Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I often heard that the avid mechs are the heaviest brakes is that true, how do they compare to the light weight Marta sl or the avid juicy, I could never find a god source for info on that.

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
Yes, they are heavier...

So forget them for XC competitions but for everyday, trail use they are up there with the very best ones.

Try www.weightwheenies.com

I don't remember quite well the link is correct (I hope it should) but otherwise make a search for wheight wheenies and the page is full with info like the one you're looking for.

·
6x7=Dont Panic!
2,014 Posts
They are pretty heavy. I read great reviews but found I dont like them much. Maybe they were just set up poorly or something. I reccomend hydraulic. Much more powerful.

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
Festusjrf said:
I often heard that the avid mechs are the heaviest brakes is that true, how do they compare to the light weight Marta sl or the avid juicy, I could never find a god source for info on that.
They're not necessarily that much of a weight penalty. Definitely check out the weightweenies site. Everything is relative, and the differences really do depend on what you're comparing them to. Take the 353g weight listed there -- that includes the caliper, rotor, and mounting hardware -- then add to that the 1/2 the weight of your choice of levers (since lever weights are usually listed in pairs) and factor in a few more grams for the cable and housing. A very standard Avid SD5 lever adds 100g per end (200g front & rear).

The hydro listings include all hardware, including rotor, caliper, lever, hose, fasteners & fluid -- everything but the hub.

You'll find the Avids are on par with some hydros, a bit heavier than others (but in the ballpark), but can add half a pound to a bike if compared to a lightweight Formula B4 or similar.

·
A wheelist
5,991 Posts
Festusjrf said:

You can find the weight of those brakes and more on my Magura Cult webpages and yes the Avids are heavy, heavier than all other XC disc brakes. And you can believe those weights as *I* weighed tham myself.

The Avid setup was complete with SD7 levers, cables and bolts.

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
Totally

Festusjrf said:
Just for kicks, I weighted my avid rear system on my cheezy postage scale:

Avid -15.5 oz for Avid SD7 lever with alloy clamp bolt instead of stock steel, cable and caliper.
Magura Clara -10 oz for lever hose caliper with fluid.

Magura rotors are a tad heavier, by around 1 oz.

so swapping out for maguras saved me 10 oz front and rear. That's more than 1/2 pound.

that said, the Avids are pretty cool, and pretty cheap (although the Claras are about as cheap).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts