them....for other reason too. The front 823's are good tho.

I know some will say more air, but why compromise and be forced to pump-up when you don't have to. Just run tubes.....proven.

·
EDR
10,310 Posts
i never burped my Crossmax Enduros and I mostly ran the rear about 29lbs and the front about 33lbs. I'm not a big hit rider but once already on my 819's some air came out and the bead filled with crushed granite when the rear got caught in a rut while i was making a sharp turn. Bad luck maybe, I don't know but like I said, never had an issue with the Enduros.

I agree with not wanting to use more air. I like the plush feeling of ust and great grip at low pressures.

The enduro rim was a 20 something spoke set up so no 20mm axel can be used (that I know of, i'm sure somebody makes something that will work if you got the bucks)

G

·
it's a catch 22

low pressure on tubes = pinch flat

low pressure on tubeless = burp

i would rather deal with a burp. wider rims (823) will reduce burping for sure. 819 and Xmax XL are pretty much the same rims and i have burped a few times running about 30 psi.

·
EDR
10,310 Posts
mechmann_mtb said:
it's a catch 22

i would rather deal with a burp. wider rims (823) will reduce burping for sure. 819 and Xmax XL are pretty much the same rims and i have burped a few times running about 30 psi.
What about xmax enduros vs. xmax xl's? are they the same width? I don't know.

·
Banned
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
mechmann_mtb said:
it's a catch 22

i totally agree, id rather a burp than a flat any day. thats why i dont ever use tubes. i get a flat with those guaranteed at least once every 3 rides (rear wheel) while without no flats for weeks on end.

G

·
i have gone for several weeks with no flats or burps on my tubeless setup... BUT

last weekend we rode 3 days straight.

thurs- no incident
fri- burped the rear tire on a fast technical descent(pumped it back up without incident), then while riding hard and fast through a rough spot that i hadn't ridden previously i got a LARGE puncture from a root shaped like a spear(it was nearly dead in the center of the tread). all my stans sprayed out onto the ground, superglue wouldn't hold, and i was forced to put a tube in it.
sat- pinch flatted the stupid tube that i installed on friday going through a rock garden at FULL BOOGIE, then i got a HUGE gash in my front tire after floating off a big rock at the top of a steep section. when i landed (about 15ft later) a sharp rock slashed my tire(gash was off one side of the tread, but not on the sidewall as happened to me at Bootleg Canyon). had to put a tube in it.

i was very frustrated but i acknowledge that if i wasn't having quite so much fun, going quite that fast, or not as big as i am (approx 245 with gear) i wouldn't have these problems.

i am glad that i always have tubes with me to repair the bike, i still would rather not have to deal with it.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I've been running Sun Singletrack rims (a very wide rim) with Panaracer XC Fire UST tires for several months now. I'm 250lbs without gear and I ride aggresive singletrack full of rock gardens, root gardens, log crossings, and some creek crossings. I never run more than 32PSI in rear (usually run about 30) and I typically run 1-2 PSI less in front. I have never had a single burp with this setup.

G

·
as an update to my last post...

i decided to put some effort toward finding a good way to get around this whole massive puncture thing on my tires.

i made some patches from an old tube and after thouroughly cleaning and prepping the inside and outside of the tire, i superglued the patch on the inside and filled the hole with glue.

tires are good as new. :)

i made a patch kit for my bag with some patches cut from a tube, a bottle of superglue, and a nice rag for cleaning the hole. i tested the scenario of a trail puncture with one of my tires that had a sidewall slice. mounted it, put the stans in, inflated it, let some stans squirt out, then deflated the tire and patched it (while NOT spilling out all the stans that was in there), filled it back up (on the trail it takes CO2 to remount, but i didn't want to rubber-ball my stans if i didn't have to).

just wanted to share a happy moment. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts