Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
160lb expert xc,

hardtail, ride light on my equipment, not real rough riding and no big drops or anything
like that. i was thinking the supercomps but i have seen you say they don't build
well with stans rims. dt aerolites were my other consideration.

·
This place needs an enema
17,697 Posts
peabody said:
hardtail, ride light on my equipment, not real rough riding and no big drops or anything
like that. i was thinking the supercomps but i have seen you say they don't build
well with stans rims. dt aerolites were my other consideration.
Based on the limited info you've given, I'd say that for everyday wheels you'd be better served by lacing that rim/hub combo with a DT Comp/SuperComp combo.

If these wheels were race-day-only, you'd probably be happy with CX-Ray's or Aerolites. In other words, the durability and lateral rigidity issues inherent in that rim/spoke combo wouldn't be as much of a liability if they were limited use wheels.

MC

·
It's always greener
290 Posts
I ride them daily with Bontrager Mustang OSB rims. True as ever after 1 year of increasingly hard use (29ers change you line selection). I think they may give up some lateral rigidity, but as these are the only 29" wheels I've been on, I think they're great. My rider profile, and hardtail is the same.

Considering the rims, I do understand your concern.

Ryan

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,427 Posts
For what my experience is worth to you, here it is. In 20 years of building wheels, I have always used, and had excellent luck with DT's. Wheelsmith's have been decent too, but I prefer DT's due to the non drastic butting they provide. Last year I had two customers in the course of a few weeks order CX Rays, and build their wheels with them. Never in my life have I dealt with such crap. The spokes were ordered based on calculator lengths given, never had a problem with this calculator before. Used the exact same spoke lengths for identical wheels before. These spokes were the correct length, I measured them when they came in. Upon building them, they acted as though they were several mm's too long, don't ask me why, strike one. Called the importer to ask if this was commonplace, and should I adjust orded length in the future, got a very non interested response, and was told I was most likely at fault. Strike two. No self puffery here, but I have built literally thousands of wheels, so I fail to think it's a pure user error. Both customers had multiple spoke failures within a month of getting their wheels, strike three. I rebuilt the wheels at my own expense with DT's, not so much as a peep since. Why this happened I do not know, but when calling the importer to explain to them what had occured, I was told, "gee, that's too bad, we'll give you a 10% discount on your next Sapim order".........Not saying I know everything, but if someone can explain this, I'd love to hear it. Go DT's, they just plain work, and their customer service has always been excellent. Cheers!

·
Registered
590 Posts
My results

I have used CX-Rays on two different 29er wheel builds. One I built myself. The other was built by a local shop. Both 32 spoked.

I used spocalc.xls many of you use for both. I purchased the spokes on one build from the importer and for the second from a combination of three different places with one being the importer. The latter was because the importer didn't have enough of the length I needed. No issues with improper spoke length.

Other than cracking a rim at the weld from an odd landing with a low tire (no spoke breaks whatsoever, BTW), I have had no issues. The one build by a local shop needed one truing. I knew the spoke tension was not adequate, but didn't say anything until the wheels needed truing. I'm 205+ gear on a good day and although no one would mistake me for a freerider, I hit more than a few rocks, roots and the occasional launch off a ledge or small jump. YMMV.

·
meh....
3,588 Posts
MendonCycleSmith said:
The spokes were ordered based on calculator lengths given, never had a problem with this calculator before. Used the exact same spoke lengths for identical wheels before. These spokes were the correct length, I measured them when they came in. Upon building them, they acted as though they were several mm's too long, don't ask me why, strike one.
I bought some Sapim double butted spokes with Sapim nipples and had the same problem you did. It's the nipples, not the spokes. The Sapim nipples "bottom out" quicker than DT nipples. I think you do need to "shorten" the spokes a bit if you use Sapim nipples.

Monte

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.