Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most UST tires makers do NOT recommend running their tires tubeless on NON UST rims (with a Stan conversion kit for example). Bontrager seems pretty explicit in the Tubeless ready users manual for example.

Are Stan's notubes.com considered UST?

Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have set up Stan's ZTR Olympic wheels for plenty of people. Yes, UST tires work just fine. Stan's will not claim UST, because that term is patented by MAVIC. Just run them, with some sealant, and you will be fine. As to the durability of Stan's rims, however...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hd1287 said:
I have set up Stan's ZTR Olympic wheels for plenty of people. Yes, UST tires work just fine. Stan's will not claim UST, because that term is patented by MAVIC. Just run them, with some sealant, and you will be fine. As to the durability of Stan's rims, however...
Thanks for the answer.

You are the first one to mention any problems regarding the durability of Stan's rim's... Can you be more specific?

Thanks.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Stans flat out told me that the Olympics were intended for really light guys riding really light bikes or really gentle terrain. I'm around 180 and they basically told me they wouldn't sell me Olympics - they recommended 355's which have performed just fine for me. Maybe that's what hd1287 is refering to.

Dan

·
Its got what plants crave
5,933 Posts
hd1287 said:
Uhhh... you can patent a term?

How come other manufacturers make UST compatible rims and tires then?

·
NoTubes.com
600 Posts
Jim311 said:
Uhhh... you can patent a term?

How come other manufacturers make UST compatible rims and tires then?
They license it. Our rims do not conform to the UST standard, we have our own patents pending on the design. UST tires do however work on our rims.

·
NoTubes.com
600 Posts
Yes, without sealant if you have the yellow tape and valve installed. We still recommend the sealant for puncture protection though. Depending on how good you are with the tape installation, you will occasionally get a leak at the overlap that the sealant will take care of in a second.

·
LA CHÈVRE
9,429 Posts
To me they are not. They are Tubeless but not UST... and they need the strips and sealant to properly work. Theorically, they work with only the strip but in the real world, you need the sealant with them. A UST rim will handle a UST tire and work, no need for boxing tape, sealant and other silly things.

UST is not a term, it's a registred trademark name that means Universal Standard for Tubeless, it's a Mavic patent and I think Hutchinson and Michelin worked with Mavic on it's creation. The standard is one part the profile shape of the inside the rim and the other part, the special beads of the tires.

As for durability, of course, you can't compare a superlight non-UST rim to a 500gram XM819 for exemple, they are not in the same class. You can probably destroy 4 Olympic rims before you even knock a XM819 out of true...

·
Registered
874 Posts
I'm looking at using the ZTR Arch with I-9 hubs and spokes. The rim weighs 420 grams and looks well built.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.