Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
They look fine, but...

.... no ratio adjustment. 160 grams isn't exactly super light. I would expect lighter for carbon. I think Avid SD7s come in around 190 grams, and it has a ratio adjustment. I would guess the hardware for the ratio adjustment would account for 30 grams.

I gotta say, I get a carboner for carbon. They look sweet.

·
6x7=Dont Panic!
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am not that partial to the Avid levers. I never use the adjuster things so they are sueless to me. On my bike now I ahve some SD7's. Avids are like putty. They bend too easily. Now I know to losten the bolt though, so if I crash I shouldnt have much trouble with them. I should probably do that with any lever though. Eh, mayhe paul is the way to go? But back to the topic, has anyone used those levers?

·
Registered
209 Posts
More off-topic chatter

pimpbot said:
.... no ratio adjustment. 160 grams isn't exactly super light. I would expect lighter for carbon. I think Avid SD7s come in around 190 grams, and it has a ratio adjustment. I would guess the hardware for the ratio adjustment would account for 30 grams.

I gotta say, I get a carboner for carbon. They look sweet.
SRAM 9.0 levers weigh 155 grams and have a leverage adjustment. They are made of some sort of plastic composite and have a 3 mm fixing bolt so you won't crimp your carbon bars, if you have them. They're going for $27 at Airbomb and Bikeman, which is where I bought my two pairs, but I guess anybody who has access to QBP could get the same deal. I just thought I would mention them because of the leverage adjustment.

·
Velodramatic
533 Posts
kingfurby said:
SRAM 9.0 levers weigh 155 grams and have a leverage adjustment. They are made of some sort of plastic composite and have a 3 mm fixing bolt so you won't crimp your carbon bars, if you have them. They're going for $27 at Airbomb and Bikeman, which is where I bought my two pairs, but I guess anybody who has access to QBP could get the same deal. I just thought I would mention them because of the leverage adjustment.
the old ones weight even less, and the old 9.0 sl levers had this cool carbon fake look. weight was 140 g AFAIR

·
6x7=Dont Panic!
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Max said:
the old ones weight even less, and the old 9.0 sl levers had this cool carbon fake look. weight was 140 g AFAIR
Even lighter actually, but they are hard to find. Only on ebay nowadays and they dont sell cheap. I would use them if I could find them.

·
Registered
796 Posts
donkekus said:
Yeah, or maybe it's because he has flooded Ebay with them. Over 30 pairs sold in the last two weeks...
I suppose I shouldn't bother mentioning what I got my Precision Billet Proshifts (121g with steel bolts) for then ;)

SD Ti for $37 + $7 shipping is nothing to get excited about IMO...

·
Just passing through....
1,331 Posts
eurorider said:
I suppose I shouldn't bother mentioning what I got my Precision Billet Proshifts (121g with steel bolts) for then ;)

SD Ti for $37 + $7 shipping is nothing to get excited about IMO...
Those things are great. Its too bad they don't make them anymore.

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,916 Posts
the generic alloy avid-clone levers I get from one of my distributors for $6cdn wholesale per pair are like 165 grams.

·
Just passing through....
1,331 Posts
tankhead said:
My Paul love levers are very light at about 115 grams I believe. tankout
Theres no question the Pauls are great levers. My Paul Compact levers weigh 121 grams with aluminum bolts. But they are not cheap.

·
6x7=Dont Panic!
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Eh, I have decided against these. Anyone know where the best deal on some Pauls is? I have bid on some on ebay and am watching that area already. If that doesnt work out though, what store has them the cheapest?

·
Just passing through....
1,331 Posts
TheRedMantra said:
Eh, I have decided against these. Anyone know where the best deal on some Pauls is? I have bid on some on ebay and am watching that area already. If that doesnt work out though, what store has them the cheapest?
JensonUSA has them for $89. I couldn't find them any cheaper.

·
6x7=Dont Panic!
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
donkekus said:
Anyone know where the best deal on a pair of Avid Ultimate levers is? Seen $115.00.

At 30grams more than the Pauls, are they worth it?
Well, pricepoint has them for $114.98, so thats cheaper than Jensons $115. I am sure they would pricematch though. I prefer Jenson to Pricepoint. Cambria suprisingly has them the cheapest at $114.95. On ebay there are a few. The best deals are always on ebay. But the best ultimate lever deals would probably be on the older grey silver ones or the even older silver black/ silver red ones. I think the Pauls will be better cause they are lighter cheaper and powerful. And thanks for hijacking Donk. (In the voice of the soup nazi) "No stem for you!"

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
TheRedMantra said:
Well, pricepoint has them for $114.98, so thats cheaper than Jensons $115. I am sure they would pricematch though. I prefer Jenson to Pricepoint. Cambria suprisingly has them the cheapest at $114.95. On ebay there are a few. The best deals are always on ebay. But the best ultimate lever deals would probably be on the older grey silver ones or the even older silver black/ silver red ones. I think the Pauls will be better cause they are lighter cheaper and powerful. And thanks for hijacking Donk. (In the voice of the soup nazi) "No stem for you!"
Hmm...
My girlfriend just impersonated the soup Nazi last night... instead of soup, or stem, she said sex. DAMN!

I think on EBAY people always get ripped off. I think MTBR or Craigslist is the best, but those levers are hard to find.

The Avids are sexier, and I think are the best levers for Vs known to mankind.

GIMME THAT STEM! MAN!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.