Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
boba fett on a bike
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '08 Epic Comp that I really enjoy riding. I'm 5'10" 225 lbs. My Epic is a Medium. I purchased a Shimano XT M775 wheelset and went tubeless with my stock Fast Trak Control LK tires. I've tried different tires pressures ranging from 35 to 60 psi.

The tires just don't feel right...especially when cornering. The sidewalls feel "flexy" for lack of a better term. I talked to someone on the trail the other day and he said he heard that Specialized sidewalls are "thin." He recommended I throw on a set of Maxxis. I've heard really good things about the Kenda Nevegals. Either I'm going to put my tubes back in or make the change to another tire and stay tubeless. I haven't had any other trouble with the bike. Any suggestions are welcomed. Thanks! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
This can be the case with any....

"light weight" tire. The best place to save weight is by reducing the amount of rubber (the heaviest component of any tire). Reducing the amount of rubber in the tread area is pretty silly as this is where most flats occur. You need some puncture resistance even on a stupid light race tire. So the sidewall is where the weight reduction usually comes from, i.e. thinner sidewalls.

If you like the tires that you are currently using, I would suggest getting a pair of Fast Track LK Control 2Bliss tires. The older models of many Specialized tires did not include the "2Bliss" (tubeless, get it?) construction. The 2Bliss tires have a bead specifically designed to be run with tubeless UST wheels, and a bit heavier sidewall construction to resist deflection when run tubeless. They do require sealant to be run in a tubeless configuration, but that's how they keep them lighter than a UST tire. A UST tire has an additional layer of nonporus rubber on the inside of the carcas to make them air tight. A "Tubeless Ready" tire like the Specialized 2Bliss or Bontrager TLR tires do not.

Otherwise trying another tire would work as well. I weigh in at 210lbs and have found that the Nevegal 2.1 DTC tire works well in the 30 to 35lb range when run tubeless. Minimal sidewall flex and great traction. Though they are a slower rolling tire than the Fast Track. Another good candidate would be the Maxxis Advantage 2.2. Good high volume and good traction. Also run in the 30 to 35psi range. Just keep in mind not every tire takes kindly to being run tubeless. The squirmy sidewall syndrom is quite common with light XC tires. I'm sure there are others out there that will work as well. Hopefully some one else will chime in with other options for you.

Good Dirt

·
Single(Pivot)and Happy
1,778 Posts
I can only speak for myself, based on my experiences. I've run ghetto, Maxxis rimstrips/ homebrew, TnT and UST. I have found UST to have the least amount of issues, and to perform as intended. I have a Geax Barro Mountain 2.3 that I run on UST rims with homebrew and have never had an issue. I have found non UST tires, especially lightweight tires, prone to sidewall flex, which underminds traction. Same tires used with tubes (as intended) perform more predictable. Go figure.

·
Registered
112 Posts
i talked to you bounty hunter the other day at tranq....squash said it best about specialized vs. ust tires. find yourself a tread pattern you like in a ust and ride'em

·
boba fett on a bike
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I appreciate everyone's input thus far.

I think I've decided to mount up some UST tires on the XT wheelset (I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with the Maxxis Crossmarks). I'm now debating on whether to go with 2.1 or 2.25 width. My Specialized tires are 2.0. Any thoughts on this?

·
err, 27.5+
4,928 Posts
Squash covered it very well :thumbsup:

When running fast track standard tires tubeless I ran them at 50psi (this was using ghetto tubless method on a standard rim). Even then when really pushed the tire would roll/squirm on the rim. So yes, for bigger riders the Spec tires are a bit flexy. Their 2Bliss is better.

WRT the crossmark...
Coming from a spec 2.0 I would go for the 2.1 crossmark. It will be similar volume and rolling resistance.

·
boba fett on a bike
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just wanted to give a quick update. I tried 30 psi in both the front and rear on my last ride this past weekend. It definitely felt better. I'm still not completely sold on these tires in tubeless form though. Maybe I'll try 25-28 psi on my next ride and see how that works.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts