Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be in the 4 stage enduro race with my friend and we were thinking about going to Monterey before the race to see if we can ride any of the trails to prep. Does anyone know if any of them are open to the public?

·
RIDDLELDDIR
1,662 Posts
I've never been there so I don't how it's set up or what's accessible or not.
BLM parking is available in Laguna Seca. Through the kiosk and right, first lot on your immediate left. Bathrooms and showers right across the street.

Stage 4 doesn't even exist until just a few days before the race and is heavily patrolled once the course is running.

Riding from Toro is good, too. Just that is the bottom, whilst Laguna is the top and you def have to pedal back up to your car, which is never fun.

·
Registered
317 Posts
You can practice stages 2, 3, and 4 (dual slalom) the day before the race. Stage 1, the DH course is only open for practice on the morning of the race.

I have done it twice and to be honest, you really only need to practice the DH and DS courses, as the others are pretty tame in terms of nothing to catch you out - and the DH and DS courses are not hard either, but always good to take a lap or 2 down the DH course before sending jumps (for me at least) and the DS practice just to get used to how off camber and tight the gates are at the top (if you go out too fast its easy to blow gates).

·
I like mtn biking, too
3,249 Posts
Semi related question. I've never been to sea otter.. is it worth having this year be my first? I'm excited to demo some bikes. But not sure the racing will be fun in the sand...?
Only you can decide this :) But, my inclination would be - do it if you really want to do it! All of your competitors will be dealing with the sand as well so your strategy could be to get really good at it beforehand and make a good tire choice.

Although not impossible, it's hard to get a decent length ride in at the Sea Otter unless you are signed up for something. The trails get busy for the races. The other option is the grand fondo ride, which helps solve this problem.

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
Semi related question. I've never been to sea otter.. is it worth having this year be my first? I'm excited to demo some bikes. But not sure the racing will be fun in the sand...?
I always say I want to demo bikes but never do because it's always busy and there isn't really any good place to test them. Maybe this year will be a lot less busy if I had to guess. My main goal is to just try to rack up as many free water bottles as possible. Lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.