Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I am 110 kg and according to Rockshox spring chart I should be using an extra firm spring for my Domain but even with the firm one I only get around 28% sag and I never get full travel.

Should I try a medium one even if it is far from recommended in order to get around 35% sag and a plusher behaviour? Please note that my fork was recently serviced so I dont believe that there is a malfunction with it.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
I weigh a little less than you, had a firm coil and fount it too harsh. Put a medium in my Domain, much better. This was my experience with the Domain and Boxxer, but not the Sektor where a medium was too soft. Potentially it is their strategy for big hit forks.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. I will order also a medium spring and try it and hopefully it will suit my riding style better since I don't do big jumps or drops.

·
n00b
40 Posts
Hm, this really seems to differ with the fork used. I've had a similar question here, because I too suspected the recommendations to be not exactly optimal. Despite my doubts I have ordered a soft spring now anyway (instead of x-soft), and will see how that works out for me.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I wouldn't run so much sag on that fork. The compression damper really isn't that good and bottoms easily. You need the coil to save some travel for steep rollers and holes. You can try softer but if you feel yourself wanting to go otb you should go back to the firmer coil.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I plan to lose some weight anyway so hopefully the medium spring will be useful sooner or later. The problem with the current firm spring is that it really feels really stiff with rather poor small bump sensitivity for a coil fork.

And regarding the travel I only get maximum 14cm out of 17cm with the compression fully off for the trails I ride so I thought it is worth trying the medium one. And to be honest in all my previous forks even the air ones the recommended psi or spring rates always resulted in a much stiffer ride.

Anyway I will try it once it arrives and see what happens.

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
I found the opposite - I go 165 and use the firm spring in my Lyrik even tho I should be on a medium. I use it for FR use tho - plenty of big drops and jumps. It had some harshness over the small stuff but I found I could dial that out by using little to no HSC and LSC (I think the Domain only has LSC adjustment?) for trail use. I definitely don't think they're over-sprung for their intended weight ranges.

Have FUN!

G MAN

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I suppose that it has to do with the intended use. Domain is more a FR fork so the intended use includes a lot of big jumps and drops so most probably the springs are hard enough to withstand them but as a result of this feel stiff for AM use.

For example I find the firm spring a little more stiffer than ideal for my use and please note that the recommended spring is the extra stiff. On the other side eventhough the small bump sensitivity isn't ideal it gives me confidence that no matter how much I push it it won't bottom at least harshly. Anyway I ordered the medium spring as well and once I receive it I will report back.

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
I suppose that it has to do with the intended use. Domain is more a FR fork so the intended use includes a lot of big jumps and drops so most probably the springs are hard enough to withstand them but as a result of this feel stiff for AM use.
Actually the Lyrik and Domain use the same springs - check the part nos. The Lyrik DH's intended use is the same as for the Domain which is just a cheaper version without the adjustability and Mission Control damper.

Have FUN!

G MAN

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Ive had 3 domains and still have a totem. I weigh 210. RS recommends xfirm for me for the domain and firm for the totem. heres what i actually ran and felt good:

160 mm domain: firm
160 mm domain uturn: firm
180 mm domain: med for trail, firm for drops.
totem: med for all riding, turn up hsc for drops.
I also think rs's recomemndations are too firm.

The domain uses the same spring whether travel is 160, 170, or 180, or at least when i owned them. Because of greater sag needed for the longer fork i needed to go down a spring for a supple feel for trail riding.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I'm 150lbs and maybe 160-165 with gear and pack. This should put me more in the soft range for my Sektor. I've been happy with my x-soft spring. It gave me about 27% sag the last time I checked.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Last week I installed the medium spring in my Domain and today I had the opportunity to test it in a 4 hours demanding ride with some fire roads and many technical trails.

In one word "Great". Personally I don't understand what RS was thinking when suggesting an X Firm spring for my weight since even with the Firm one the ride was terrible. I suppose that if I was doing huge drops then maybe a firmer spring could work but for general AM use the medium spring gives me the required SAG, good small bump sensitivity and support through its travel.

Still it is heavy fork and I will upgrade it within this year in order to save around 1 kg but except for that with the new spring I performs much much better.

·
Registered
187 Posts
No experience for Domain, but for boxxer I think what they recommend is right. I am 160lbs geared up and the red medium spring for boxxer is perfect fit for me.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Maybe the Boxxer spring rates are different than the Domain ones. For me the medium spring is perfect and to be honest in all my previous air and coil shocks I always had lower psi and spring rates than recommended.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts