Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help on Shimano M6000 RD-GS

Why are there two different version/types of it? Is there a difference on each type? First photo is taken from Shimano official website and the second photo is from a legit online seller. Both websites show the same specs for M6000 RD-GS.

Bicycle part Auto part Font Rim Wheel

Bicycle part Composite material Tool Machine Auto part

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The top picture on your post is the SGS (long cage) version. Sellers pics aren't always correct or accurate but the official Shimano website's usually is.?

View attachment 1948227
nope - the second photo you sent is not the same as the first photo I sent - look at the clutch part/attachment...

RD-M6000-GS - this is the photo i posted
while this is what you posted: RD-M6000-SGS

That's why I'm very confused as to why this exists: Shimano Deore RD-M6000 10-speed Shadow Plus Rear Derailleur

It's labeled as Deore M600-GS Shadow + (same specs) yet the cage is similar to XT M8000 GS but the clutch node part isn't the same

I'm not a beginner cyclist...so I know what I'm getting confused about....I'm just wondering if one is an older model or what so I will know which to buy for a spare leisure bike.

Thanks for the reply

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here's a better photo to show the issue:

Font Auto part Machine Fictional character Art

I'm just kinda wondering if Shimano made a new version of the Deore M6000 GS ? kinda making it look more like XT M8000 GS? ....because, of course, I'd prefer to buy the latest version as much as possible..

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Product Font Mecha Machine Fictional character

Besides the obvious that the clutch lever is on in one picture, off in the other and the angle of the cage is different, the one on the top left has a shiny finish.

The GS pictured that the o.p. states is on the Shimano site looks to be a long cage just like the SGS on the top right but the clutch housing is a different shape.

It looks like a medium cage mech on the bottom left in a matt finish.

After a quick glance at the links, tbh I wouldn't lose any sleep over it and go for either one in the shiny finish if I was using with a 50t'ish cassette.

I'd go for the matt one on the bottom if using with a 42t'ish cassette based on the look of the cage length and the max low sprocket capacity rating on the bike components.de website.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They look the same to me.
I don't mean to be rude but having a curved glossy cage and straight matte cage doesn't look the same.... also, if you look at the CLUTCH HOUSING (not if it's on or off), both M6000 GS RD don't have the same housing and different from each other...it's very different also compared to the SGS model...the XT M8000 GS also have a different clutch housing...

I've seen all of those models ( Deore SGS, the 2 GS and the XT GS) in stores days ago, and not even the stores know the reason why there are TWO TYPES of M6000 GS.

So what I hope to achieve with this thread is to know which model is the latest since all specs seem the same.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I don't mean to be rude but having a curved glossy cage and straight matte cage doesn't look the same.... also, if you look at the CLUTCH HOUSING (not if it's on or off), both M6000 GS RD don't have the same housing and different from each other...it's very different also compared to the SGS model...the XT M8000 GS also have a different clutch housing...

I've seen all of those models ( Deore SGS, the 2 GS and the XT GS) in stores days ago, and not even the stores know the reason why there are TWO TYPES of M6000 GS.

So what I hope to achieve with this thread is to know which model is the latest since all specs seem the same.
I would email Shimano directly instead of retailers who just sell them.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I was referring to your original pics in the first post. They are the same derailleur.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
the glossy/matte look can be as simple as the lighting being every so slightly different when the different pics were taken.
Like I've told Gumby_rider over and over - those that I've shown you are not the same....I've seen them all in the stores here that's why I got confused which to buy. I asked the stores for an M6000-RD SGS and they have only one type. But when I asked for the M6000-RD GS - they gave me two types....so how come there are two kinds of M600-RD GS?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I will post again the main differences that I was trying to point out...I think Harold and Gumby-rider failed to see my point.

Product Font Automotive wheel system Machine Auto part

Ignore the colors then.. focus on the Clutch mech of the M6000 GS's...those clutch mechs surely aren't the same right??? or am I blind???? If you get to see the actual RDs, you'll find that the glossy one has a different angle for it's clutch mech...but to lessen the confusion, let's say the clutch mech difference is very minimal - there's still the cage issue.

Now, about the cages - the Shimano site GS and SGS have the same cages - I've measured them in actual and they are of the same size and length...

Automotive tire Font Automotive wheel system Auto part Bicycle part

while the GS in the lower left have a similar (but not the same) straight cage to that of the M8000 GS..

Tire Automotive tire Font Bicycle part Auto part

I hope this post will clarify things...if not, then I will just wait until Shimano will answer my queries.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I will post again the main differences that I was trying to point out...I think Harold and Gumby-rider failed to see my point.

View attachment 1949603

Ignore the colors then.. focus on the Clutch mech of the M6000 GS's...those clutch mechs surely aren't the same right??? or am I blind???? If you get to see the actual RDs, you'll find that the glossy one has a different angle for it's clutch mech...but to lessen the confusion, let's say the clutch mech difference is very minimal - there's still the cage issue.

Now, about the cages - the Shimano site GS and SGS have the same cages - I've measured them in actual and they are of the same size and length...

View attachment 1949606

while the GS in the lower left have a similar (but not the same) straight cage to that of the M8000 GS..

View attachment 1949607

I hope this post will clarify things...if not, then I will just wait until Shimano will answer my queries.
It just makes no sense to me why stores here, including some US-based online stores, sell two types of M6000-RD GS without indicating which is more recent or why both have the same features yet they look differently.

·
since 4/10/2009
37,079 Posts
the clutch mechanism is NOT different. I'll give you the cage. but the clutch mechanism is the same, just different lighting/shadows and one shows the switch in the off position, whereas the other shows it in the on position.

manufacturers frequently make running changes. sometimes they'll get a different product designation and sometimes they don't.

most likely, since shimano isn't distinguishing, it makes no functional difference.

I have an early XTR M9100 shifter. It has a switch on it that lets you toggle between 12spd mode and 11spd mode. After I bought it, Shimano decided to cancel the 11spd parts the shifter would be compatible with. So more recently made shifters don't have the switch. same model designations between the two. when you buy from some online retailer, you honestly don't know if you're going to get an older stock shifter with the toggle, or a newer one without.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.